traveling from russia>mongolia>china>india>se asia any places to go for denim?

90and90

I am about 8 months in, started in London in March (im from New York) hitched/train/bus all the way to where I am now which is Mongolia. I have been traveling with a pair of Allevol's which I picked up in London and some Beatle Busters (HXB01) 21oz heavy mofo's for traveling-pants.... Ending in Australia in March.

What I want from you wonderful people... I LOVE denim, I love everything about it, its another art form to me (im a photographer who is freelancing in some conflict zones) and the next 3 months ill be traveling through the above countries doing a small project. I was wondering if anyone could point me to a denim factory still using shuttle looms and maybe using natural indigo just for touristic and buying reasons. I remember reading a post on here last year about a guy who stumbled upon some levi repos in india that were really good quality and I would love to pick up some cheap selvedge repos along the way (and possibly proxy if people want). My friend who is a girl also wants to pick up a cheap pair of dry denim (soon) but I dont know any good brands sold in mongolia/ western china, we might be going through beijing but probably not because its too far out of our way for India. ANY direction would be immensely appreciated.

tldr.

1. Jean manufactures in Mongolia/Western China/India that I could visit possibly

2. Under $100 USD dry selvedge that can be picked up in Mongolia or West China for women

3. Possibly can proxy if you send me a good place

I have a super-low post count, ive been lurking here for a while, thought this would be a good time to shout out.

All the big, commercial denim factories are in south-west of china. About 60-70% of the global production finds their way through China at one point, but you probably don't want to go there. Nothing to see but pollution and ugly washed jeans.

Besides a few stores in Beijing and Hong Kong, you should check out Red Cloud Jeans (see thread in superdenim). Try to get in touch with them through their blog (mentioned somewhere in the thread) and maybe they let you see their workshop and source base...

All the big, commercial denim factories are in south-west of china. About 60-70% of the global production finds their way through China at one point, but you probably don't want to go there. Nothing to see but pollution and ugly washed jeans.

Besides a few stores in Beijing and Hong Kong, you should check out Red Cloud Jeans (see thread in superdenim). Try to get in touch with them through their blog (mentioned somewhere in the thread) and maybe they let you see their workshop and source base...

YES! That is awesome, red cloud, ill check them out. I was in Moscow for a week this month by the way.... Thanks so so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Alright headed to redcloud in Shenyang in a few days!!!! Any other made in ______ jeans or workshirts I can get directly from maker? Doing E China > SE asia > AU

Buying a motorcycle in Malaysia to poke around on for a few months so I have some time to kill.