grunge saved my life

bencap

Sooo, I figure since a lot of us came of age in the 90's, there's plenty to talk about as far as 90's alt/grunge. I've recently started listening to a lot of shit I used to be into as a kid, and even found more bands from the same era that I'm really into, namely KARP. Definitely on the heavier side of things (especially their later material), but still catchy even though it's abrasive.

Check it (trailor for upcoming documentary):

KARP - self titled LP (1997)

http://www.mediafire.com/?zlmyx2gmzlm

Also: awesomest lemonheads song:

finally, I have to admit have a bit of a selfish reason for posting this, cause my band just finished recording our demo. thick shoegazey grunge stuff from san francisco, we're called hazel's wart:

http://www.hazelswart.bandcamp.com/

so um. share cool bands, tell us what your favorite nirvana bootleg is, etc!

KARP may have been of the same era as "grunge" but i wouldn't say they fit the mold at all

was just listening to the KARP/Rye Coalition split yesterday, strangely

not a lot of grunge has held up

i still like Nirvana's output

Smashing Pumpkin's Gish

Jane's Addiction

Breeder's Pod still slays me

there's not a promising signal to noise ratio when i scroll through the bands in my mind

KARP just reminds me of certain melvins stuff a lot, so that's why I associated them with grunge. And they're from the northwest *shrug*

That split with rye coallition is the first stuff I'd ever heard by them, and probably my favorite. Definitely my favorite rye coallition stuff, hands down.

I just found out about Ben Kweller's band from when he was like 15, Radish. Cheesy nirvana ripoff, but pretty enjoyable, especially since they're kids having a blast. I think they did 2 or 3 full lengths before breaking up.

goofy clip of them playing the weird al show:

And now, one of my favorite Nirvana live videos (something in the way, in Japan I think?):

The sound sucks, it's not even the full song, and the guy filming is far back, but something about the way the song is played and sung in contrast to the ridiculously huge and glamorous set makes so much sense. He sounds just as alienated and bummed out as I'd imagine him to be. Plus, Grohl's drumming is fucking sheer power!

KARP may have been of the same era as "grunge" but i wouldn't say they fit the mold at all

was just listening to the KARP/Rye Coalition split yesterday, strangely

not a lot of grunge has held up

i still like Nirvana's output

Smashing Pumpkin's Gish

Jane's Addiction

Breeder's Pod still slays me

there's not a promising signal to noise ratio when i scroll through the bands in my mind

except nirvana, those aren't grunge bands...? grunge was basically punk inspired hard rock - green river, mudhoney, soundgarden etc. commercially, you'd probably say pearl jam, alice in chains, stone temple pilots bla bla bla... most of that stuff was boring to tears at the time.

nirvana was kind of a weird case, their early stuff was definitely grunge but it was really kurt's songwriting and love of uk indie bands that made them so massive.

Why can't I figure out how to embed video on this? Feeling retarded here!

Big Business - ex members of KARP and murder city devils, and both these dudes play with the melvins now (at least they did on (a) senile animal and nude with boots, and live during that time). Video's not that great, I just love watching the drummer!!

Never got into it, but Psychedelic Furs had an album called Book of Days that was in the proto phase ('88,'89 thereabouts). Really stark, noisy album produced by David Allen. That's all I had to say. I would think/hope most grunge guys know the album.