boardgames: games involving boards

julianREE

Like Clopek, my favorite is puerto rico. such a fun, dynamic, sophisticated game. i would have to say dominion is my 2nd.

Dominion is unreal. So many expansions, so much mix and match, that game will never get old. It took the gameplay of magic the gathering and levelled the playing field. Instead of being a game about the person with the best cards (read: MOST MONEY), it's an actual strategy game.

Also, anyone looking for good two player games, I just picked up Lord of the Rings: Confrontation. It's a really exciting, fast paced game that keeps you on your toes. Not too complex, pretty much a simple battle game, almost with chess like mechanics.

Also Jaipur, the indian trading game. Staple for anyone who likes card games but is sick of go fish.

I recently played Citadels (card game) with a few friends.

It was a good time, but you definitely feel the betrayal hatred vibe after a few nasty rounds.

Good fast-moving game, though not quite as fast as Dominion.

I just cleaned out my garage. So many good games, most of them ruined by moisture/garage mice. I managed a Games by James for years when I was young so I had quite a hoard.

Some good ones I found, remembered, and trashed :( : Origins (short-lived and ill-fated etymology game), Farming Game, and CribbGolf (exactly what it sounds like, cribbage through a golf course). I also unearthed the child's game Bed Bugs, which can be a hilarious and engrossing game under the right circumstances.

I recently played Citadels (card game) with a few friends.

It was a good time, but you definitely feel the betrayal hatred vibe after a few nasty rounds.

Good fast-moving game, though not quite as fast as Dominion.

I'm a big Citadels fan. It's easy to pick up and the rounds can go quick. The backstabbing aspect is very on point. I think I'll need to check out Dominion.

you need some expansions. i don't think we ever played settlers without the expansions. just being able to have a very large board is worth it. in my opinion it's more fun to play on a semi-random board than the basic hex. we would usually do something like this with multiple islands. the only real rule that we had was to not have any red text number chits touching each other.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6073/6132567879_304165de14.jpg

Farming game is that good shit

Superficially it's a little like Monopoly. You buy plots of land to plant seeds on, and have expenses like fertilizer and farm equipment. Natural disasters and labor disputes are the "chance" elements. It doesn't have the brain-numbing repetition of elimination though. That is the most notable difference. It's actually a race instead; the first person to make enough money to be a solvent farmer wins, rather than having to wait for everyone to drop out.

It's fun! The crops, livestock, and equipment attach to the board like sticky colorforms, so it instantly draws on the kid side of people.

I had a weekly settlers: cities and knights game with a very random group until last winter, i won about 75% of the time and was hated by all. I always came back from behind to steal the win from someone else by going from 8 or 9 to 13 points in one turn. We had some really epic 5-6 hour games so people got tired of it and wanted to take a break. hope we pick it up again in the fall with maybe some new games. Cities and knights makes settlers a much better game, but still too much a game of chance...

I can see it: The dude who wears his sunglasses upside down, the somber maned guy with vest and chaps, the slick metrosessual, the girl...et al.

Are first printings of this game worth some dough? I have one that survived my garage.

Just bought Agricola. Holy crap.
i've always debated whether i should pick that up along with puerto rico. was it a cheap kop?

I'm gonna be honest, I hated Agricola. I found it incredibly plodding, yet somehow the game moved too quickly to actually allow you to take advantage of a lot of the moves and trades built into the mechanics.

like they were just there as a tease, almost impossible to capitalize on. Puerto Rico is, as far as the Euro Strategy games go, pretty much as close to perfect as possible.

So I really can't stress how awesome this game is. I'm a little concerned about it's replay value, but they're adding variations to the game to keep it fresh.

LOTRdeluxeBoard.jpg

Lord of the Rings Confrontation. Kindof like a mixture of Chess and a fantasy card game. Really, really ill. The artwork alone makes it worth a look.