Looking for denim..

icon_smile_question.gif I'm trying to get some jeans under $150. The best jeans I have worn in a while are Supreme, but we all know how hard it is to cop a pair of those (I have a couple pairs aquired through eBay and such, but they never have my size at the store) I like their denim becasue its crisp, high-quality, and not all trashed out looking. I like my jeans to look new when I buy them. Anyone know where to get a basic pair of jeans, similar to the dark Supreme denims? I like the semi baggy cuts they come out with, great for skating.

IDonTcare

Supreme ALWAYS has their jeans in stock in the NY shop and they aren't very hard to come by at all. Just ask for your size if it isn't out. And the denim isn't very high quality. These are Supreme jeans and they retail for only $85, their hoodies retail for almost double that. That alone says "this isn't the best qulity denim".

If you really want jeans of that same quality (if not better) and cheaper, then just cop some Levis or hell even certain Gap jeans are better quality and cheaper than the Supremes. I guess you just have to decid eif you care that it will say Gap on your ass instead of Supreme. And if you're willing to drop $150, you can get some APCs, Paper Denim, I'm drawing a blank... but for $150 you can get some much better quality jeans. There's a thread on here somwhere all about denim, do a search, it'll sort you out.

The last 4 times I have been to Supreme (unfortunately I don't live in the city so I can't go all the time) they don't have my size, on the floor or in back (whcih is bullshit because if you look in back you know they have every single piece of fucking clothing stock piled) I got a pair once for $120 and they are fresh as hell. The denim is real crisp, but not filled with dye that leaks all over your sneakers. I do like Gap jeans but they're washes are kind of wack. Supreme never has any 36's in stock when I'm there, but the pair I did manage to cop were really nice, selvage denim. I'm not rich, so the most I'm willing to spend on some jeans is like $150 and under. Where can I cop the earl jeans? thanks...

IDonTcare

The cut on Supreme jeans is just like the cut on 501's... I'd personally recommended Levi's rigid 'shrink-to-fit' 501's. I stick with those...keep an unwashed pair to wear and then keep some that I wash now and then ... go for the $30 joints at Kohl's or if you're in the mood to spend $150-ish go for the rigid 1947 selvage 501's.

Anyway, if you're interested, i've got a pair of 36x31 dark indigo Supreme jeans: selvage, unworn, unwashed, still w/tag;. I'm 6'1 so they're too short for me.

Edited by rhythmandsound on Feb 1, 2005 at 07:50 PM

where can i go online to learn more about vintage levis, 501xx, etc? and if i was to get a pair of shrink to fit rigid 501s, what size do i get if i don't plan on washing them for a long time? they'll be way too big until i wash them, right? but i want them to stay rigid/dark...

don't the rigid shrink to fits that you can get at kohls also say 501xx?

i know i'm asking stupid questions, i just dont know the answers, so...

thanks!

don't know where you can go to find more about vintage levi's, but i recommend 2 tactics for shrink-to-fits: 1) if you want to wear a pair rigid, just buy the size that fits you rigid and plan on never washing them. if they get trashed, chuck 'em. they're actually pretty resilient to getting dirty or stained since they basically bead water w/that unwashed shell on them. 2) if you want them to shrink so that you can wash them now and then, wash them once or twice, inside-out, cold water, no soap, machine dry inside-out. I wear a 36x34 (or 36x36) in shrink-to-fits that i wash, and a 33x33 (or 33x34) in shrink-to-fits that i wear rigid. And yes if you wore shrink-to-fits around rigid waiting to wash them down to your correct size, they would be way too big. And yes the rigid shrink-to-fits at kohls (etc) do say 501xx in the lower left of the patch (since they're still made w/Cone Mills XX shrink-to-fit denim).

Edited by rhythmandsound on Jan 30, 2005 at 01:12 PM

cw, good question! the last rigid pair I washed, the first time i washed I made the mistake of washing w/detergent, and not inside-out! They were still quite dark after first washing and 'thick' feeling...slightly 'stiffer' than after washing them the 2nd time, at which point they became quite soft (again, both times w/detergent tho)

It's interesting: the prewashed/rigid blue color has that almost gray-ish 'slate-blue' hue to it (which i love). once you wash them (in detergent anyway), that hue drastically transforms to a more rich, royal-ish blue...that classic indigo color: dark but not as dark as unwashed.

the thing that makes the jeans rigid prior to washing is just some sort of coating that's somehow applied to the denim (anyone know what's used? is it just some starch-like thing that they spray on the denim or soak it in?). one wash w/detergent pretty much takes the bulk of the coating off. if you washed them inside-out w/out detergent, some more of that coating might remain, but i'm not sure. washing inside-out and w/out detergent definitely keeps them darker (and probably stiffer) longer tho.

for only $30-35 it's worth the experiment!

Edited by rhythmandsound on Jan 30, 2005 at 08:50 PM