The Definite Guide to Cheap Good Things

kvc06

I'd like to begin a reference to things that are both cheap and good.

By cheap I am thinking around under $100, but in the case of socks or something, the number must obviously be much less.

Add anything you want and say why it's good, does it go on sale often, and how much you should expect to pay. This is supposed to be a helpful guide, try not to turn it into an argument.

I've found many cheap things over the years that satisfy my needs, here are some:

Lands End Canvas oxfords - fit well, decently thick, can often be had on deep sale, especially non-staple colors. The blue and white are worth full price, but I'd wait for the other colors to go on sale. I think they're 50 or 60 bucks regular price.

Lands End down vest - a nice staple and very cheap. When I got mine it was no more than 30 bucks.

J. Crew 484 jeans - nice slim/straight cut in non-obnoxious washes. I've got these for as cheap as 19.99 - 30% but expect to pay around 99 retail. I'd wait for sale and not buy them full price.

Gap 1969 "skinny" selvage jeans - Can be had at around 50 bucks with a 40% off coupon that Gap often does. I've found these to be by far the best budget raw denimz. Just got my first pair a bit ago.

Clarks Desert Boots - everyone knows what these are, and everyone has a pair, but who cares. You can find these on sale for around 60 bucks if you're lucky.

Vans Authentics - everyone knows these too but I'm just going to include it.

Okay well I'll add more later, curious to see what other people's cheap staples are.

Edited by kvc06

Milsurp everything. On top of being generally super durable and comfortable a lot of field gear has some good trading value in militaria/collectible circles.

I got some Vietnam era wool socks($10 - 12/5pr) recently, and it's nasty but as kind of field test I found that I could wear a single pair for at least 2 weeks without any real stench(leather footwear only). Even then I only washed them to be safe.

And I've been wearing that same pair since early October.

Same with a lot of service shirts, although the more modern cotton and cotton blend shirts aren't really spectacular, just cheap and durable.

Edited by madstaxbro

Posted (edited) · Hidden by madstaxbro, November 14, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by madstaxbro, November 14, 2011 - No reason given

Also for denim a lot of people seem to overlook Wrangler and Lee but Wrangler especially makes pretty darn good jeans.

The classic Wrangler cuts like the 13MWZ and newer 36MWZ are a solid weight(13.75oz) and usually under $35 often around $30.

Edited by madstaxbro

Also for denim a lot of people seem to overlook Wrangler and Lee but Wrangler especially makes pretty darn good jeans.

The classic Wrangler cuts like the 13MWZ and newer 36MWZ are a solid weight(13.75oz) and usually under $35 often around $30.

uniqlo oxfords - about 3000 yen. personally the best oxford by a mile for under $80ish. size up one if you are ordering from japan (especially if you are tall) - the only downside is they seem to change the fit and thickness slightly every season.

country road - this is applicable only to australians, but they sometimes have some really good knits/winter stuff and the prices are generally good. also have a DOPE range of socks at $14 a pop, but only if you are a US 10.5ish or under. those with sasquatch feet like myself miss out.

AS colour v-necks - i don't like the fit of their other shirts, but the fit of the v-neck is perfect for taller guys. $22 each.

NBA basketball shorts - not fashionable, but the best summer jawns for hanging around when it is 44c outside. pick a team/colourway and go (sup celtics). they are reallllly fucking long for whatever reason - i am 6'2 and a medium is past my knees. they have a BACK POCKET for some cash or whatever.

if you live outside the US, get vans or any other mainstream shoe brand (new balance, nike or whatever) on ebay - even with shipping it will be a shitload cheaper.

Edited by conqueror

if you live outside the US, get vans or any other mainstream shoe brand (new balance, nike or whatever) on ebay - even with shipping it will be a shitload cheaper.

The best place to buy vans/converse is ASOS. Wait for a 10/20% off code and you'll get them for under $50 posted.

edit: For australians, anyway

Edited by okonomi

For my build I can't say enough good things about j crew oxfords. Especially the ones at the "factory" store. They average around $27.99 a pop and feel great. They're pretty thing so much better suited for summer use, but I just go in about once a month and pick up 4-5 and now I have them in almost every color and style. Same goes with the "Bedford" fit chinos. Great slim fit through the leg, and I buy them on a short inseam, and they fit perfect.

But then again, I'm bigger than most people on Sufu, so this might not be the same for everyone.

NBA basketball shorts - not fashionable, but the best summer jawns for hanging around when it is 44c outside.

i've been wearing asos boardshorts in this australian summer heat. good mid knee length with side pockets. being boardshorts i can jump into the water whenever i want and not having to wear undies my balls can breathe. 20 pounds well spent!

i'm on that broke college student budget, so here are my survival jawnz:

- +1 to the gap skinny 1969 raw selvage denim (which, i believe, is now discontinued) ($40 after coupon)

- uniqlo socks (i have almost every color) (same price patterned/marled socks are thicker and warmer)

- heattech (grab a couple of long shirts/johns/socks and you're good to go for the winter)

- club monaco slim oxfords ($20-30 on sale) (worn untucked and buttery soft on your nipples)

- h&m slim jeans ($30; i currently rock a dark brown stretch pair; fit is awesome; don't knock it 'til you try them on)

- supreme keychains (goon lifestyle)

Edited by ohsnap

ck underwear

best i've had, especially the "steel" label, prices very but kop at costco for cheap

these are actually really expensive in australia (as with most clothing) - about $45-70 a pair.

i've been wearing asos boardshorts in this australian summer heat. good mid knee length with side pockets. being boardshorts i can jump into the water whenever i want and not having to wear undies my balls can breathe. 20 pounds well spent!

i actually find basketball shorts dry alot faster than any boardshort - but when its that hot it won't really make a huge difference.

I REALLY need some heattech stuff for this winter...

how much does the stuff run?

i only have the leggings - i am a 30 in basically everything and wear a japanese M.

Edited by conqueror

these are actually really expensive in australia (as with most clothing) - about $45-70 a pair.

This is already my third asos plug in this thread, but c.k.s from there are cheaper than bonds here.

I guess what i'm trying to say is: go to asos for cheap shit.

Edited by okonomi

German Army Trainers for 25€, free shipping in Germany, don't know if they ship internationally tho. Dickies 874s or 873s are always a good bang for the buck too, even at European retail prices, me thinks.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BW-Sportschuhe-Hallenschuhe-Turnschuhe-Bundeswehr-NEU-/260637808956?pt=DE_Herrenschuhe&var=&hash=item8263352862#ht_3502wt_1004

Find a local tailor, become their friend, profit.

/thread.

In all seriousness though, as a broke college student without a job, I've found this to be the most effective method. I've been rotating around two pairs of Uniqlo UVC's that have been tapered to a Dior 19cm fit for months. Definitely my favorite pair of pants aside from my denim.

And since winter has started, I've had two jackets slimmed down that I wear all the time. One of them is a Spiewak duffle I picked up for $50 on sale. Took $15 to tailor and I always get people asking me where it's from.

Edited by Method

i cant recommend these jeans enough> Every build ive seen them on looks great. Im 5'10- 180lbs and look boss in em

Added bonus: theyre stretch denim, feels like fucking sweats while still being slim.

They were only 26 during the 40% off sale. Got 2 more lol

http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3536454&ab=leftnav%3Abystyle%3A511skinnyjean%3A3691990&

Levis 511 fit me like crap actually, at least the pairs I've had. I don't recommend for guys with muscular thighs. They low rise on the 511 khakis I had also created some weird action going on in the crotchal region fit-wise.

I usually bur some GAP chinos when I find them on sale. 30 bucks or so. They sell waists under 30 in the store, which is a huge plus.

Target always has some decent sweaters and sweatshirts for pretty cheap.

J crew always has a sale after the holidays and you can get socks (in some really ugly colors) for like 3 bucks sometimes. i always have an eye out for cheap socks.