Old News: Americans dress horrible

skecr8r

Walking around NYC for a single day and now Orlando for 4, I have once again rediscovered that Americans dress so freakishly horrible that anyone from the US of A posting in What-Are-You-Wearing thread no matter how horribly dressed, is better dressed than 99.9999% of the population over here. My fucking god my eyes hurt.

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL

Guest Fade to Black

yeah i know what you mean skecr8r...the residents of the town i'm in can't dress for shit, guys or girls. Most of the guys just probably don't care, and that's fine...but it's the girls who try then fail miserably that always kill me.

these people are all over the world not just in the US.

i've seen a whole lot horribly wrong dressers too myself [in my opinion] icon_smile_blackeye.gif

but maybe it's cool/onz/dope/rock for them. i'm sure when they look at us and think the same as

how we think of them. "gosh those damn bad muh'fuhs with their whatevers!" hmm...do they?

icon_smile_shy.gif

when boredom starts,

insanity will be kind

Quote:

lol ur in orlando.... that says it all. aren't most people in that city tourists anyways?

I know you must've been impressed by the new yorkers, cus thats mah city.

--- Original message by nanyc on Feb 17, 2006 07:53 PM

yup. Disney world, usa. Theres no place to go in orlando other then they shitty ass places around disney and its all tourist from everywhere...

Mostly guido euro-trash shopping in armani exchange.

http://www.baskew.com

Come to Tokyo. You miss one hot minute and you're already outta style. IMO New York is better though; people there dress to reflect their lifestyle. Been very fadish here for the last couple years, nothing dynamic like Hara-kei pre-2000...

Style has nothing to with latest trends, thats why the stylish ones are the ones who dress above the horrible 'it-bag' tendencies everybody is following.

TRUE style comes from choosing the finest garments, believing in yourself and keeping it real no matter what you are wearing. I could argue for a business man, a nikehead, a dior homme freak, a yohji-architect or a hiphop dude being equally well-dressed. It's not about what you wear exactly.

Thing is, everybody is kicking bootcuts, weird ugly-ass tee's and ... I don't know, bad fitted items. And the good looking women ruin it all by slutty make-ups, ugly ass men and tight-fitting camo jeans.

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL

going around exepecting or hoping everyone you saw (as you walk around wherever you happen to be) dressed with self-awareness and class is like expecting everyone to like good food, listen to cool music, or actually love and care about their neighbor.

do you really think the Dalai Lama cares about nike dunks or selvedge jeans or the lack of availabilty of Wings and Horns? Doubt it. BUT...if someone here from SF sat down with him and expressed their love/appreciation of fashion, about how much they care about decent denim, I bet he would totally dig that. I would tell him about my obsession with finding the perfect ceasar salad.

I would also point out that you can only choose from what's available, and American culture is driven by convenience.

Quote:

Emrinder; thank you for your irrelevant and un-knowing comment.

It's like every 3rd post I make these days is answers to people who call my posts irrelevant.

I miss the old days. :'(

--- Original message by skecr8r on Feb 19, 2006 09:09 PM

Dude, I've seen pics of you, and you have a good look, but it is very studied, very clean, and very Northern European. Not sure where you are from, but I would guess either Germany or Scandanavia. Now, I don't know Orlando, but I know NYC. Especially in the East Village and parts of Brooklyn, a very common style is probably best described as "the carefully unkempt hipster". People deliberately wear stuff with the fit slightly off, deliberately disregarding washing instructions on designer clothing so that it looks worn and faded, and wearing colors mismatched a little on purpose. In LA, a lot of people in the fashion/hipster scene do the same, with regional differences (more skin on display,) more color. Often, ironic references are used (like UGG boots) before UGGS have really even gone out of style in the mainstream. The idea is to introduce obvious imperfections into perfection. Or perfection into a mess of imperfection. Change your perception a little bit, and you'll start seeing things a little differently. I have friends (all Americans) who are buyers in various other markets, and it is amazing the adjustments they have to make, how they have to recalibrate their philosophies of what is stylish and what is not, depending on where they are. Margiela looks different worn in New York than in London than in Japan.

LA Guy, well said, yet it is indeed stating the obvious.

Like, the entire thread is a joke - this forum is too random for me to actually post relevant topics or anything; not trying to be funny - I'm just making threads exactly as useless as the majority of other users are. Maybe I'm proving a point, I don't know, it's all symbolic.

Emrinder, I've been reading since the board was around 3 months old, but first registered - as many others - to respond to a question. I would consider you a old-schooler aswell, but maybe you didn't enjoy the time so much. I just liked the personality of the writings and the person galleries of the old days.

I am well aware that the entirety of the globe only have one thing in common - difference.

Margiela is indeed worn different; but I am just amazed by the amount of weird clothing. I know your culture is casual when going out, but I am at a convention center, the people who attended the convention was indeed very rich and very varied in age and they all dressed equally horrible! That was why I, in a moment of LA Guy-boredom, decided to post a thread about it.

I'm not advocating my style or anything, as I noted you don't have to dress like something specific (Copying Dior Homme runways is bad taste), but just put the clothes together in a somewhat working way, like I noted in another topic recently. My style is extremely dark, glitter, glam inspired - I wouldn't recommend this to anybody bot Boy George, Elton John or people who are equally interested in provoking a reaction. It's about looking your best, I'm extremely androgyne in style and extremely aware of couture and the different looks that work for different people. Sharp lines, like northern europe, is not necessarily the best, nor what works for the majority.

Finally. Now I justified the post, yet I didn't make it relevant - my mission is complete.

I'm going home. Bye!

DON'T YOU WANNA BE COOL

Omigod, LA Guy-boredom. Did I seem that bored yesterday that it's now a documented state of being? So wishing I was in Las Vegas right now instead of staying behind there. Made the wrong decision. Made the wrong decision.

Anyway, my point was just that even with the same designers, perceptions of how to wear the clothes stylishly, or, as skecr8r might state it, put things together in a cohesive way, varies widely from continent to continent, even regionally. For example, I am repping a company from Heartland America right now who make some really solid, really well detailed pieces, but they are really isolated from NYC or LA, not to mention Paris or London, and their idea of "edgy" would put skecr8r's style in crazyville (not to impugn on skercr8r's style, which I would never even try, but which seems to work well for him, this was just used as an example.) This is not relativism that renders all judgements impossible, as someone in another thread stated that it would. It merely requires a recalibration of aesthetic standards in order to make that judgement, as I pointed out in my previous post. That is why Luisa, Maxfield, Jeffrey's, Colette, United Arrows, though all buying the same designers, edit entirely differently. (God, I would love to be a buyer for any of those stores.)

God, work is boring today.