Things to do in and around San Francisco

Yonderboy

I'm going to San Francisco May 18 and I'm spending almost three weeks threre with my girlfriend. I've learned alot of good shopping tips on this site. But I want you to tell me your best other things to do other than shopping. What restaurants do you recommend, and what other activities should we do? What good short trips outside SF are worth making?

Thanks!

/Yonderboy

• 2 weeks later...

If you are there for 3 weeks, definitely hit up Napa or sonoma for a couple days, short drive and alot of fun. (sonoma is better imo)

Touristy stuff- alcatraz is cool

haight/ashbury has weird cool shops

SF is an awesome city and you will find tons to do there.

^ Agree with all above. Since you'll be here 3 weeks and will probably be able to knock out most of the tourist sites (if you haven't been here before) in a few days, one thing I like doing when I travel is go to an OPEN HOUSE on Sundays. SF housing prices are REDICULOUSLY out of control but i have to say, most homes, condos for sale are Staged beautifully! Check out the diff neighborhoods, and people watch. SF is great for that! Oh and the dining is great!

Stop in Sausalito on your way to NAPA/Sonoma. See SF from the North Bay vantage point.

Have a good trip!

I agree with everyone else, definitely go up to wine country. Since you have plenty of time, take a drive down to Big Sur. Basically the highway hugs the coast, and it's one of the most beautiful drives in California. Spend some time in the many different neighborhoods of SF, they all have their own character.

As for dining, SF is great, second only to New York in the US in my opinion. If you're looking for fine dining, La Folie, Fleur de Lys, Gary Danko, Fifth Floor, Campton Place are among the best. The French Laundry is recognized to be one of the best restaurants in the world, but you're going to have trouble finding reservations and dinner for two will cost $400-800, depending on what / how much you drink. Piperade and Fringale are really good, they're a little bit cheaper than the first-tier SF restaurants and have really goode Basque / French food. For great and cheap Indian / Pakistani try Shalimar. For great Sushi try Sushi Ran (in Sausalito). For good mexican, try the places in the Mission. The Slanted Door in the Mission has really good Vietnamese / Fusion food.

That's all I can think of for the moment, if you're looking so something in particular, let me know.

[url=" http://www.jargol.com"] <a href="http://www.jargol.com" target="_blank">http://www.jargol.com</a>

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I didn't read any of the other posts so please excuse any over exposure:

Food:

Expensive - Slanted Door - Located in the old ferry terminal. Fusion at its best. Great menu and awsome view of the bay bridge. You'll need two week advance reservations unless you go for lunch.

Moderate: Le Petit Robert - Laid back French without the high price point. Great food and better deserts. On Polk and Green.

Cheap: Il Pollaio - Best chicken in town, local joint on Columbus Street. Super cheap and great food.

Also check out: Japan town and Columbus street.

Shops: SF used to hurt for shoes but I would say we have it on lock now with Huf and Nort. You have to take tourist walk up Haight to check out all the local joints - kidrobot, stussy, true, villians vault, giant robot, ftc and amoeba.

Things to do: Just checkout fecalface or http://www.sketchypad.com to see what is going on.

Hope that helps.