Button Down Fit

greentalks43

I have a question. How is a button down supposed to fit? Like where are the sleeves supposed to sit on your shoulders? I alot of my tees the sleeves start right at my shoulders, never halfway down arm like I see some people wear em. How are they supposed to fit across the chest/torso? I see guys a majority of the time in bands and such wearing dress looking shirts that fit great, a nice slim fit across the chest/torso and slim in the arms, and sleeves sit right on the shoulders. Yet when I try on shirts they fit incredibly loose. I know I can get them tailored but what about where the sleeves sit on the shoulders?

"Patience, both we and our words are overproduced by influence"

i think a dress shirt should fit slim, never baggy and bunching up when you tuck it in. and the shoulders should be right on your natural shoulder.

if you're looking for dress shirts with a decent fit, surprisingly express has them. I forget what it's called, but it's a slim fit, stretch cotton button up and they always have them in their stores. Slim across the chest and down to the hem (doesn't blouse out) and long slim arms. Check it out if you're not looking for thomas pink style high-end stuff.

Edited by dry the rain on Mar 16, 2006 at 07:32 AM

the seam where the sleeve meets the shoulder is intended to fit at your shoulder, BUT you can and should wear shirts however you like them to fit. But if you're trying on shirts and they're too big, and you want the shoulder seam to fit at your shoulder and it doesn't, you either need to try a smaller size or go with a different cut or brand. Just hit department stores at the mall and try on diff't brands and cuts and ask the saleperson in the men's dress shirt section to help you out...

Co-sign on most of what has been said above but I just want to make a separate point because I've seen a lot of ppl on this board referring to dress shirts as 'button downs'.

They're actually 'button ups' - 'button downs' refer to a type of collar where the flaps button down. They're more casual than regular dress shirts so I see how the 2 can be confused but just wanted to let ppl know.

Well the thing is, I've looked at so many shirts and I know in my mind they wont fit. I look at my tees and have the dimensions memorized so I dont even have to try on the shirt to know it wont fit. Ive tried on dozens of button ups with no success. One suggestion was Express, Ive looked at them, the smallest they come in is a Small and the shoulders hang way off my shoulders giving me a sloppy look.

"Patience, both we and our words are overproduced by influence"