Levi's 514 Selvedge

syn

Interesting, but the stuff is still probably made in mexico.

I was just asking in the 501 STF thread if they are unsanforized, what do you think?

My guess is that they ARE sanforized. They would probably mark it as STF if it were unsanforized, but this is just a guess on my part.

Interesting, but the stuff is still probably made in mexico.

Yeah, no doubt. :(

Levis has had selvedge pieces outside of LVC over the past few years. I believe they are all around $98 and are all made in mexico or guatemala.

No biggie. I think most of us on this board are new to this.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish they'd made them button-fly. Still, I might grab a pair, since it means I can finally get a pair of 514s; they usually only make up to a 30 x 32, and they have these in 30 x 34. Unless I should size down to accomodate stretching...hmm...

• 2 weeks later...

Very good and comprehensive review above. I just got a pair in 30 x 34 (which I think is the smallest size offered, and which is hopefully small enough). A couple of additional points:

- The zipper is Levi's-branded, not YKK, and feels a bit more substantial than the standard-issue zipper.

- The felled inseams add to the clean, sturdy look and feel of the product.

- The denim is smoother than I expected it to be

- They arrive in the mail with the cuffs turned up, maybe 1" total. I find this somewhat amusing. How do people feel about "selvage bragging", as marineabilly puts it? I'm sure it's covered in another thread.

- The hem appears to be single-stitch, not chain-stitched (I'm not an expert here, so I could be wrong).

- They are not, as some people guessed, hecho en Mexico; they are made in China.