selvedge for women

ladyjeans

hi all, i've been lurking and reading (alot of!!) post and here's my question and thoughts

I love the look of the jeans-raw after they've been worn for 1yr or so. Its awesome how organic it is! But why dont womens' jeans use the same raw denim? plus honestly, i've been trying some on ( APC doesnt work for me unfortunately )and raw just looks quite bad on women. its too stiff. sigh. can anyone recommend any dark slim jeans (raw or just slightly washed) that might work on a female (and i do have hips)

thanks so much.

ladyjeans

first to answer, my girl wears some selvedge jeans, and is in the process of breaking them in. they are one wash, mens size i think 26 or 27. or to be more precise, unisex. i think there was a thread a while back talking about this, and how most women wear jeans that emphasize fit, rather than denim quality, and that most women are willing to pay a premium, not based on quality, but rather on how flattering the cut is. that being said, ladyjeans, you seem to alreay be out of that paradigm and searching for something so you know you won't get the bootylicious bootycut lowwaisted craps.

the point i want to make is that the style will be different, and definately won't be as flattering. the rise will be pretty big, but it is a different style altogether; and i think that as you break in the jeans, the "organic" look that you like, will come into it's own and you will start to like how the jeans that you thought looked not so hot in the store look.

i know a few girls who wear really nice selvedge denim, and i think the style, while not altogther in fashion, is pretty damn cool once you get over the apprehension of wearing jeans that don't look "hot" and take the time to make the jeans yours.

i don't want to get into brands, because that is personal shit, but yeah :0

(edit: found thread i think: http://superfuture.com/city/supertalk/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=6049)

Edited by rigga on Mar 9, 2006 at 08:16 AM

thanks for the encouragement and the good thing (and irony) is i live in tokyo where most of you on this post seem to think has great jeans. I'm going to try looking at some of the jap brands and see what i can get. (i've just moved here 1 yr) so i'm still feeling my way around.

ladyjeans

off topic, but... why does women's fashion have to be different? it's not as if women are shaped THAT differently from men... they still have two arms and two legs, things don't have to always be ultra tight like a hoochie momma. i'm a little frustrated, because men in asia are shaped differently from men in europe. why do women have to always get lame clothes with flowers and pastel shades? so it's not that raw denim isn't suitable for women... women wear pinstripes nowadays after all. i guess it's just that designers aren't putting out stuff that we women want!

the reason why womens dont have too many selvege is because when you cut the pant, the side seam has to be a staright line in order to cut the entire side seam on selvege, and women tends to wear flair jeans, there for unless the jens is a starigh leg.

And even the jeans is staright leg, its really hard to contour around the hip area with selvege

when you look at the pictures, you will seewith women, the side seam has way more curve.

pic2.jpg

Edited by 6MT on Mar 9, 2006 at 12:47 PM

Flares on jeans seem to be on the outs, so you may be in luck getting yourself a straight legged jean that retains its self-edge.

Unfortunately, if you're a bit curvier, you'll have a tougher time finding mens or unisex jeans you like, those are generally straightish cuts. ie. APC New standard.

If you're OK with wearing kind of a boy-cut jean, then you're totally fine, and if APC doesn't work for you, maybe look into some repros, Levi's LVC will give you varying cuts in the different models, from slim straight 1947 501 to wider and baggier 1955 501.

I was recently in Caban, and they had a summer capri jean made by Seven for all mankind with a permanently upturned cuff, and they had sewn red fabric over the frayed edges on the outseam to make it look like a self-edge.

good luck on your search

nairb49

Quote:
Quote:

for the love of god go for a straight leg jean, plenty of length and do a huge cuff, selvage or not, that look is so fucking hot

--- Original message by lyingonyourdriveway on Mar 9, 2006 12:45 PM

this week anyway.

--- Original message by giantreptile on Mar 9, 2006 02:48 PM

i feel its a pretty classic loook

straight leg with cuff and heels

my friend wears acnes, and bought them a month ago. I was a bit disappointed in the jeans cos of the softness, but they fit well on her (shes got big hips, and def cant pull off straight leg).

So to me right now, apcs for slimmer cuts, and acnes otherwise.

but those ones onrakuten look sweet

Quote:

off topic, but... why does women's fashion have to be different? it's not as if women are shaped THAT differently from men... they still have two arms and two legs, things don't have to always be ultra tight like a hoochie momma. i'm a little frustrated, because men in asia are shaped differently from men in europe. why do women have to always get lame clothes with flowers and pastel shades? so it's not that raw denim isn't suitable for women... women wear pinstripes nowadays after all. i guess it's just that designers aren't putting out stuff that we women want!

--- Original message by holly go lightly on Mar 9, 2006 12:01 PM

mmm. preach on, holly.

Wow. I find it so cool that so many girls are getting into selvedge jeans...icon_smile_big.gif I'm also in tokyo and interestingly one style that has taken of with girls is jeans that AREN"T fitted well, sorta very very low raise/pocket and very baggy / unflattering butt/pocket section and then very tapered leg. Thinking Frapbois jeans....

yes denimbirds for women !

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

Finding decent women's jeans is a MASSIVE pain in the ass. I thought Denimbirds looked promising but after trying on a couple of diffferent styles I was totally disappointed by the fit - they kind of squash down your butt and have really low back pockets to emphasise the effect. I recently got a pair of Jean Shop selvedge jeans that I really love, but I'm not sure if they do a slim fit - I only saw a loose "boyfriend fit" and a straight-legged "classic fit" which was still fairly loose in the leg on me (but I'm not exactly curvy). Anyway good luck...

horriblyjollyjinx , thanks so much for your suggestions. U live in tokyo? i'm going tomorrow to check it out and will report back. Since i'm trekking to harajuka - anyone else has any other suggestions. gotta be honest, sometimes i can only do so much of that place -can get so crowded and if u're a newbie like me, everyshop pretty much looks the same and sizes are tiny!

ladyjeans

I wear Nudie slim kim dry and Denimbirds bootcut...they arent selvage but as far as a dry denim goes for chicks i think they are great, infact they are my favourite jeans! and now that ive had them for almost 2 years, they look so damn good! I stil think the RR and Sven look hot on a girl you just have to be a little bit boyish figure.

Quote:

horriblyjollyjinx , thanks so much for your suggestions. U live in tokyo? i'm going tomorrow to check it out and will report back. Since i'm trekking to harajuka - anyone else has any other suggestions. gotta be honest, sometimes i can only do so much of that place -can get so crowded and if u're a newbie like me, everyshop pretty much looks the same and sizes are tiny!

--- Original message by ladyjeans on Mar 10, 2006 12:37 AM

nope, dont live in tokyo :/

You can find addresses here

http://www.fabfour.co.jp/main/shops01.php

http://www.samurai-j.com/samurai/samurai_main.html choose Select shop

good luck!

dontcaretoomuchforcrap CANT SKATE!!