Help Buying STF:

superfriend

Hi I am looking for some help and guidance...

Looking to buy a pair of Levis STF (not LVC 47 or whatnot, just the regular 501xx).

I have searched and tried to figure out what would be the size I should get but cant figure out:

A. how much they really do shrink? really? no really.

B. how to buy based on Levis sizing?

C. a bunch of other stuff?

Here are some facts that may help...

I am 6'3" and 185lbs. No real body fat, although I do play football and have an ass.

I have a measured 32" waist and a 34.25" inseam (this is what my dress pants get made at).

Normally I buy 32/36 Jean but in 501's, I cannot fit into a 32 or even a 33 (its pretty snug). I have a pair of 501 (regular) 34 /36 and they fit OK but would prefer them a shade tighter.

any ideas? comments? help?

Edited by superfriend on Mar 6, 2006 at 08:31 AM

depends how you want them to fit after you shrink them. i personally never wash my project jeans so i just got a size smaller to stretch them out after tons of wear. if you want to wash them you should upsize atleast 1" on waist and prolly atleast 2" on inseam. if you look at the tag on the levis it tells you what you should get and just go from that.

We shouldn't discourage the newbies.

That's how the board grows.

Anyway, you're gonna want to get them in a 38 length. They'll stack up well with boots. You could go shorter if you don't wear boots. I know that sounds absurdly long, but give it a try. And I'd say your normal waist or one bigger.

I am mostly 34x34, but for STFs I get 34 or 35 x 38.

And I echo what others have said. They're the cheapest decent jeans going, so just experiment.

Quote:

Is it possible to avoid the bulging knee/twisted leg problem with the cheap 501xx's? The same problems have happened on two pairs for me and I am buying a third pair soon.

--- Original message by taromakino on Mar 7, 2006 12:19 AM

The bulging knee problem is the curse of dry denim...it happens with the higher end denim as well.

Yes,

I am planning on pre-soaking, then wearing the living sh*t out of them. Washing them is not a concern, I will just go swimming in the ocean every 6 months. (Spring and Fall). Then lay on the beach until they dry.

I am thinking that a 501xx 34x38 might do the trick...for this purpose.

Edited by superfriend on Mar 8, 2006 at 09:48 AM