Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

I got a piece of leather from leathergoodsconnection and made what I think is a fairly good economy belt ($21) with some old tools. It's English harness leather and extremely thick as you can see in picture. Have not tanned or done edges yet. For my next project I am going to make same thing except get some brass studs to go with the all brass hardware. It looks ok?

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last one is a comparison to the 5yo belt it is replacing which looked almost the same in color at one point.

1.jpg

X-post from "Recent Purchases":

finally, its home

Redmoon Peacemaker-02

09072007305.jpg

09072007306.jpg

09072007304.jpg

i am seriously in love with this, the colour, feeling and smell is on some other level..

on a sidenote for justiz2, I used the oil in the small bottle for initial oiling, and it did an okay job, i believe that obenaufs or neatsfoot would be better, but the redmoon stuff did the job on my peacemaker...

how much did you end up paying superstar? it looks pretty amazing..

500$, proxy service through japanhookup.. i think it was about 65000 yen all included...

When I asked Naoto the zombie about oiling and basic wallet care he said that you shouldn't rub any neatsfoot or any other crazy oils into your wallet.

He told me to tan the wallet inside and out for a couple days till it is caramel and then very lightly go over it with some mink oil and leave it like that for 24 hours or overnight, then grab a rag or t-shirt and wipe off the excess oil.

RM says that oiling a frequently used wallet during its lifetime is unnecessary as the natural oils from your hands while you are using it will keep it from dehydrating. But if you feel its getting dry from the heat or cold then doing the original mink oil application method is OK.

col2ji8.jpg

According to spirit winds website:

Left:raw (unstained) Middle: after sun tanning: Right: after prolonged use.

but then again, people can do whatever they feel like.. i bet theres no "best" way of doing it, i believe that one method can be just as good as another (just like the frequent washing of jeans question).. it all comes down to how much you use your wallet and how you handle it...

Yeah you have a point but when people have been into leather for so long and are so experienced with it, its easy to think that they would know the "best" way. I mean even RM says don't oil it, surely they would know whats best for their own product. But then again Nudie says don't wash for 6 months and Denime says to wash and tumble dry...

but eventhough RM says so, they send leather oil with their products anyhow... theres no such thing as a right way of doing things... it depends on what you want to achieve with your product i think...

but youre right, people with experience knows how to treat the product so it lasts and looks well.. but not all people may be satisfied with the way the professionals say it should be done, eh ?

Superstar: Kick-ass wallet! Did you tan it?

yup, but not very much (approx. 8 hours).. but i like it this way... its really really dope, and as emaze said, IT SMELLS FANTASTIC !

Did you tan and oil them before using?

As for the blotches and also for protection from water, I'd use Obenauf's.

http://www.obenaufs.com/

Also, for what it's worth, I really haven't been very impressed with anything I've seen from LGC here. Sorry.

no tanning, no oiling, i was under the impression that his belts were already tanned/oiled unless you specifically got the untreated belt.

this is for the guy that wants to know what to buy

i would always get a RM over a KC. i was in doubt for ages before deciding to get a RM. but when you see it you will know why rm is so special.

Frinkking nice peacemaker superstar!!

Welcome to the RM Peacemaker club:frontwalletoiled.jpgP1030185.jpg

Superstar you finally got it! Congrats...... the smell is crazy right! LOL...

on a side note I was in BIG yesterday and they had Samurai Long wallets untanned in the store for next season I believe. They looked pretty sick I'll try to get some pics possibly....