Lee Jeans... Dare I say it!??

Dolo

I just kind of realized that out of all the jeans I own or have owned, for some reason LEEs always fit amazingly!! And it isn't just a 15-20 year old nice vintage pair I own/owned, but I recently copped a fresh new pair and damn they too have an amazing fit and cut! Not too tight or ever too flared, they always hang perfectly everywhere and are never baggy but with awlays just enough comfort room, but never too much! Sorry if i sound like a Lee advertisment

I know LEEs don't use the most premium quality denim... shit they aren't even Levis', But damn if they don't always fit nice (more so than i've ever found most levis to fit)! some of their washes ain't too shabby either! They always fade prefectly... It mostly just borders on traditional, but 9 times out of 10 that's what I want in a pair of jeans... simple and traditional.

Just an observation, just wondering if anyone has ever found this to be true also? Since everyone has been on a premium quality denim kick lately on here, this just popped into my head.

Quote:

I know LEEs don't use the most premium quality denim... shit they aren't even Levis', But damn if they don't always fit nice (more so than i've ever found most levis to fit)! some of their washes ain't too shabby either! They always fade prefectly... It mostly just borders on traditional, but 9 times out of 10 that's what I want in a pair of jeans... simple and traditional.

--- Original message by Dolo on Dec 7, 2004 03:13 PM

I'd completely agree with you. Lee, especially in the last 12 months are doing some great jeans.

The European line, at least, has some excellent attention to detail (like the narrow width twin stitching and edge stitched back pockets and yoke - using thick chain stitching, wide beltloops with centreline stitching, the green rivet, abrasion patches, nice size/style labelling etc - details that you would normally see on jeans at far higher price points), good fabric and washes, that mark it out as a product that is very well thought out.

Plus the Japanese Lee and Euro Lee vintage reproductions are just great.

Edited by ringring on Jan 19, 2005 at 12:23 PM

I always felt women looked better in lee's, like the cut of their jeans was more tailored to them. I had a pair years ago. I remember wearing them once or twice / week. Don't laugh but I had a pair of quess jeans I wore them hard. I felt they, not my lee's were more comfortable. Then guess they fell off in '96 and started charging over $100 for a pair for jeans that would be too tight for Jerry Seinfield.

So....How's your girl?

Quote:

Lee jeans are okay for poor folks.

So, basically in MY opinion, they are some busted ass pieces of shit.

Only the poor and homeless wear 'em .

--- Original message by frogeyes on Dec 10, 2004 09:46 PM

I recently bought a nice pair of Lee half-selvages. Bargain.

So poor, homeless and me wear them icon_smile_dead.gif

• 1 month later...

Vintage lees are really cool looking jeans. They have really coarse looking selvage denim and a greyish hue to the indigo. This pair is from the mid 50's and has a gripper zipper, LEE on the solid copper rivets, Lined Pockets, Hidden rivet in the coin pocket, 2 tone stitching, and half selvage. Notice the single stitched waist. These would probably sell for at least $350 in San Francisco. I have owend the repros and they are not near as cool as real vintage, but that is how it is with all the repros.

1105969089871_55lee1e.JPG

1105422753231_55lee4e.JPG

1107027119834_55lee3e.JPG

1105946920850_55lee2e.JPG

Live is too short for bad denim!

Oh, what I don't like about lees is the placement of the pockets toward the side seam. It makes you look like you have a big ass. BTW, vintage Lees are rare on the west coast because zippered jeans are more popular on the east coast. This is because the cold wind that attacks your pecker over there.

Live is too short for bad denim!

Quote:

I just kind of realized that out of all the jeans I own or have owned, for some reason LEEs always fit amazingly!! And it isn't just a 15-20 year old nice vintage pair I own/owned, but I recently copped a fresh new pair and damn they too have an amazing fit and cut! Not too tight or ever too flared, they always hang perfectly everywhere and are never baggy but with awlays just enough comfort room, but never too much! Sorry if i sound like a Lee advertisment

Just an observation, just wondering if anyone has ever found this to be true also? Since everyone has been on a premium quality denim kick lately on here, this just popped into my head.

--- Original message by Dolo on Dec 7, 2004 03:13 PM

i agree with you... 2 hands up agree with you....

?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I like the limited edition Lee 101s. The ones with the painted patch, contrast (white and red) stitching. Anyone know where I can get the 101B, with the buckle back? You can see a couple of people wearing 101Zs in the WAYWT and I think it looks damn sexy.

i've read many times in japanese magazines that lees actually fit better on most asians than levi's. this is because asians typically have "longer" butts. lees have higher rise on the back (the riders style) so they cover the asian contour better. plus, they give the illusion of longer legs. or, so i've read. (and the riders jackets are also supposed to be flattering, but the reasons escape me at the moment.)

i've also heard lee japan has been making great repros way before levi's japan did. (levi's japan's first repros were allegedly below par.) i know numbers of people who rave about lee repros still today.

definitely underrated. but good for the people in the know.

I like both the cowboy and the riders models, quite good quality and nice fit. Especially the hair on hide 1936 cowboy 101.If i'm not mistaken it's Edwin who makes em in japan. Also like the sugarcane and evisu repros.

As for the more modern stuff, Norma and Page are really good for girls and slim guys...

Also, if I recall correctly, Lee was the first to come up with the Type 3 jacket. Took out the pleats, tightened up the fit, made the pockets go in and not sewn on top. The trucker style jackets that Levi's has out now owe a lot to that.