3.) Double Dagger- Masks EP

4.) Richard Rich- Twit Tape

5.) Kingdom- That Mystic EP

6.) Caribou- Odessa

7.) Lower Dens- Demo Vol II

8.) Nice Face- Immer Etwas

9.) Drunkdriver- Drunkdriver

10.) Dinowalrus- %

my list includes both EP and full length releases, but I did not put on singles or compilations. Otherwise Isolee's The Fantastic Researches of Yushin Maru would definitely be the top half or so and Total 11 would probably make it too.

Double Dagger maybe should be lower but I like it a lot. Caribou made a great album but I just don't listen to it much, probably should be higher.

Frisco had a good album, Fully Grown, but is basically worse than any of his mixtapes and just doesn't make it in the ten here. I didn't listen much but Junky Star by Ryan Bingham is probably quite good, possibly belongs here.

As much as I love Titus Andronicus, The Monitor doesn't really stand up to the great records of all time so I guess I have to say 2010 wasn't great for music- whatever that means.

In no particular order

Beach House - Teen Dream

Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

Snowing - i could do whatever i wanted if i wanted.

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

The Walkman - Lisbon

Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot

Liars - Sisterwood

Pantha Du Prince - Black Noise

Local Natives - Gorilla Manor

Xiu Xiu - Dear God, I Hate Myself

1. Beach House-Teen Dream

2. Wild Nothing-Gemini

3.Toro Y Moi- Causers of This

4.Beach Fossils-Beach Fossils

5. Twin Shadow- Forget

6.Delorean-Subiza

7.Deerhunter-Halycon DIgest

8.Baths-Cerulean

9.Arcade Fire- The Suburbs

10.Beat Connection-Surf Noir EP

Honorable Mention:

Girls: Broken Dreams Club

Small Black:New Chain

LCD Soundsystem: This Is Happening

Outside of various UK funky, dubstep, grime, and other electronic singles this wasn't the best year of music to choose from for me, so it was hard to list 10 full length albums that I could truly say were memorable (hence the choice of James Blake). However, these were the six albums that really made a mark on me this year with review included.

1. LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening ------> Best LCD Soundsystem album ever. It's hard to pinpoint the influences that comprise this bands sound and James Murphy is an incredible lyricist IMO. He has a unique way of taking sounds from various genres of music, mashing them together, and making a sort of Talking Heads album for the 21st century. Not only that, but at its core this is a fantastic album to dance too (as was made more clear by the best live show that I went to all year).

2. Tyler, The Creator - Bastard ---> I know this album was released at the end of 2009, but I'm sure that most people didn't know about Odd Future until at least half way through this year, so I'm counting it as a 2010 release. For me this is one of the best underground rap/hip-hop albums that I have heard in years. Tyler's flow is unique and combined together with his dark, bass-heavy beats, this album really gave a new refreshing sound to what was previously a genre/scene that lacked in creativity and inspiration.

3. Flying Lotus - Cosmogamma ----> Following up an album like Los Angeles was going to be tough, but if anyone has the ability to do it then it is Flying Lotus, who to me is a sort of modern Miles Davis. Cosmogamma takes influence from jazz and J Dilla instumentals to make the most intriguing and beautifully formed electronic music album of the year.

4. Night Slugs - Night Slugs Allstars Volume 1 ------> A sort of greatest hits of the most consistent dance label in the world right now. Whether it is Bok Bok, L-Vis 1990, Girl Unit, Jam City, Mosca, Egyptrixx or any of the other Night Sluggers in the crew these guys have yet to disappoint. Their bass heavy beats that emphasize on the drop and take influence from grime, garage, house, and dubstep are hard to confine into one genre, but that is exactly what makes this album so great. The music on this compilation is made for the dance floor and as a lot of ravers in the UK will tell you, Night Slugs are taking the dance floor to the ceiling with their forward thinking, sub-friendly beats.

5. James Blake - CMYK EP/Klavierwerke EP -------> A dubstep DJ who also writes and records his own vocals while at the same time taking the genre into new, uncharted territory. These albums together make up eight of the best tracks from across the pond this year. By distorting vocals and adding dark piano beats, Blake surprisingly manages to make some of the lighter electronic music of the year.

6. Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy -------> Another genre (along with underground hip-hop) that has been especially dry and formulaic for me in recent years. Again (like with his last album) Kanye tries to push the boundaries of rap music, but this time he manages to flip the genre on its head. Kanye takes elements from his past albums: the drawn out choruses and vocal harmonizations of The College Dropout, a hint of autotune from 808s, his sampling genius from Late Registration/Graduation and adds hard, heavy hitting guest versus to make what was unquestionably the best pop album of the year. Believe the hype, because this album is truly great.

my favorite 10 of the year:

These New Puritans — Hidden

Waka Flocka Flame — Flockaveli

Big Boi — Sir Lucious Left Foot

How to Dress Well — Love Remains

Camu Tao — King of Hearts

The-Dream — Love King

SALEM — King Night

Mellowhype — BLACKENEDWHITE

Freddie Gibbs — Str8 Killa EP

Rick Ross — Teflon Don

Yelawolf — Trunk Muzik 0-60

I haven't listened to Kanye's album yet, but I'm sure it'd knock another album off the list

Balthazar - Applause

Broken Bells - Broken Bells

The Black Keys - Brothers

Gonjasufi - Gonjasufi

Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Kanye - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Neil Young - Le Noise

The Dead Weather - Sea of Cowards

Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse - Dark Night of the Soul

The Roots - How I Got Over

Here are my favorites-- the album's that i'll probably keep in rotation and the artists/bands I'll definitely keep an eye out for while checking shows

Titus Andronicus – The Monitor

These New Puritans – Hidden

Young Prisms – Friends for Now [Jan ’11, but they sold it on their tour so..]

Nice Face – Immer Etwas

Weekend – Sports

Los Campesinos! – Romance is Boring

Deerhunter – Halcyon Digest

Millipede - Full Bloom

Here are some EPs I thought were pretty great:

Double Dagger - Masks

Zola Jesus - Valusia

Girls - Broken Dreams Club

Here are some albums I thought were close to being topz, but aren't, but would still like to commend:

Wild Nothing - Gemini

Abe Vigoda - Crush

Big Troubles - Worry

Magic Kids - Memphis

No Age - Everything in Between

Beach House - Teen Dream

Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest

Roots - How I Got Over

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Best Coast - Crazy for You

Vampire Weekend - Contra

Toro Y Moi - Causers of This

Black Keys - Brothers

Janelle Monae - The Archandroid

Two Door Cinema - Tourist History

off the top of my head -

girl unit - irl ep

jam city - refixes ep

mosca - square one ep

guido - anidea

various (ostgut) - fünf

igorrr - nostril

salem - king night

james blake - cmyk

various + scientist - scientist launches dubstep into outerspace

shackleton - fabric 55

alot of 12s and eps getting left off my list (youngunz one, work them, footcrab, work them, pineapple crush ep, footcrab, boddika's house, night slugs comp, fabric elevator music, the look ep, rotpot ep, etc...)

in no particular order...

beach house- teen dream

vampire weekend- contra

lcd soundsystem- this is happening

broken bells- broken bells

the black keys- brothers

the walkmen- lisbon

kanye- my beautiful dark twisted fantasy

janelle monae- the archandroid

big boi- sir lucious left foot

arcade fire- the suburbs

girls' new ep is incredibly, didn't put it in my top 10 since it isn't a full length

are you talking about dear god, i hate myself? you should definitely listen to it. i like it better than women as lovers. this is definitely one of my favorites from the year:

mIvsiUVy6JU

other favorites of the year are tyler the creator's lp, mount kimbie's crooks as lovers, love king by the-dream, how to dress well, toro y moi, lil b, and james blake

people who like new Xiu XIu any additional comments on it?

I love Fabulous Muscle, liked Promise and Air Force too. should I get the new one or just listen to the old ones again?

xiu xiu are my favourite band and have been for years. its nowhere near on the same level as a promise/knife play/la foret but it still a really great record. the air force is actually my least favourite LP by them.

Well, not al my favorite albums were made in 2010, but for 2010, here is my lineup (no specific order)-

Periphery-periphery (this is my favorite one though)

Periphery-Periphery instrumental

Protest the Hero-Fortress

The Devil Wears Prada-Zombies EP (EP, but still good enough regardless of what anyone says)

Confide-recover

Haste the Day-Attack of the Wolf King

August burns Red-Constellations

Finch-What It Is To Burn

Bring Me The Horizon-There is a hell believe me I've seen it, there is a heaven let's keep it a secret

We Came As Romans-To Plant A Seed

There, most of them are from '10, but a few are older.

i admit i don't tend to listen to current music widely

these are stand outs from 2010:

oval - O : this is one of the most achingly beautiful records in the genre

autechre - oversteps : they step out of their own shadow and make some very different, serious, and lovely music on this one

beach house - teen dream : this may be one of my favorite records... ever.

kanye - my etc etc etc : my favorite tracks are the guest-heavy joints. a good record if only because it is a rallying point for the best MCs alive to step their game up

swans - my father will guide me up a rope to the sky

Roky Erickson True Love cast out all evil - nice to see the okkervil guys helping mr. erickson flesh out a lot of songs that only existed as fuzzy 4-track records, and not fuck them up

dark night of the soul : sparklehorse records always made me melancholy, this one fucks me up

mount kimbie : eh, threw this one on here. it is good enough.

joanna newsome - have one on me : a bunch of great songs on here, really nice production, effortless and purty

brian eno - small crafts on a milk sea : i love this album

i was kinda unimpressed by a lot of other records

treading a lot of the same territory

BUT i'm still catching up to 2010

lots of records i still need to hear

interpol - interpol

beach house - teen dream

the rural alberta advantage - hometowns

foals - total life forever

ceo - white magic

trentemoller - into the great wide yonder

____

still gotta listen to xiuxiu (thanks sufu) and warpaint

not on the list but good: arcade fire, anika

in no particular order, I didn't pay as much attention as I should have this year but still managed to buy these albums from the year

spoon- transference

black keys - brothers

vampire weekend- contra

sharon jones and the dap kings - i learned the hard way

band of horses -

she and him - vol 2

sufjan - age of adz

various artists - up in the air soundtrack

girl talk - all day

* modest mouse- moon and antartica (on record store day)

There are a lot of other albums I should have bought, and need to buy but didn't.

-rf

10 albums:

janelle monae-the archandroid (please win the grammy)

charlotte gainsbourg-IRM

o. children-s/t

these new puritans-hidden

how to dress well-love remains

baths-cerulean

tensnake-in the house

scissor sisters-night work

flying lotus cosmogramma

kanye west...begrudingly-my sick twisted fantasy

15 tracks:

tensnake-coma cat

four tet-angel echoes

kanye west-blame game

robyn-dancing on my own

raekwon/method man/ghostface killah-miranda

diamond rings-it's my party

big boi-shutterbug

alicia keys-unthinkable (i'm ready)

crystal castles-pap smear

kylie minogue-too much

rick ross-tears of joy

kelis-4th of july

t.i-amazing

holy ghost-static on the wire

azari & iii-indigo

Turbostaat - Das Island Manöver

Ceremony - Rohnert Park

Converge - Axe to Fall

The Builders & the Butchers - Dead Reckoning

Escapado - Montgomery Mundtot

Baroness - Blue Record

The Low Anthem - Oh my God, Charlie Darwin

Opeth - Live at Royal Albert Hall

The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang

Against Me! - White Crosses

Yeah, some came out in late 2009, but whatever. Would be easier to define the best albums we bought in 2010, no matter when they were released.