Shoes that look better with age...

mizanation

Sorry for the shite pic, ,but I wanted to share these before they got worn...these are the Grenson brogues I mentioned earlier, picked up for a bargain. I walk around 3 miles a day as part of my commute to work, so these will be braving the elements...

Captured these mid-polish, I'm using a red polish on the tan boots to bring out a richer patina. The rear boot is the original shade, the flash has kinda killed the contrast between them...

dscf1514.jpg

Look great CTB . With my tan Loakes Burford I apply a coat of oxblood then a coat of brown polish , nothing fancy and with the boots getting some wear the effect is a subtle copper patina with some darker and lighter shades too . Very pleasing to the eye and friends have remarked on it .

Look great CTB . With my tan Loakes Burford I apply a coat of oxblood then a coat of brown polish , nothing fancy and with the boots getting some wear the effect is a subtle copper patina with some darker and lighter shades too . Very pleasing to the eye and friends have remarked on it .

Yeah, I used light tan and then oxblood polish on these. I'll take some proper pics at the weekend, and link a pic of what they looked like outta the box.

This thread has really taken me back to when I used to take some pride in what I put on my feet (beyond decent trainers!), so all kudos to the people in this thread for having helped reignite that passion.

Brett Viberg is making those for me right now but with a single layer leather sole.

Speaking of Viberg...walked in to their shop last week. I needed a pair of steel toe boots for work. I found a stack boxes that were marked down significantly...so I bought two pair. Not as pretty as the Take5 collab, but these should age gracefully. I love Victoria!

fNbGll.jpg

zFIWRl.jpg

orVMUl.jpg

fyeWsl.jpg

l3dTal.jpg

ckSyYl.jpg

tgCDpl.jpg

This thread has really taken me back to when I used to take some pride in what I put on my feet (beyond decent trainers!), so all kudos to the people in this thread for having helped reignite that passion.

Funny enough a friend and myself had a similar conversation last week . He brought a pair of German army jackboots back from Hamburg before xmas so we got around to talking about boots/shoes . I remarked that whilst they looked really cool they weren't my style and as much as i admire the American workboot posted on the forum I feel the same way about those too . I said to him it probably comes from my background (and age . i'm 45yrs) I was brought up around the shipyard in Belfast and all men wore workboots as they worked ship or aircraft building or as dockers . However , I noticed this more when I went to pubs / working men social clubs with my dad in my late teens , the same men you seen with the work boots and clothes during the week would be in their best suits with amazing highly polished leather oxford / derby / brogue dealer boots in tan , brown and burgundy on the weekend . Really flashy guys in their 30/40/50s with big greasy quiffs and gold jewellry , my dad was the same . That always stayed with me .In the 70s in my early teens , dads would buy thier kids lace up black square toed oxford boots , these then had Blakeys applied to give the clickety sound , I was lucky enough to have these !!! Even now I prefer a stylish traditional dealer / lace up brogue boots or shoe . They do bring the memories flooding back of the 70/early 80s back . The flip side is that the shipbuilding is gone as is the traditional working man and the sense of style and pride in dressing they had .

About 400 pages back I read that RWs don't come with insoles... my bad.

Sorry, I read soles not insoles. Anyway, as Cheep said, the leather will mold to the shape of your foot, put in insoles if they are loose or uncomfortable.

Socks: I wear Pantherella wool or alpaca all winter which are beyond great and cotton all summer. I don't like thin dress socks in boots and I cannot stand synthetic socks.