Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thank you all.

Yes, I know a pair of horse butt Alden's would complete the collection, but alas, those will have to wait. I am taking donations though ;)

I'm not sure what the wooden table is made of as my girlfriend bought it. I buy the boots, she buys the furniture....fair trade isn't it?

I will never again place shoe's on a table.

shameless plug:

selling tan suede J Crew desert boots and slip-on ankle boots in the supermarket for only $80 + shipping... various sizes!

I can also get the Red Wing x J Crew boots (http://www.jcrew.com/catalog/product.jhtml?id=prod88346191&catId=cat300106) in the "dark wood" color in size 11 or 12 or the "hickory" color in 11 or 13. Retail is $198, I can provide them for $120 shipped in the US.

If anyone's interested, let me know asap since these could disappear!

As far as the whites vs Indys. I don't have regular Indys. only the shell, but they are very similar boots aestetically, they just come at it from different ends. I would say that stitching, materials and craftsmanship are equal in both. Whites makes boots and Alden makes shoes. Whites is making the most refined shoe like boot they can and Alden is making the most boot like shoe they can and they hit very close to each other. They do have styling differences, the heel, the larger welt on the Whites that sort of thing and those are important to the feel of the boot.

In the end, the Semi dress is a boot and you wouldn't be afraid to do booty things in it. Go for a hike, shovel the show, push someones car out of a ditch, boot stuff. The Alden at it's heart is a shoe and I think it's much better suited to the shoe stuff that makes up 99% of the lives of 99% of us.

Really, you probably need both. :)

I think you just summed up the last 300 pages of this thread.

Yeah, I do need both. Thanks.

Waiting by the phone Greg? Can't wait to see those experimental indies.

btw: I was thinking to pick up some trees while in NYC, are shoe repair places a good source of cheap ones?

Yeah, by the phone at my desk job.

Shoe trees - there are lots of shoe-repair places right around Grand Central Station, and they have cedar shoe trees for less than shoe stores. They come in S, M and L sizes. BTW, the Alden store is 1 block away from Grand Central too, and Allen Edmonds is around the corner....

I should be getting my Superleather Indies and GTs back from B. Nelson today. They said they'd call...

whats superleather greg? could you explain it to us? any pictures or sample pictures??

^Here's the NYC Alden shop's info:

Alden Shoe Shops

(212) 687-3023

344 Madison Ave (betw. 43+44th Streets)

New York, NY 10017-4613

"Superleather" was just an ephemeral buzz I was hooking onto. Remember the gossip that a new SuFu forum was maybe gonna be created, called superleather? Parallel to superdenim? That same week, I took a pair of new Indies to B. Nelson to have them put on premium J.R. leather soles and heels with steel v-plates. Taking advantage of the timing, I dubbed them Superleather Indies.... That was weeks ago, before Bill posted his leather-sole Indies, and B. Nelson still hasn't finished... So I'm hoping the extra time will mean extra beautiful...

whoaaa how much for it? how much do they have cats paw put on a pair over at your cobbler?

thanks for the new yawk address greg

do they have a web shop? where i could browse?

Been following this thread pretty close lately, like it's been said before, this is defenitely the best thread on sufu.

Today was a pretty nice day, i received my Cat's Paws White's and Indy's from Greg (thanks again, great to deal with you!) after their almost 3 week travel.

They fit great, just my luck Greg seems to have the same broad feet i have.

I had just time to shoot a few pics wearing the White's before it got too dark.

dsc0480webui9.jpg

^ very nice white's mich.

I'm toying with the idea of removing my vibram 705's. I feel they're a bit too platformish with them on. Thinking of removing them and just putting on a thin rubber sole to cover the leather.

I'm toying with the idea of removing my vibram 705's. I feel they're a bit too platformish with them on. Thinking of removing them and just putting on a thin rubber sole to cover the leather.

man, if you're thinking of throwing away your 705s, send them to me!

I don't know if anyone here likes Paraboot, the French shoe maker. I've tried finding a source in NYC but no luck. This is a pair that I've had for years and like them even more than when I first got them. There's something really substantial about them. They're practically indestructible.

para1.jpg

para3.jpg

I'm going to take these to my cobbler to see if he can put a double leather sole on them. I'll post pictures if it he can do it.