Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Thou should never bought a pair of shoes without leather sole. There is usually a possibility to choose if the shoe is worthy one.

No. The Desert Boots actually look good in it. But the Desert Boot isn't an ordinary shoe. As I said before, I don't know what to call that collection of shoes which I'm talking about, which is pretty stupid of me since you won't understand what I'm talking about.

No. The Desert Boots actually look good in it. But the Desert Boot isn't an ordinary shoe. As I said before, I don't know what to call that collection of shoes which I'm talking about, which is pretty stupid of me since you won't understand what I'm talking about.

yeah, i don't understand what you're talking about at all. anyways, welcome to superfuture!

yeah, i don't understand what you're talking about at all. anyways, welcome to superfuture!

At the core though, it's just about me preferring leather soles from other soles.

Thank you very much! While you're right here, let me compliment you on your excellent AE's. Stunningly beautiful.

Hi, sorry for this question, but what's the difference between the RW 1905 and the 1907? I was at David Z, and they had the 1907s. They also had the lumberjack moc toes, with the plaid thingies on the side. Oh, and they had a suede moc toe like Bill's, and a black rough out leather one, plus something called 8131, which looked like a slightly redder leather than the 875. All with the white sole.

I can't see myself buying any shoes that doesn't have a genuine, hard leather sole.

I can feel part of what you're saying. I was at Crockett and Jones yesterday, and they agreed, most folks these days prefer what they imagine is a soft comfy comfort over classic style. So there are lots of rubber and plastic shoes, with the sneaker as the guiding felt esthetic. I love the look of a beautiful leather Goodyear welt, a leather sole, and a multi-level leather heel. And if the shoes fit, they are as comfortable as a sneaker, or much better! The fit is partly due to care on the buyer's end, and partly due to well-experienced shoe fitters (and not mere shoe salespeople who throw a box at you).

But I can't say I buy *only* leather soles. I've got composition-sole R.M. Williams for the rain, Vibram Marine-Corps Matterhorn boots, and my Indies, which rock. They give that right look from the side, and when the soles wear out (maybe before ! :-) ) I'll get them resoled in leather.

Gratuitous Indy photos! My new pair looks even better, because I'm building up a pretty good layer of polish, and the surface is getting kind of translucent looking...

indy1.gif

indy2.gif

indy3.gif

man, september is a long way to go, tempted to cop a pair of the Indys to hold me over... nice boots Greg...

Yeah airfrog, I'm liking them more and more. Because they FIT! They make lots of widths and their Truebalance last fits a wider foot. Unlike lots of boots from Crockett & Jones, Lobb, Church's and even Trickers.

That's right, Trickers. Today I tried on the Stow. (Pic from a Japanese vendor's site:

nb-rickers004-1.gif

Today I went to Brunello Cucinelli in the West Village (379 Bleecker Street, 212 627 9202). They've had Trickers for a month now, and had the Stow in 10 in a khaki colored suede. It turns out that if you are a retailer and order like 12 pairs across different sizes, they will make any leather/color/sole combination represented in their inventory. Since Bunello Cucinelli is featuring a Spring season line, they are doing lights, brights and whites in color. Oh well, at least I got to try on the Stow - in case I loved it, I could order it from the U.K., maybe Pediwear.

So how was it??

The Stow last is most like a longer and narrower Truebalance Indy last. Kind of a broad, flat shape. But a little narrower than an Alden EE. Anyway, the smallest they had was a 10, and I'd be a 9 or 9.5. and . It felt a little long and narrow for my foot. And that store can't do special orders, so one must wait till next season. So I'll call Nom de Guerre and see what they have.

Interesting factoid - the manager at Brunello thought they were the only retailer in NYC carrying Trickers!

I can feel part of what you're saying. I was at Crockett and Jones yesterday, and they agreed, most folks these days prefer what they imagine is a soft comfy comfort over classic style. So there are lots of rubber and plastic shoes, with the sneaker as the guiding felt esthetic. I love the look of a beautiful leather Goodyear welt, a leather sole, and a multi-level leather heel. And if the shoes fit, they are as comfortable as a sneaker, or much better! The fit is partly due to care on the buyer's end, and partly due to well-experienced shoe fitters (and not mere shoe salespeople who throw a box at you).les wear out (maybe before ! :-) ) I'll get them resoled in leather.

When I check out the sole of a fine leather shoe and find something like vibram, I feel cheated. It feels like the sole is not a part of the shoe at all.

And, your indy's are fantastic looking.

really love those !!!!will get me a pair for sure...someday later

Yeah airfrog, I'm liking them more and more. Because they FIT! They make lots of widths and their Truebalance last fits a wider foot. Unlike lots of boots from Crockett & Jones, Lobb, Church's and even Trickers.

That's right, Trickers. Today I tried on the Stow. (Pic from a Japanese vendor's site:

nb-rickers004-1.gif

Today I went to Brunello Cucinelli in the West Village (379 Bleecker Street, 212 627 9202). They've had Trickers for a month now, and had the Stow in 10 in a khaki colored suede. It turns out that if you are a retailer and order like 12 pairs across different sizes, they will make any leather/color/sole combination represented in their inventory. Since Bunello Cucinelli is featuring a Spring season line, they are doing lights, brights and whites in color. Oh well, at least I got to try on the Stow - in case I loved it, I could order it from the U.K., maybe Pediwear.

So how was it??

The Stow last is most like a longer and narrower Truebalance Indy last. Kind of a broad, flat shape. But a little narrower than an Alden EE. Anyway, the smallest they had was a 10, and I'd be a 9 or 9.5. and . It felt a little long and narrow for my foot. And that store can't do special orders, so one must wait till next season. So I'll call Nom de Guerre and see what they have.

Interesting factoid - the manager at Brunello thought they were the only retailer in NYC carrying Trickers!

I love this thread!

I've been wanting some proper grown-up's boots for a while now and this thread has given me so much info! Those trickers are great but I think my favorites so far are the C&J ones that Synthi posted. Beautiful.

Better get saving.........

Today I've tried for the first time some Alden Black Shell Cordovan Chukka boots(1340) I've never tried such a great pair of shoes. It's the heavy weight champ of the shoes and boots I've seen and tried on in my life.

I was very happy to have the possiblilty to try them on, so I could be sure about the correct size since it's often trouble to buy shoes online, this made me think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a sizing chart, so people could check it out before ordering their shoes/boots online.

What do you guys think about the idea of a sizing chart?

I'm willing to collect all your leather boot and shoe sizing information and update it frequently.

I've made a quick excel file with my shoe/boot info and if you send me yours I'll be happy to add it.

Feel free to correct or give me your input about the file

You probably also noticed that english isn't my native language, so if you guys think that the descriptions aren't ok, I'll be glad to have your input.

And if the chart isn't clear, feel free to contact me.

Cheers

David

shoechart2kn6.jpg

Today I've tried for the first time some Alden Black Shell Cordovan Chukka boots(1340) I've never tried such a great pair of shoes. It's the heavy weight champ of the shoes and boots I've seen and tried on in my life.

I was very happy to have the possiblilty to try them on, so I could be sure about the correct size since it's often trouble to buy shoes online, this made me think it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a sizing chart, so people could check it out before ordering their shoes/boots online.

What do you guys think about the idea of a sizing chart?

I'm willing to collect all your leather boot and shoe sizing information and update it frequently.

I've made a quick excel file with my shoe/boot info and if you send me yours I'll be happy to add it.

Feel free to correct or give me your input about the file

You probably also noticed that english isn't my native language, so if you guys think that the descriptions aren't ok, I'll be glad to have your input.

And if the chart isn't clear, feel free to contact me.

Cheers

David

shoechart2kn6.jpg

Another source of information:

Styleforum shoe size thread

Greg you're considering Trickers? imo they're not as aesthetically appealing as other stuff out there, the contours aren't as pretty and the lasts don't appear to be as elegant. Just to mention, when I first visited Jermyn Street in Dec 06 I had no idea it was the gentleman's shoe mecca, I was simply following directions to Trickers and left abrubtly after the store staff were very unfriendly & unhelpful and then serendiptously stumbled across Crockett & Jones. Maybe you should try to develop the chance of C&J NY making the Skye on your preferred last (337 I think, it is a beautiful last) or assuming you don't have a set budget, do Edward Green do a wingtip boot? If so I bet it would raise the bar considerably.

I was at Jermyn Street in November. I was working there for a few weeks, and on long lunch breaks would zip over to Jermyn St. looking for another obsession - men's shaving gear and fragrances. Taylor of Old Bond Street, and my favorite place, right around the corner on St. James, D.R. Harris. Didn't see Trumper's though!

So I stopped in at Edward Green and asked them why they are better than Crockett and Jones. "Oh dear," said the salesman. "We are on a different level entirely." :-)

I don't know where to get an Edward Green fitting in NYC. Saks sometimes has had trunk shows, according to SF.

Tricker's Stow costs $675 in the U.S. It's about the same that C&J's Skye would cost if they could put it on the 325 last. I'll call when I feel like spending that much. I sort of want to see how the Whites Semi Dress come out before spending over $600. I have very good contacts at C&J, so I'll let youse guys know! The Villiers rock too!

I was at Jermyn Street in November. I was working there for a few weeks, and on long lunch breaks would zip over to Jermyn St. looking for another obsession - men's shaving gear and fragrances. Taylor of Old Bond Street, and my favorite place, right around the corner on St. James, D.R. Harris. Didn't see Trumper's though!

Oooh, you are opening the floodgates to a whole different area of interest here :D

So I stopped in at Edward Green and asked them why they are better than Crockett and Jones. "Oh dear," said the salesman. "We are on a different level entirely." :-)

I don't know where to get an Edward Green fitting in NYC. Saks sometimes has had trunk shows, according to SF.

Tricker's Stow costs $675 in the U.S. It's about the same that C&J's Skye would cost if they could put it on the 325 last. I'll call when I feel like spending that much. I sort of want to see how the Whites Semi Dress come out before spending over $600. I have very good contacts at C&J, so I'll let youse guys know! The Villiers rock too!

The Tricker's Stowe is really that much? Wow. Isn't that pretty much C&J handgrade level?

Yes it is, and for that, there is just no contest. I tried on some C&J handgrades yesterday, and they are the most elegant shoe I've ever had on. Pinched violin waist with a recessed welt, fabulous full-leather insole with the C&J logo.

Anyway, I'm going back today, just found out they *can* do the Skye on any last I want. More info later!

Greg I know the shop you mean, the one with all the shaving paraphernalia in the window? Dope. Now if only I could grow a proper man's beard . . :( However probably just as well, I know I'd mishandle those blade shaving thingies such that people would think I'd just been attacked by a knifeman. :rolleyes:

You know my love of and knowledge of shoes grows with this thread, my eye for these thingd develops every day. For instance, back when I posted my Skye's on pg. 87 I took them and Familyman's Alden wingtips at face value, both looked beautiful. Now though when I look back I have new appreciations, mine have speed lacing eyelets, the Aldens have a sleeker shape and a gorgeous colour, the Skye's have an actual extra panel stiched on the heel cup, the Aldens feature some broquing and stitcting only, dovetailed rubber inserts at the heel blah blah - there's so much to learn and appreciate.

Which brings me nicely to the salesman you met at Edward Green and what he had to say. I believe him but at my current state of knowledge, I don't think I could discern the differences by myself. It's fun learning though. :)

*edit* Trickers in the US are a RIP OFF!!!!!!! See how you go Greg, exchange a few e-mails with them without disclosing you're from the US - I'm happy to do hookups at cost, feel free to keep this in mind. Cheers.