Maintenance Tips

Chicken

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't mean to bump this thread, but i just ran into the denim style book again, so i thought i'd post it for those who're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7714560825

(this one gets a little pricey because of shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-vintage-denim-style-book-from-japan-lvc-evisu-levi_W0QQitemZ290004088568QQihZ019QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(this one's better but hopefully people won't bid them up)

That first one sure didn't last long, hehe. Maybe I should just go dig thru some of the local Japanese bookstores. There's gotta be some in Torrance and/or the Sawtelle area.

didn't mean to bump this thread, but i just ran into the denim style book again, so i thought i'd post it for those who're interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7714560825

(this one gets a little pricey because of shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-vintage-denim-style-book-from-japan-lvc-evisu-levi_W0QQitemZ290004088568QQihZ019QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(this one's better but hopefully people won't bid them up)

thanks Chicken!!!

you always say simply but important things!

Sorry, none there. There is an issue on Hawaiin shirts. I never understood the obsession with those.

yeah, i think the japanese like the place. if you been to hawaii its like you never left japan. theyre all over the place.

iya iya, ryu-san, airdrian. i don't have cool denims to show off yet, so i figured i have to contribute in other ways, for now.

digital -- i'm pretty sure you can ask the staff for the book and they can get it for you from japan.

i never understood the japanese obsession of hawaiian shirts too, but it seems like it was always there when i was growing up in tokyo. it's also a classic chimpira outfit.

digital -- i'm pretty sure you can ask the staff for the book and they can get it for you from japan.

Well went there and they said they could order more but it would take 3-4 weeks. Anyone interested? I could order like 5 or so and ship them out to people. Probably end up being like 18 bucks with shipping and tax and paypal fees. If people want some pm me, but I would want the paypal in advance because I don't want to end up with 5 of these magazines.

• 7 months later...
Sorry, none there. There is an issue on Hawaiin shirts. I never understood the obsession with those.

I heard the recent boom was because of the movie Sonatine. Real gangsters emulated the gangsters in that movie. Then non-gangsters emulated the real gangsters in the streets.

sonatine2.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
i washed a pair of sugar canes once and they never been the same since

That's the idea......

Anyone seen any copies of the lightning denim book around lately? I want a copy, not only to read about denim but to help my Japanese studies.

i believe i've seen at least the volume 2s at kinokuniya in rockerfeller center. they'll be able to get the first volume, too.

and yeah, denim NEVER stays the same and that's what's great about them, isn't it? otherwise, should stick to polyester instead of cotton.

Thanks for that chicken. Looking back at my post I realise I shouldn't rely on people reading my mind and guessing my location..... (London)

Anywhere online that might have the book? I did see one on the bay but at $50 I wonder if that was my only option. How much did it run for in kinokuniya, I might be making a trip to NYC in November.

actually fresco, i didn't assume you were in or near nyc. just wanted to let you know it's there, and if you'd like i could pick one up and send it over your way. i like helping out my fellow denimheads, so if you're going to cover shipping i won't charge anything except the paypal fee.

but i would be surprised if there isn't any japanese bookstore in london, though.

ahh, here you go. did a little search. these guys could have it, and if they don't they'll definitely be able to get you a copy:

Asahiya Shoten Ltd. London Br.

020-8200-0039

asahiya in new york also carry free&easy on top of the lightning mags. sounds like the one in london is the biggest japanese bookstore in london, too. sounds very promising.

my recommendation, don't go with ebay because they'll rape you with shipping charges and whatnots. the cheapest i've seen on ebay was something like $20+ish (including bs shipping charges), and you could get a copy for way under $20 if you buy it at a bookstore like kinokuniya.

The bookshop in Oriental City was fantastic but it closed last year - possibly the only authentic Japanese bookshop in London, given the range of books and especially magazines they carried.

You could maybe try the Japanese centre in Piccadilly? They're pretty good. Failing that there's a bookshop on the road that runs parallel to the Topshop side of Oxford street that has a great japanese import section. I've never bothered to check the name I just know it by location.

I don't think the Japan centre is an option, they are expensive and will have to order it in at a crazy price I suspect. Shame about Asahiya, Oriental city has never been the same since it was taken over, and seems to be fading away

Do you mean Mortimer street?