$1900 Levi Zxx what is the world coming to ? paul_T n Ryu chime in I know you 2 know

__3xL

50s Levi's have been shooting towards $2k for some time now. But there was a much nicer pair of 501s from the late 40s that went for less than this, and they were in a wearable size.

This pair is in good condition but a very bland fade, presumably the fatty that wore them didn't move around much.

they are crappy, man.

Why anyone would pay $2000 for a pair of jeans that are a bad size (I know that's subjective, but I'm a 29 so they're no good to me. And most of the dudes into vintage jeans I imagine sit around 28 to 36) AND haven't even been worn in well?

It's nuts!

Keep the Funk alive

They're for collectors man.....vintage Levis jean that match specific criteria (big E, redline selvage, hidden rivets, type of zipper, etc etc) can fetch a huge sum of money...depending on the age and condition....its got hardly anything to do with the way the jeans look stylistically...I sold a pair I found in a thrift store for just over $500 bucks...from the late 60's....The Levis company itself once paid over $40,000 for a really old pair of jeans from the late 1800's on ebay....and theyve hired a whole team of people to look for and bid on exceptional old jeans for their archives and museum in San Fran....jeans like that one have been selling on ebay for well over 2k for quite some time now....nothing new

those ones in particular appear to have an uncommon zipper...i dont recall ever seeing one with a Gripper Zipper with Scovill USA on the back on Ebay before (and i check quite often)...so..they could be quite rare just for that...which makes the price go up.....

Edited by Whodinihimself on May 11, 2006 at 06:08 AM

Yes, Levi's bought the Nevada Mine jeans for $40k. These aren't the Nevada Mine jeans.

Actually, eBay prices have softened. There was a pair of 1957 jeans, unworn with all tags a couple of months back which didn't attract one bid at $1900. More recently someone here linked to an absolutely beautiful 40s pair which reached just $1200. 501Z are rarer but not more popular, and for collectors, condition is everything. For $2000 you want something that will look good on your wall - you're unlikely to wear them - and these don't look good.

Maybe there will be someone with a 40 inch waist and short legs who can't resist.

Agreed, when it comes to jeans like this, it is not about it's wearability, it is all in the rareness of the style. I agree these don't look that special but the are quite rare indeed. These were sanforized I believe and it seems like sanforized Levis never have the characteristics that old STF denim has. I bet he does not get 2k for them though because as was said before, I have seen rarer ones go for less.

He already has a bid at 2k

...and another reason better vintage Levis might not sell for as much as this one is the fact that alot of rookie sellers dont really have there stuff together...if the seller has enough pictures and is knowledgeable on their product itll encourage more bids...as buyers feel secure.....but if the seller doesnt have a long or good reputation selling on ebay (ie feeback score) it could also affect bidding....but then again, ive seen some bad sellers that had no idea what they really had walk away with a wad of e-cash...

Did anyone notice ever single bidder above $150 was a zero feedback bidder though ?

There is a pair of Nevada remakes on eBay btw if anyone is interested 1 of 500 .

guy who owns a denim store in France phillipe is selling them

As far as I recall, The 501ZXX was not sanforized and were notorious for jamming zippers once they were shrunk. Scovill Gripper Zippers are quite common on 50 zipperd jeans and were on all 501 ZXX and 701 jeans that I have seen. These jeans are not worth the with price with the short inseam and big waist. It doesn't even have a complete waist tag and it doesn't say "Every Garment Guarenteed," so they are later than 1955.

Carpe Denim! (not the jean brand silly!)

1123865699585_selvage_edited.JPG

Serge, I looked up a few things and you are correct. That 505 with the offset back loop is not sanforized and very controversial because how badly the zipper acts when it shrinks. Needless to say from the bidding that someone wants them pretty badly though. I personally don't think any jean is worth squat unless you like the way it looks and you can wear it.

yeah... i feel the same way. thats why im getting rid of some pants that may be 100 years old, cause ill never really wear them.

If you've lost your faith in superfuture, Oh the end won't be long

Because if it's gone for you then I too may lose it, And that would be wrong

I've tried so hard to keep myself from falling

Back into my bad old ways

And it chars my heart to always hear you calling

Calling for the good old days

Because there were no good old days

These are the good old days

Quote:

Did anyone notice ever single bidder above $150 was a zero feedback bidder though ?

There is a pair of Nevada remakes on eBay btw if anyone is interested 1 of 500 .

guy who owns a denim store in France phillipe is selling them

--- Original message by numero_uno_3xl on May 11, 2006 09:26 AM

I bought my LVC Denim Devotee's off of Philippe from France...good seller...fast shipping...he gets alot of LVC....his prices arent that great tho

True phillippe is a good seller . His prices are up there but hey - he gives a fair chance by starting bidding pretty low .

He has a pair of Nevada LVC well over $1000 currently and he consitantly stocks size 38 which is somewhat hard to find a true 38 in raw levi's ...

the reason it looks like theres so many bids is because when placing a bid, potential buyers key in a maximum bid (which automatically gets placed if someone bids but doesnt outbid there max)....so...if another buyer comes along and wants to outbid them..they usually go up in small increments (in this case $100 increments) to determine the other bidders maximum bid. (i.e. what godhand2006 is doing in this case)...it only seems like theres been a bunch of bids because ebay shows these automatic bids.......the upside to max bid system is that you dont have to be there on your computer to bid ... the downside (from a buyers point of view) is that the price is driven way up...the best way is to invest in auction sniping software and place your bid 1 second before the auction ends (must be tweaked to your internet setup to accomadate any lag).....if timed correctly ebay doesnt have time to place the automatic bid...and you win...hurray! :P

Edited by Whodinihimself on May 12, 2006 at 06:47 AM