Northface Fleece

naturaljax

when did this become suddenly popular for everyone to rock?

Seriously, I've worn Northface fleece when I've gone backpacking and snowboarding for as long I can remember.

But now it's like, some super trend.

498662884_l.jpg

^^ like what is that?

I been rappin' for about 17 years..

I don't write my stuff anymore,

I just kick it from my head you know what I'm sayin I can do that.

No disrespect... but that's how I am.

the north face is one of those brands that has one (or more) cult-like followings in circles completely removed from its original intended consumer base...those circles being in this case NYC thugs and sorority girls. the denali fleece (pictured) is easily the most popular item with the college crowd. aside from the occasional northface backpack, that's the only thing i see a lot of on my campus. but at home (brooklyn) the northface has been huge for as long as i can remember.

though i'm in montreal, so there is a bit of a necessity for warmth, TNF has been pretty popular among girls and guys for a number of years.

the fleeces were especially popular on campus about 3 years ago, if i remember correctly. i just happened to notice one day looking around the lecture hall and seeing about 30 north face symbols on shoulders.

nairb49

yeah. i go to a school whose population is like 80% JAPS (jewish american princess).

one of the top 20 schools in the us news ranking

everyone wears the denali fleece like its some kind of school uniform

the fashion (well, i dont even know if theres such thing) scene can be summarized in 5 points

-north face denali - black, pink or blue

-hard tail, seven jeans, citizen of humanity, joes jeans, the infamous juicy sweat suits

-big ass tote bags by kate spade and etc

-flip flops, and skinny pumas

-huge eurpean brand sunglasses e.g. gucci, fendi, and etc

i swear this is what 90% of the girls look like on campus. the other 10% just dont give a shit about anything.

Yeah you see those fleeces all over the place and they have been played out for awhile. I have a black one and even though I don't wear it much anymore, it is a great fleece. I have had it for like 6 years and it is still as new as when I bought it. I have a lot of North Face gear from 5-6 years ago and the quality was much much better back then. It is also too bad that the US never gets any of the collab gear like the Futura or Maharishi jackets that are I think only in Japan. I thought I read something awhile back that North Face was bought up by the parent company of Lee jeans, is that true?

Quote:

its not a big thing, its been around forever, just functional. like asking why everyone is wearing levi's jeans.....

--- Original message by poly800rock on Feb 16, 2006 11:15 AM

Obviously not.

Like the sorrority/frat scene cares about functionality, when they wear flip flops in the fall.

If you asked them why they are wearing it thought they would say it is functional or good quality or comfortable, which is all true but not even close to their motivation to wear one.

my favourite things

http://mfthings.blogspot.com/

It helps that it's so easily identifiable, with logos on both the front and back. It does for the fleece what Polo and Abercrombie do for the polo shirt. Just expensive enough that the people who aren't interested in fitting into that category could never justify the cost, but the people who are interested will pay a premium to recreate the image it represents to them.

I actually like to wear them when it's cold, but I haven't for a few years because I don't want to fit into a picture with a caption that might read "Definitely Northfacin' it!" (which is the MySpace.com caption of that picture /puke)

any other fleeces that are more acceptable?

I been rappin' for about 17 years..

I don't write my stuff anymore,

I just kick it from my head you know what I'm sayin I can do that.

No disrespect... but that's how I am.

I don't think there's anything wrong with North Face, they make nice quality, good looking (for the most part) readily available outerwear for the masses. But, I hate it when girls get all dressed up to go out, then slap on a North Face Denali instead of something more stylish. North Face is not all-occasion gear.

I'm so self-conscious...

i just went to webshots - a popular photostorage service popular among college kids

and typed in "north face" as a query. oh man...

267215857JweFyM_ph.jpg

ive found hundreds of pictures that look like this

273181578nsmSyN_ph.jpg

Edited by herpsky on Feb 16, 2006 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:

its not a big thing, its been around forever, just functional. like asking why everyone is wearing levi's jeans.....

--- Original message by poly800rock on Feb 16, 2006 11:15 AM

Obviously not.

Like the sorrority/frat scene cares about functionality, when they wear flip flops in the fall.

If you asked them why they are wearing it thought they would say it is functional or good quality or comfortable, which is all true but not even close to their motivation to wear one.

--- Original message by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Feb 16, 2006 11:22 AM

functionality as in saying it keeps you warm. I don't think that the sorority/frats are the only people that wear these, EVERYONE wears them, it keeps people warm. i think they might pick a northface one because its the major brand of fleece. same as levis/seven/whatever being the brand of denim...but like you go to a store, and northface will be the most prominent fleece...like how levi's is the major brand of denim in stores.

adidas sample stuff on the bay now.

DAMN YOU PEOPLE STOP WATCHING AND BID!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid

that's horrifying. i'm glad canadians have mostly steered clear of it, though i've noticed our own version cropping up with the bubble vests.

i have some north face gear but i actually ski/camp/backpack so it serves some utilitarian purpose. it has a way lower price point than arcteryx or patagonia, which is why i buy it and probably the most logical explanation for its popularity.

Quote:

That's not how it is, they don't go into a store and say I need a fleece, they go specifically searching for a north face and wont settle for anything but...

Frat kids don't wear levi's because for some reason it isn't the brand of the moment for them.

--- Original message by SENDkylHISPASSWORD on Feb 16, 2006 06:13 PM

dude, you make a lot of broad generalizations about people.

adidas sample stuff on the bay now.

DAMN YOU PEOPLE STOP WATCHING AND BID!

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZtriggerkid