Upper Playground---yea or nay

Proletariat

I've been into their store in SF a few times and it's nice. They have a TON of their own designs and a huge stock it seems, but nothing really stands out to me. They collab with a lot of artists that really don't do it for me. They had some hot designs on some hoodies this year, but the material felt like shit to me. Those new era's they just dropped thou are pretty disappointing also. So far not feeling it, but I think they will get some shit that catches my eye sometime

it's pretty neat, imo. i like the art they sell and the shirts aren't ridiculously overpriced. the only reason why i don't want to support it now is because they opened up a Workmens Balance over in San Jose where i live (maybe 40 minutes away from SF) and basically, workmens is stocked with a whole shit load of marked up upperplayground/LRG/truimvir3/adidas--whatever. which means hella scenester kids are gonna rape and represent without knowing what it's all about or what artist they're wearing.

The thing to note about UP is that they are one of the few heads still supporting artists strong.

Alot of brands are bringing heat to the street from rubbing shoulders with artists and then fucking the artist over. No names, but they will be called out soon. The playing field is about to be leveled.

UP def. puts the people they collab. with first. I know this first hand.

They have some things up their sleeve with some dope artists coming your way.

Keep an ear to the street, vatos locos.....

I like the whole concept of the place but like it was said a lot of the actual stuff is hit or miss. Some of the designs are sick as hell while a lot I have seen in the store for years. Also, can someone explain why the UP store did not carry the UP x Adidas collab shelltoes and when I called yesterday the guy said they will NOT carry the UP New Era hats? Since when does a store not carry it's own gear?

Quote:

it's pretty neat, imo. i like the art they sell and the shirts aren't ridiculously overpriced. the only reason why i don't want to support it now is because they opened up a Workmens Balance over in San Jose where i live (maybe 40 minutes away from SF) and basically, workmens is stocked with a whole shit load of marked up upperplayground/LRG/truimvir3/adidas--whatever. which means hella scenester kids are gonna rape and represent without knowing what it's all about or what artist they're wearing.

--- Original message by samsikle on Feb 4, 2006 06:07 PM

yeah, alright

- elitist

i like what their doing with the artist collabos and all, but i'm not feeling most of their products. if the price was a little less, i might and that's a teeny might, fuck with it. i read an article about them that said they basically financed the business by charging it all on personal credit cards, which put them in serious debt. guess that's why they charge what they charge. if the quality was on point, then that could be justified, but it's just average stuff.

also, i was born and raised in SF, and was into hip-hop culture from the late 80's and all through the 90's and they kinda represent a lot of what i don't like about hip-hop in SF in general now.

i've been disappointed with its hoodie quality. i had one UP x flores hoodies and only 6 months later, the zipper just fell apart and it's irreplaceable.

while i do fully support their artists' collaboration, i just wish that they could do better with the quality on the fabric.

but that doesn't prevent me from going to the shop and check out their new stuff...

last time i was there, they did have a few pairs of adi x up kicks in the glass display...

Quote:

i like what their doing with the artist collabos and all, but i'm not feeling most of their products. if the price was a little less, i might and that's a teeny might, fuck with it. i read an article about them that said they basically financed the business by charging it all on personal credit cards, which put them in serious debt. guess that's why they charge what they charge. if the quality was on point, then that could be justified, but it's just average stuff.

also, i was born and raised in SF, and was into hip-hop culture from the late 80's and all through the 90's and they kinda represent a lot of what i don't like about hip-hop in SF in general now.

--- Original message by Liu Soula on Feb 4, 2006 10:47 PM

Lots of general comments.

Liu Soula, can you clarify what hip-hop is now in the Norté

and how UP doesn't represent that ideal? I'm not seeing it.

Esp. with every hippty-hoppity fartist slinging shit like a

Mexico City swapmeet.