Penny pinching

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically its either a good 2 weeks of going out and drinking, or some article of clothing... hehe. I hate bills, they f me in the a bigtime!

Ive always only got like 5 quid of credit on my phone, Ive always got like 15 quid spending money on me (which I try to save). I dont eat out really, dont eat vegetables or fruit (not that you can get anything great in UK anyway), and I dont drink sodas.

Basically I cut my food consumtion to the bare essentials... meat, pasta, beer. My favorite drink is a cheap ass cider called K which tastes more like lager and cider mixed together, and its something stupid like 9%.

Great drink is a snakebite made from K cider and that Carlsberg export (like 11%). And of course Tescos Blackurrant squash.Doesnt taste too hot but it gets you fuuuuuuuuucked!

I dont drink an excessive amount and I only go to club nights if im getting in free,so really yeah the money i save on not going out 4or5 times a week on the lash kind of affords me my clothese and shoes teamed with a bit of reselling when times are hard

Up until recently I mooched off my parents, but I spent too much money recently so that's that. They said if i wanna buy something, I have to get a job.

I'll be working part time starting September.

oh and I'm in high school so i live with my parents.. no bills for me.

What are you doing to afford your lifestyle?

this does not regard the few that have jobs that give them the luxury

I don't really get the question. Do you mean that people who have well-paying jobs need not answer?

In my case, the more money I make the more expensive the things I buy! So we are all in the same boat in some form.

i work all the time.

my only real expenses are rent and my car, so all of my other money goes toward photo supplies (which is really a work expense, i guess) and clothes (i really don't care enough about much else to spend money on it).

I don't really get the question. Do you mean that people who have well-paying jobs need not answer?

In my case, the more money I make the more expensive the things I buy! So we are all in the same boat in some form.

I guess i meant this question was aimed at the dudes who are buying expensive clothing, shoes, accessories etc but cannot necessarily afford them unless they did something drastic

it's stupid imho to buy expensive/luxury clothes if you have to scrimp and save to get them, if you can lead that lifestyle then more power to you, if not there's no shame in having what you can afford. It's like the fact the every single woman on the street is dragging an lv bag around, if you can have a 1000+ bag then that's fine but it's your only one and it takes you three months to save up for a fake then it's stupid.

it's stupid imho to buy expensive/luxury clothes if you have to scrimp and save to get them, if you can lead that lifestyle then more power to you, if not there's no shame in having what you can afford. It's like the fact the every single woman on the street is dragging an lv bag around, if you can have a 1000+ bag then that's fine but it's your only one and it takes you three months to save up for a fake then it's stupid.

I think there is some truth to that but there is nothing wrong with saving for an item if you are on a less than ideal budget. That sort of shows the value of a dollar. But also you're right that really these expensive things are not things we need, they are things we want.

I have just been spending the money I have saved up for years. More than I ever have really. After buying only a couple pairs of expensive jeans I have a whole new outlook on money. Now time to go back to school and work to make back the money and spend some more!

Luckily I feel that I am at the point where I am fully satisfied with my wardrobe and really don't need anything else. I might occasionally purchase a new pair of shoes or the like but I don't need any more jeans, shirts, suits, etc. Guess it may have taken a few thousand to get to this point though........:rolleyes:

I think there is some truth to that but there is nothing wrong with saving for an item if you are on a less than ideal budget. That sort of shows the value of a dollar. But also you're right that really these expensive things are not things we need, they are things we want.

I have just been spending the money I have saved up for years. More than I ever have really. After buying only a couple pairs of expensive jeans I have a whole new outlook on money. Now time to go back to school and work to make back the money and spend some more!

i meant it in the aspect of projecting an image of your social class, akin to overloading yourself to lease a car that makes you seem incredibly wealth when in reality you are barely getting by

ah gotcha. i definitely think people should definitely keep things in perspective about the importance of some things over others. insurance, living expensives, eating healthy, etc over buying expensive clothes

youve got it all backwards

starve yourself and sleep on a bench but wear really fashionable expensive clothes and you'll be fine.

I was that kid who saved their quarters dimes, lunch money, everything, and then ut it in the bank, my dad bought me a sports car for my first car, I sold it and bought a junker, and all that, I just saved like crazy forever, cause I wanted to be able to be comfortable when I was in school busting butt.... and i did that!!!! And now i do odd jobs and such, and take about 16+ credit hours a semester, plus accellerated summer and spring and winter courses, and will have a job engineering in less than a year. (meaning I get my degree int he actual time that is estimated)

Work very little, hustle everybody else, live in a duplex with 12 people and drive a H2 with 26" rims on it with 15 TV's in it and the most expensive shit you can wear that the bank actually owns!!!! yes live it up!

I'd say 95% of super talkers get the money from their parents.

Probably because the main demographic is probably between 17 and 25 many of whom have not finished school yet and are just settling in. Very few young people make enough cash to pay for all necessary expenses and still buy selvage denim.

Aside from clothing and entertainment (clubbing/drinks/dating) I'm very frugal with my money. When I'm not out, I usually cook at home and tend to be very frugal with my utilities; using air conditioning, water, etc to a minimum. Same goes with cell-phone use. Since I live in Tokyo; I don't need a car and live 15 minutes from work, so I walk to work everyday and save money on transportation costs. I work pretty much 12+ hours everyday, sometimes weekends, but that's the reality of working for an investment bank. I also have been investing in a off-shore funds of funds for the last year; investing 1,000 dollars a month on a consistent basis. Currently I have a 12-15% ROI which is great for future spending plans I might have. While my job affords me the luxuries of buying my favorite labels; I tend to live pretty simply aside from that...