shoe customization

chadler

i'm getting a pair if german army sneakers and i was thinking about painting the white strip black, like older version. what should i use and is it fairly easy and cheap? also, where can it be purchased in vancouver, Canada? i dont want the colour to be too shiny or dull either.

you may want to use acrylic paint, it's available at most art stores, and relatively inexpensive.

but you'll want to prepare the surface of the shoes for painting, otherwise the paint will crack.

clean the surface with some mild alcohol. that'll get the waxy layer off the surface and make the shoes more conducive for painting.

then apply a thin layer of preparant. you can get this at shops selling leather dyes. alternatively you can use acetone. but beware, acetone is very corrosive. use a very small quantity or you risk ruining your shoes, as well as the skin on your fingers.

you may also want to mix a little acetone with the acrylic paint to thin it. always apply thin layer by thin layer instead of one thick coat of paint at once.

let the paint dry thoroughly before you apply another layer.

have fun!

die Kunst ist keine Wissenschaft

Quote:

listen to proletariat. i recently painted my first pair of dunks. they look great, but can never be worn because i used regular acrylic paint. and all the sneaker heds have warned me that they will crack the second they are on a foot.

--- Original message by moongirl on Mar 15, 2006 09:45 PM

Maybe not the second. But damn close.

I think just about everybody...even the best...are using Angelus (sp?) leather acrylic paint.

www.turtlefeathers.com (not going to work but copy and paste)

Not sure if they ship to CAN.

Quote:

i sell it. gimmie a list of colors and I'll pop em ouit to you.

--- Original message by Proletariat on Mar 17, 2006 09:23 AM

oh really? awesome!

how much do you think it would cost? shipping and everthing included. i just need 2 small bottles of black and white.

• 3 months later...