Indie Rock

jsmilez

The pretention that is automatically involved in any music discussion disgusts me. I am reminded of the quote "assholes are like opinions." I listed some of the more accessible indie pop bands that I listen to, and like, at the request of the OP. Some of them completely changed how I think about music, namely the Microphones, but I love all of 'em.

What the hell ever happened to liking a good band/album without people accusing you of 1) name dropping (btw, that is the fucking point of this thread to make recommendations, thank you) or 2) being part of the "pitchfork crowd."

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pretention that is automatically involved in any music discussion disgusts me. I am reminded of the quote "assholes are like opinions." I listed some of the more accessible indie pop bands that I listen to, and like, at the request of the OP. Some of them completely changed how I think about music, namely the Microphones, but I love all of 'em.

What the hell ever happened to liking a good band/album without people accusing you of 1) name dropping (btw, that is the fucking point of this thread to make recommendations, thank you) or 2) being part of the "pitchfork crowd."

i think if you solely listen to tom waits, you'll be good on ALL counts. pitchfork or not.

being indie is really funny isnt it

you either belong in the pitchfork crowd which arguably is not indie anymore

but on the other hand you stand listening to these really strange 'real' indie bands that has like demos and shit and frankly they sound really really shit and the recording quality etc. is real shit

so basically, to be indie, you either 1) stop being indie and listen to pitchfork et a. or 2) litsen to shit music

id say that at this point the term "indie rock" has more to do with the way a band sounds than what kind of label theyre on and how well their albums are produced.

also, i have a method of filtering out bands i think are crappy, and the label theyre signed to has nothing to do with the process.

Prurient

John Wiese

Heathen Shame

Merzbow

Whitehouse

I'd start with them, easy listening.

Haha.

..and Yellow Swans.

• 4 months later...

I was gonna make a new thread called "indie's not dead"...but this one's close enough.

This is really fucking good.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3250a_beirut-cliquot-from-the-flying-club_music

and if you haven't fallen in love with them yet, Menomena amazes me still...

http://barsukmusic.blaireau.net/menomena/

I hear about the Kooks, a friend told me they were good.

To risk being labelled with the "pitchfork crowd" (I actually only saw the post on the top of this page, so I don't actually know what conversation it stems from), I really like Jens Lekman's new album, Night Falls Over Kortedala.

But anyways, Pants Yell! is really good, kind of lo-fi, twee-ish sorta stuff. Check out Recent Drama, I think it's their better album.

id say that at this point the term "indie rock" has more to do with the way a band sounds

That's my take on it. I don't listen to music "because it's cool", I listen to it because I like it.

Anybody heard of Wintersleep? Fucking amazing. Best band in Canada right now, in my opinion.

Silversun Pickups is good, and gonna give more recommendations to Spoon and Arcade Fire.

Also:

Kill The Lights

Sea Wolf

Constantines

Brian Borcherdt

City & Colour

DFA 1979 (they're dead now tho)

Feist

Gentleman Reg

TV On The Radio

Jim Guthrie

Mono (the Japanese band, not the US)

Pinback

Royal City

St. Vincent

The National

The Sadies (kind of rockabilly sounding)

Not many of these sound like Modest Mouse, but that's okay. All good bands/artists in my opinion.

I suggest Rocky Votolato. I'm sure people are familiar with him on here, but I mean he's been a daily play on my Itunes for a while, ever since "Makers" dropped. Check him out.

http://www.myspace.com/rockyvotolato

Death From Above 1979 = indie rock?

That's my take on it. I don't listen to music "because it's cool", I listen to it because I like it.

Anybody heard of Wintersleep? Fucking amazing. Best band in Canada right now, in my opinion.

Silversun Pickups is good, and gonna give more recommendations to Spoon and Arcade Fire.

Also:

Kill The Lights

Sea Wolf

Constantines

Brian Borcherdt

City & Colour

DFA 1979 (they're dead now tho)

Feist

Gentleman Reg

TV On The Radio

Jim Guthrie

Mono (the Japanese band, not the US)

Pinback

Royal City

St. Vincent

The National

The Sadies (kind of rockabilly sounding)

Not many of these sound like Modest Mouse, but that's okay. All good bands/artists in my opinion.

what do you guys think of the whole Swedish indie pop dealy? i know its been happening for a long time now, but ive noticed a lot of people getting into it after PB&J blew up. personally im digging on bands like: loveninja, radio dept., i'm from barcelona, club 8, legend, acid house kings and a few other labrador recording artists.

what do you guys think of the whole Swedish indie pop dealy? i know its been happening for a long time now, but ive noticed a lot of people getting into it after PB&J blew up. personally im digging on bands like: loveninja, radio dept., i'm from barcelona, club 8, legend, acid house kings and a few other labrador recording artists.

swedes....

i used to like love is all.

hate it

The Garlands are basically the only band that matters.

http://www.myspace.com/garlandssweden

you can check out new buffalo since you like feist. I have to be in the mood for it, it can be slow and boring. she wrote the 123 song for feist.

radio dept is my favorite band from Sweden. the honeydrips is also good if you like melodic indie pop.

thanks i'll check them out

I'm also looking for something like Corinne bailey rae.. more soulful, piano or guitar voice mostly. like that song "gatekeeper" by feist. simple stuff.. Know any goodies please let me know :)