The Great Roy World Tour

Medine

That burrito looks familiar =) where are you from?

Camarillo, the place is called el tecolote. Not the best burritos but a great atmosphere for the family.

Alright, most likely the last update I will have on this. I got some film in and some of the pics turned out good.

The little dude and I decided to take a hike in malibu canyon. Well the first day we went to find the spot we got lost. Apparently the turn off isn't as obvious as I thought it would be. Anyways, we ended up on highway one where I drove around looking for cell reception. I stopped on the side of the road across from this little display, which I suppose somebody thinks is artwork. I don't quite know what to make of it, but I assume some rich uptight chump spent a pretty penny on it and somewhere else there is an artist laughing his ass off that he was able to sell this to some chump in malibu.

00992600x398.jpg

Well once we found the joint it started poring rain and we decided to hold off a day. On the way back there are some really beautiful plots of land in the hills. One in particular stood out. This dude was obviously a collector of sorts. Maybe he posts on here and is a crazy LVC nut. There were some old gas pumps, old blacksmith tools. Some antique signs. I wanted to get closer, but I didn't want to be weird.

012122600x398.jpg

Well the following day we made it to the trail. It was nice, I guess, rather uneventful. The description was that wove across a creek and the little dude was really looking forward to the creek, well it turns out there was only a dry creek.... lame. So my son decided to make his own creek.

01414398x600.jpg

Here are some pics from the trail and after as well.

0099600x398.jpg

Mutha fuckin FBI spying on us through the radio antennas.

01717600x398.jpg

022222398x600.jpg

024242600x398.jpg

02222600x398.jpg

02626edited600x398.jpg

And the little guy took his digital camera with him (it is an old point and shoot I had back in the day) and he snapped a pic of me.

003450x600.jpg

These are off to the next dude in line, which I think is grooveholmes. Here's hoping his month is a little more exciting.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Ranon. I used an old Canon FTb from 1971 with a 50mm f1.4 lens. I found the camera on ebay for like 30 bucks and the lens was 80 bucks. I think for a modern canon lens of the same stature I would have had to spend like 500 to 1000. I used some basic TMAX 400 film and had it developed at the local drugstore.

I like the lens because at large apertures with the focus at infinity you get a little vignetting at the corners. It is less than ideal, but I do like the effect. I also shot these with a polarizing filter.

very nice. a classic example of how film is hard to beat even with the modern day technology we have. 20 or 30 years down the road, you will still look at these pictures with great fondness of the growing up years of the son. good call on the 50mm 1.4. the bokeh you get and the vignetting is a lovely way of "framing" up some of the shots, as i enjoy the effect more on some pictures than others. good call on the camera and the filter!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah yes. The Tour. So after harassing rnr about getting these, he messaged me and said he just wanted a lil extra time to smear his goodness on em. Oh, that rnr, he has such a sense of humor, that one. I got these on Thursday, after a shitty day at work.

r01.jpg

After taking these out of the box and admiring the handiwork of RS, I noticed there was something extra, something pervasive emanating from inside the jeans. Lo and behold, frumunda cheese!

r03.jpg

r04.jpg

Goodies? Sick!

r05.jpg

Yet tasty.

All kidding aside, these are truly amazing jeans. Roy did good.

r02.jpg

Somewhat like the Siege Perilous, I left one line above mine unfilled...

Welcome to Durham, NC!

r06.jpg

I need a new camera, but for now my old Powershot will have to do until my sweet ass iPhone4S arrives...

Anyway, I went to the World Beer Festival in Durham this weekend-- Oh, man, the beer was flowing, and the goggles were fogging...

r07.jpg

r08.jpg

I'd have more pics of me in the Roys, but my a-hole friend disregarded my repeated attempts at instructing him to "get a full length shot". You can imagine my anger the next morning when looking through the photos. This was the last photo taken.

r09.jpg

Whoopsies.

Dude, I totally forgot to sign the jeans!!!!

Did you get the other goodies in the back pocket? I was going to include some "Americana" type cards (think baseball cards), but I bought a couple packs and the shit was a joke.

Tonight: Bull City Burger & Brewery.

A little history about the Tobacco District. Downtown Durham used to be a pretty dead and unhip place. In the past few years, local businesses have been trickling back, led by several savvy businesspeople who have been pouring money and resources into renovating old buildings and tobacco warehouses.

01.jpg

Pickled stuff. This shiz was off the heezy. The grapes were my favorite. She loved the peaches.

02.jpg

Her burger was good.

03.jpg

Mine was better: 100% pastured raised patty, goat cheese and roasted red pepper potato cake, crema de chile poblano sauce, house cured bacon, and bibb lettuce.

04.jpg

Duck frites and Boylans sodas... ON TAP?? Black cherry, creme soda, cane sugar cola... holler at my boy robbie on the soda tip

05.jpg

Crotch shot

06.jpg

>Errrrrrrrrp<

07.jpg

Dessert. The chocolate was thick, almost like pudding, and had some kick for sure.

09.jpg

Afterwards, we took a small stroll

11.jpg

Everyone was kung fu fighting

20.jpg

Those kicks were fast as lightning

21.jpg

Her timing with the flash was horrible. This was the best shot of about a billion attempts. I was so fucking worn out after trying to get the right take.

Went to Duke University Chapel today. I always love seeing gothic/neo-Gothic architecture in the South.

40.jpg

41.jpg

These homeys were chillin' on the steps. "Are you Chinese?" one of the kids asked. "No, I'm Korean," I said. "What are you?"

"I'm half Chinese and half French!"

"I'm not Chinese," said another.

"I'm not either!"

"Me neither!"

WTF, lil dudes? I was late for church

42.jpg

44.jpg

Yeah, I know it's annoying I've blurred out my face. I'm very private in that regard. I don't even have a Facebook account.

43.jpg

45.jpg

I love seeing this type of metalwork. You just don't see stuff like this anymore. Roy would approve, I'm sure.

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

The little girl was dressed like a strawberry. She had a rubber ball that she dropped and bounced toward me. As I reached to pick it up, she ran over and grabbed it and thanked me profusely. "Oh, thank you my good friend!"

56.jpg

Tall pines

57.jpg

The leaves are starting to turn

58.jpg

59.jpg

She was smokin' hot.

60.jpg

Then brunch at Elmo's Diner on 9th Street. Sorry, no pics! Too hungry.

Afterwards, over to

62.jpg

Yep, what used to be Erwin Mills. Built in 1893, it represented the movement of the US textile industry from its heart in the Northeast to the Southeast. The Duke University Library actually has some archived literature from Erwin Mills-- I've been meaning to get at it, but just haven't made the time.

61.jpg

63.jpg

I wonder what this was?

65.jpg

Beautiful brick arches and large windows. Now it's part office building, part apartments.

64.jpg

66.jpg