***MORTAR - Official Affiliate Thread***

MORTAR

WE ARE MORTAR -

Our emphasis is on smaller lines, lines that we think have interesting fits, fabric, or construction detailing, lines that focus on craft. We try to look past trends and advocate for lines that we feel will remain relevant. We carry a wide range of lines from KMW, Left Field, Sunny Sports to Fifth Avenue Shoe Repair, Zero + Maria Cornejo, and Common Projects.

For more, check our 'about us' page on our website, www.shopMORTAR.com.

We're looking forward to joining the conversation here on superfuture.

Interesting.

Do you repair denim?

I just walked by your store today and did a double-take because I clicked on this thread and recognized the logo. A men's boutique that carries these labels in Houston? I did not know this existed. Has hell frozen over? (guess your first blog post addresses this)

Seems like a bad place to open a shop (on either side of the street). No pedestrian traffic, no other retail nearby that I'd go to. I hope you planned on having your online store drive your sales. Wish you the best either way.

^ yo, shut the fuck up. Shop owners have to hear enough negativity and bullshit from people every day, on top of the pressures of owning their own business. Think positive, be supportive, and buy some shit from them, that's the best way to show your support.

Mortar - site looks great, looking forward to seeing more! Store pics? I love interesting retail store design, be stoked to see what you guys built out to house such a solid brand mix.

Wasn't talking to you.

People in Houston are generally friendly, so I mentioned it to pick their brain on why they chose that spot, just some feedback. I'm a neighbor, of sorts. I used to live on the street adjacent to their shop (Hazard). Also used to get my hair cut at the salon on the corner. And again, wish you guys the best. Don't know what the big deal is.

clean site, good selection, but you lost me at all the utility pant/flip flop combos.

Ahh, the flop-flops. We get it and appreciate the feedback. We geared the site towards Houstonians in spring. And while flip-flops may not make sense in places that actually have seasons, in H-town with the heat and humidity, flip-flops are pretty much standard issue. As anyone who’s suffered through a Houston summer can attest, when it’s 100% humidity and the temperature is 100 degrees at midnight, stomping around in a closed toe shoe makes no sense.

On a side note and our environmental challenges aside, we started the store because we wanted to create a lab of sorts where we could advocate for lines and emerging designers in a way that provided context and showcased their relevancy. Along the way, it’s important for us as a matter of course to resist the homogenizing forces in menswear right now and experiment with different styles and forms and see what happens. For us, it’s about moving past the “labels†and “boxesâ€, finding the best, and then crafting a style that uniquely reflects your voice, your experience.

Interesting.

Do you repair denim?

I just walked by your store today and did a double-take because I clicked on this thread and recognized the logo. A men's boutique that carries these labels in Houston? I did not know this existed. Has hell frozen over? (guess your first blog post addresses this)

Seems like a bad place to open a shop (on either side of the street). No pedestrian traffic, no other retail nearby that I'd go to. I hope you planned on having your online store drive your sales. Wish you the best either way.

We don’t repair denim in-house, but Jimmie’s Reweaving (2218 Richmond near Greenbriar ) does a decent job. It’s reasonably priced and they are very friendly. For reweaving, if the jeans are favorites, we would probably suggest taking the time to ship them to LA or a place that specializes in denim reconstruction. For any alterations, our tailor is fantastic (Leanna at Allure Alterations, 2620 S Shepherd) and we offer complimentary alterations on all purchases.

No worries on the question. Lets be honest, Houston is an urban sprawl and not the most pedestrian friendly city. But if there is a neighborhood that is walkable and populated with independent small businesses, it would be Montrose. ( And it’s also where we call home. ) But, specifically, we decided not to open in the standard Houston “shopping/retail†areas where you have to battle the crowds at the Galleria, Rice Village, or River Oaks. We envisioned MORTAR more as a classic full-service throwback store where an owner is always on the floor, where you can get your alterations taken care, where customer relationships matter, and somehow we couldn’t see that in a strip mall. We actually opened across the street in March but were completely overwhelmed with the response, so we moved the store across the street to our current location. But next time you’re in the neighborhood, definitely stop by.

We choose our current location because it is really a uniquely singular space in Houston, with an outdoors/courtyard and a building that is close to 100 yrs old (you know how everything gets torn down). We plan to put our courtyard to good use now that the weather is turning (we have been so excited that it’s been in the 80s!) and have already begun collaborating with artists and designers to host a series of creative pop-ups and artist ‘farmer’s†markets in our courtyard this fall. More info coming soon.

Mortar - site looks great, looking forward to seeing more! Store pics? I love interesting retail store design, be stoked to see what you guys built out to house such a solid brand mix.

Thanks for the feedback, Beach. Sorry for the delay in getting pics up.

We're fascinated with the concept of utility as a general theme and overarching principal. So most of the architectural elements in the store were salvaged and reclaimed. The floors are 100+ year old wooden floors from a New Orleans warehouse, the bricks from Chicago smokestacks, our doors salvaged for 90+ year old bungalows here in Houston, our fixtures are reclaimed industrial machines. We partnered our friends at New Living to bring in traditional Japanese shikkui plaster for the walls to help regulate the humidity and air quality in the space. The wall absorbs VOCs as it slowly becomes stone.

DPP_0778.JPG

DPP_0776.JPG

DPP_0779.JPG

DPP_0777.JPG

At MORTAR we have become huge fans of Baldwin's clean and classic straight leg, The Reed. The 13oz, pima cotton filled, White Oak Cone Mills denim is lightweight, comfortable, and of course extremely durable. So needless to say, we were all very excited to hear that this season Baldwin Denim was expanding their range to include additional key pieces to a man's wardrobe. Our first shipment of Baldwin's shirting has recently been uploaded to our site and they do not disappoint. Shirts are slim and tailored, fabrics are soft, and everything is cut and sewn right in Kansas City.

Their pants and blazers will also be posted shortly!!

Check out a great write up on the collection by Secret Forts.

Shop in store and online.

DPP_0763.JPGDPP_0764.JPG

DPP_0761.JPGDPP_0759.JPG

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the positive feedback! We are always around to answer any questions. Happy to give measurements, additional photos, etc. Just posted some great new pieces to the website. New items from Woolrich, Odin EDT, property of..., & Riviera Club here

The details on this coat from Woolrich are fantastic...

WoolrichCoat.jpg

We have added new denim to our website from Kicking Mule Workshop, Baldwin, Triple Works, Left Field and Gilded Age.

- KMW - 1950s - straight leg, 100% Organic Japanese denim with exclusive white selvedge

- Baldwin - 77s - dropped yoke, slim straight leg, cone mills yellow selvedge

- Triple Works - Future Denim, straight leg, Japanese denim with red selvedge

- Left Field - Verrazano - slim straight leg, unsanforized selvedge denim

- Gilded Age - Gotham Straight - Medium and Dark washed selvedge denims

• 2 weeks later...

INTRODUCING: ZERO + MARIA CORNEJO

When we were researching and planning our buy for Fall 2010, we were ecstatic to learn that Maria Cornejo was finally producing a full-scale menswear collection. We have been avid followers of Zero + Maria Cornejo for some time. Cornejo’s designs are modern, architectural and unpretentious. Using circular shapes as a starting point, these garments are simply draped and showcase sophisticated cuts and angles. Cornejo and her team use the finest materials available, such as silk, cotton and cashmere, to construct the line in her atelier in New York. We couldn’t be more honored to carry Zero + Maria Cornejo’s first menswear collection available to boutiques.

We hand picked a few of the best pieces this season to introduce the collection to our customers.

See some of the runway looks styled below.

Shop this collection

FW10Mens_01.jpg

FW10Mens_10.jpg

FW10Mens_12.jpg

FW10Mens_15.jpg

FW10Mens_16.jpg

Just posted new Nice Collective pieces online.

Designers Joe Haller and Ian Hannula approach each collection hollistically and their conceptual designs are completely wearable. Comprised of surprising elements, from hidden pockets to detachable pieces, we always appreciate Nice Collective's attention to detail and quiet utility.

In-store now, coming soon online:

Sunny Sports, Rogan and Inhabit. Call 713.529.0009 or email us for details, [email protected].

• 2 weeks later...

SUNNY SPORTS STOCK NOW ONLINE!

This season we brought in Sunny Sports, a Japanese line that offers a well-edited collection of incredible shirting. Their inspiration stems from traditional American styles and mixes with a modern Japanese design aesthetic. Utilizing specialty fabrics such as vintage oxford, chambray and organic cottons, they dye some of their most exceptional styles with natural indigo and traditional Japanese ink by hand. Subtle details, that add durability and comfort to each piece, include triple chain-stitched hems, pima cotton lining and hidden touches of selvedge. The craftsmanship that goes into each shirt makes them relevant and wearable for years to come.

sun_wht_work.JPG

SUNNY SPORTS - 40's Work Shirt - White - $209

sun_blu%20cham_work.JPG

SUNNY SPORTS - 40's Work Shirt - Blue Chambray - $209

sun_grey_work.JPG

SUNNY SPORTS - Organic 40's Work Shirt - Sumi-Grey - $275

sun_indigo_work.JPG

SUNNY SPORTS - Organic 40's Work Shirt - AI-Indigo - $275

sun_bd_white.JPG

SUNNY SPORTS - Vintage BD Shirt - White - $209

sun_bd_blue.JPG

SUNNY SPORTS - Vintage BD Shirt - Blue - $209

+ shop by GIFTS

shop by GIFTS under $75

shop by GIFTS under $150

shop by GIFTS under $200

shop by GIFTS under $300

shop by GIFTS under $500

+ new SALE items + further markdowns

SALE Denim

SALE Shirting

SALE Jackets

SALE Sweaters

SALE Tees

SALE Accessories

• 2 weeks later...

dropped by the store today for the first time. Iris was incredibly nice and hooked me up with some fiji water while I was trying on some common projects. Ended up grabbing the distressed officers boots, chatting about clothes and generally having a wonderful time.

Class act place, Houston's lucky to have ya.