what kind of starch do you use to starch your dry jeans?

su8m3rg3d

Quote:

Corn starch is the basic ingredient used in/by nearly all commercial starches and laundries. Has been for ages. If your GF still doesn't believe you try it out yourself or just tell her to read this.

Giftwrapped for you guys:

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=7016

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=3527

http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=2897

Edited by Circa on Apr 11, 2006 at 07:47 PM

--- Original message by Circa on Apr 11, 2006 07:45 PM

faced.

is it possible to overstarch your jeans? if so other then quicker wear (starch holes) anything else?

i think i may have over starched my jeans, they are really skinny at the knees (width wise, but are fine when you pull tight) and the knees sorta bulge out.

• 2 months later...
I through this idea out at dinner and my gf said that it would not mix??? do i need to add something so it mixes better?

i believe your girlfriend meant that it wouldn't mix if you just put the dry starch into the water. which is true.

in cooking, you first make a slurry with the a little bit of the water and then put the mix into the rest of the water. this keeps the starch from clumping, which will happen if you put all the starch in at one time.

• 9 months later...

i use 1 part elmers woodglue to 3 to 4 parts water,i learned this method from a website showing what military people use. very effective, no odor, long lasting. let dry 10-15 minutes before ironing or overnight for best results. sponging the solution on works well, less messier than spraying-mixture may clog sprayer. works on khaki too. great for creating rigid denim.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've tried mixing a powdered starch to use in a spray gun but all I seem to end up with is a white stain on my denim (not too many remarks please :P). I mixed it as per the instructions; one heaped spoon of powder into two spoons of water, mix to a paste and then add to hot water. The first time i tried it with a weaks solution and it did nothing and the second, much stronger mix, when dried, added no extra stiffness and just left a big tide mark...

Is anyone able to point out what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• 1 month later...
I've tried mixing a powdered starch to use in a spray gun but all I seem to end up with is a white stain on my denim (not too many remarks please :P). I mixed it as per the instructions; one heaped spoon of powder into two spoons of water, mix to a paste and then add to hot water. The first time i tried it with a weaks solution and it did nothing and the second, much stronger mix, when dried, added no extra stiffness and just left a big tide mark...

Is anyone able to point out what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Holy shit yeah I just tried out starching my jeans today and same thing happened.. The denim is like lightened by the starch. it's like it's been used in a construction site / been powdered. It is stiffer but why the fuck did it become like this? hmm? I followed all instructions...

Will this go away like will the starch just fall off as I use them and subject them to more wear or do I have to wash em to get rid of the whiteness?

Holy shit yeah I just tried out starching my jeans today and same thing happened.. The denim is like lightened by the starch. it's like it's been used in a construction site / been powdered. It is stiffer but why the fuck did it become like this? hmm? I followed all instructions...

Will this go away like will the starch just fall off as I use them and subject them to more wear or do I have to wash em to get rid of the whiteness?

I think the starch mix seperated and you are seeing the starch powder on you jeans. I occaisionally starch my shirts and have found that it works better to add the starch/cold water mix to boiling water. This cooks the starch and it keeps it from separating out of the water. Any corn starch powder works fine.

• 3 months later...