i splurged on CPs back in the day.

destructodisk

i bought cp bball hi's 2+yrs ago for $110, how much you pay now bra?

paid $140 for mine on sale though. not sure when, but sometime after you cause I remember seeing yours. I think CP's were around $200 then

they're $300+ now right?

paid $140 for mine on sale though. not sure when, but sometime after you cause I remember seeing yours. I think CP's were around $200 then

they're $300+ now right?

yeah i got mine from tobi.com, they were the last pair in stock and already deeply discounted, plus i was allowed to apply a %20 off coupon and they qualified for free shipping. #gorgeous

but fuck CP now, super inflated prices for no reason. they're great shoes, but not worth that price.

but fuck CP now, super inflated prices for no reason. they're great shoes, but not worth that price.

this is not true at all. Making shoes in Italy is fucking expensive, ridiculously expensive and seems to keep going up as we have all seen. CP is probably making a tiny margin, just big enough to keep their brand going.

If anyone thinks the shoes cost $5 to make and then they mark them up to $300+ you've got a lot to learn.

nobody thinks CP is making shoes for $5. just that the shoe itself hasnt changed at all but is now more than twice the cost of a few years ago.

its hard to take you seriously when you make definitive statements and then say things like they are "probably making a tiny margin."

i love my pair of achilles btw. got them for $200 3 yrs ago and still wear them.

nobody thinks CP is making shoes for $5. just that the shoe itself hasnt changed at all but is now more than twice the cost of a few years ago.

I guess this statement was a bit of a hyperbole but honestly I'm often stunned by peoples perceptions on how much something costs to make and how they feel that brands stores are charging them outrageous prices for products they think cost next to nothing, which couldn't be further from the truth in most cases.

its hard to take you seriously when you make definitive statements and then say things like they are "probably making a tiny margin."

I'll explain. I'm familiar with making sneakers in Italy. I have an idea of the range for which it can be done. I'm familiar with CP sneakers, I don't know how much they actually cost, but I think I could make a pretty accurate estimate. I'm also familiar with the mark up strategies most retailers use for this sort of product. Based on knowing approximately how much the shoes cost, and how much they are being sold for at retailers I estimate that they are probably not making an amazing margin on the shoes.

i love my pair of achilles btw. got them for $200 3 yrs ago and still wear them.

That's awesome that you were able top get them for that price then. Unfortunately, the cost of manufacturing in italy has gone up over the 3 years. They simply can't make and sell them for that price anymore.

Of course, maybe I'm wrong about all of this. Maybe my numbers are way off. I'm just making educated guesses here.

The problem here larssss is that you don't come up with any sources, don't post any numbers to support your claims and we don't know who you are. It's easy to just go "trust me, I know these things." To prove it with facts is a bit harder.

Why don't you try to explain the Italian shoe making business and it's practices to us? I'm sure more than me would be interested in hearing you out.

i can go ahead and guarantee that the margins that CP is making on the shoes is very small. they are producing shoes in italy in small to medium quantities are highly reputable factories while they also try to improve on materials and finishes season in and season out. Quantities play a huge role in costing, especially in italy. also don't forget to factor in a weak dollar and huge shipping and customs costs.

Unfortunately, I can't link you any sources. I wish I could, but I don't have any articles on hand and I can't be posting internal documents. So yeah, I'm asking you to take me at my word, which is asking a lot.

nice of you guys to try to back me up though.

this is not true at all. Making shoes in Italy is fucking expensive, ridiculously expensive and seems to keep going up as we have all seen. CP is probably making a tiny margin, just big enough to keep their brand going.

If anyone thinks the shoes cost $5 to make and then they mark them up to $300+ you've got a lot to learn.

yeah, definitely aware they don't cost $5 to make, and while I appreciate your perspective, and know you probably have a much more intimate knowledge of how such products are produced, there are a few things about your argument that don't quite add up.

I've purchased 3 pairs of CP starting in spring '07, and still have two of em and wear them regularly. The last pair I got I nabbed on clearance like I mentioned, and that was just before their prices just went cray.

I don't really buy into your thinking that they are increasing their prices in order to make up for increased production costs in italy. reason being, they are, in my understanding, made in the same factory as raf and lanvin kicks, and yet out of the 3 companies CP is the only one that has so consistently raised their prices nearly every season since their inception.

that they are "just getting by" I also don't believe. relatively obscure when I first copped, CP has exploded in the past 4 years, probably not due to me copping. but being featured in magazines like GQ, and getting sold in stores around the world in both small boutique settings (eg., blackbird, odin) or large flagship stores like barney's and neiman marcus definitely has a positive impact on sales. while I also have no solid stats to back up my claims, I'd be willing to risk embarrassment by saying that CP outsells both raf and lanvin annually, and that they're likely making more money, too. so to me, CP's price inflation is not symptomatic of a pricier production market, or out of necessity to stay afloat as a company, but rather a business strategy to make even more money off of idiots who will pay seemingly any MSRP they "suggest" while they're still a hot commodity.

yeah, definitely aware they don't cost $5 to make, and while I appreciate your perspective, and know you probably have a much more intimate knowledge of how such products are produced, there are a few things about your argument that don't quite add up.

I've purchased 3 pairs of CP starting in spring '07, and still have two of em and wear them regularly. The last pair I got I nabbed on clearance like I mentioned, and that was just before their prices just went cray.

I don't really buy into your thinking that they are increasing their prices in order to make up for increased production costs in italy. reason being, they are, in my understanding, made in the same factory as raf and lanvin kicks, and yet out of the 3 companies CP is the only one that has so consistently raised their prices nearly every season since their inception.

that they are "just getting by" I also don't believe. relatively obscure when I first copped, CP has exploded in the past 4 years, probably not due to me copping. but being featured in magazines like GQ, and getting sold in stores around the world in both small boutique settings (eg., blackbird, odin) or large flagship stores like barney's and neiman marcus definitely has a positive impact on sales. while I also have no solid stats to back up my claims, I'd be willing to risk embarrassment by saying that CP outsells both raf and lanvin annually, and that they're likely making more money, too. so to me, CP's price inflation is not symptomatic of a pricier production market, or out of necessity to stay afloat as a company, but rather a business strategy to make even more money off of idiots who will pay seemingly any MSRP they "suggest" while they're still a hot commodity.

not to mention all the rumblings you hear about italian manufacturing being akin to chinese manufacturing more and more. I'm not in the industry, but I've read alot about (call me out on bullshit easily cus I cant remember where the hell I read this) how italian factories are using immigrant labor and arent nearly as "artisinal" as the labels would have us believe. still, I would say that cp might have a hard time turning a profit because they're not a traditional big fashion house like lanvin and raf. lanvin makes their profits on shitty cologne that ends up in marshalls. I cant speak to raf, but I'd think the label makes money on some commodity that is cheaply made and profitably sold. CP might really have a tough business model because they only sell footwear. nobody wears cp t shirts or hoodies or whatever. basically. raf and lanvin have a logo or brand image that has equity. I would argue the opposite with cp.

could be wrong, but might be a side of the story he isn't articulating.

The manufacturing that CP is using is most certainly "akin to chinese manufacturing" the inflation of price is something that has occurred in line with the inflation of prices through out the market. manufacturing like ive stated before in small quantities is very expensive. buying the raw goods in limited quantities is also very expensive, all these things add up to end price. many times with smaller companies as well they start up and make a zero margin because they aim for a target market price rather than properly costing out a collection (im not saying this happened with CP but its a possibility) what also has to be considered is just because a brand is in store x,y, and z doesnt mean that all of those stores are paying the invoices in full or on time or at all. these are parts of the battles of being a small brand with a very niche product.

I bought some achilles low about 3-4 years ago for around $120 and wore them the fuck out in a year or less. What a waste (on my behalf.) Vans authentics last me at least three years before I either wear a hole in the toe box or warp the sole... peasant status...

in 2007 i went into some terrible store on Wicker in Chicago and the SA was like 'these are the shoes Kanye wears' and I couldn't bring myself own a pair of CPs after that for like 3, 4 years. Bought some more and I still don't wear them.

i didnt fuck w/ cp's back in the day b/c i thought they were too expensive to begin with. then prices went through the roof, though their margins remained consistent. then that swedish dude just had them on sale in the supermarket for like $185 shipped to the US so i copped a pair. kinda over them already. woulda rather copped more mcnairy or yuketen on sale.