Dog tag & cross necklace

Anyone know who makes that dog tag and cross necklace? it's like a dog tag with a cross cut out and a cross itself. one hangs lower than the other. i think i've seen on the waywt thread but i couldn't find it in the search

Reporter: "Write the check yet, Randy?"

Moss: "When you're rich you don't write checks."

Reporter: "If you don't write checks, how do you pay these guys?"

Moss: "Straight cash, homey."

When Chrome Hearts started, they were making leather trousers with sterling buttons and rivets. They asked Armand Serra, who was at that time carving jewelry for The Great Frog on Carnaby Street, to carve the button design. He said no. A few years later he opened his own store in Covent Garden called Crazy Pig Designs. If you want a quality silver, gold, or platinum piece of jewelry, I suggest going to Crazy Pig. The pieces are unique, they are all handmade, hand finished and can be sized in the shop within about an hour.

Unlike Chrome Hearts which is overproduced and made en mass in Mexico. There is no government regulation for silver content in the US or Mexico, and most of the Chrome Hearts (and several other copycat designers) is carved and created to use as little metal as possible.

www.crazypigdesigns.com

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig.

^ To be perfectly honest man, there is no difference at all. People will probably try and tell you shit about how the real ones are better quality silver, but being a "silver snob" is like being an "underwear snob" its just fucking stupid. The stuff costs $10.50 an oz., and it is very hard to mess up, superglue costs more an ounce than silver. As a hobby jeweler, I have bought alot of this shit to mold the designs, etc. to make for friends, and believe me, even if it was .91 silver vs. .925 sterling silver, it wouldn't be worth the $200+ price difference to buy Chrome Hearts/Crazy Pig or whatever the hell else you are into.

• 3 weeks later...

By no means am I assuming that it was my post about the quality of English Sterling vs. Mexican that could have caused any silver snob comments. When one tells the truth, states the facts, answers someone's query, and possibly educates the reader, it is hardly fucking stupid, I wouldn't think.

Sure, pretty much anyone can carve a mold, and cast a piece of whatever, in silver, gold, platinum....... I am pretty sure even shit would work with an epoxy of somekind, the point is that there can be a large, even huge difference in quality from one piece to the next, depending on how it was made.

If you want the look, and dont care how a piece will hold up, save your money and go to Claires, or buy a knockoff on ebay. It is a trend that will pass quickly. (Except in Japan) and I agree, the prices are ridiculous for silver. If you are looking at a piece that you love, and it represents something to you, I would consider buying an original. It wont turn your skin green, and if you hate it in 5 years make a profit and sell it on ebay to Japan.

Thanks for the interesting stuff, Bird and Vine.

Just to add to the thread, I heard that CH are opening a store in Paris soon, either on Place Vendôme or Avenue Montaigne, which are the two most prestigious shopping places (full of Cartier, Chanel, Dior etc. boutiques).

I think the Karl Lagerfeld rock look is finally becoming mainstream (boys with skinny jeans tucked into their boots...)

As a matter of fact, CH is opening in Paris and WaiKiKi(I cant spell it, just sound it out:) I want to add this as well, I was at market in Vegas all week, and saw LOTS of silver. I was chatting with a dude from CH (not at the show mind you) and we were discussing the very topic that has emerged here.

So many designers doing similar things, and all of them have probably dissed Chrome Hearts at one time or another, I know I have. What he said made sense though. No matter who did it first, or who copied whom... there is an enormous market for this type of adornment, and Chrome Hearts was on the forefront in the creation of this wide acceptance. Like it or not.

I am not a fan of CH. I think the quality is poor, the goods are all outsourced, and the designer no longer lays a hand in the creation of his goods. They are too readily available, and not special anymore. This does not seem to matter that much to anyone else... Paris isn't giving CH a storefront to see an American Designer smack in the middle of haute couture. CH has the $$ to be there, and so do their customers (who are not, I would assume, French at all)

I think their prices are a travesty, however this has paved the way for their peers to step up their quality and make a fair profit. I speak of Nagual, Van Amburg, King Baby, and Crazy Pig for example. The owners of CPD (Crazy Pig Designs) are two of my very best friends. I knew them when they were at the Great Frog on Carnaby Street. Armand carves each and every CPD design. He has a part in the finishing process of every ring, bracelet, pendant.... down to each link on the chains they make. I know when I wear their Jewelry, I will not see it on anyone else, and I know the pieces are limited to what the small shop can produce.

Nagual, while out of California, has beautiful and innovative designs...... quite different from the crosses and skulls of his peers. Mitchell Binder of King Baby has grown to his success in front of my eyes in the past few years. He is very hands on, and has begun working more with diamondsand precious metals. I saw his booth at market this week and was blown away by his custom guitar cases with sterling handles. I feared the pricepoint, but there are plenty of guitarists out there who want to make as much of an individual statement as their playing does. Jerry Van Amburg works mostly in exotic skins, making anything you can dream of. All with sterling appointments that he also carves and casts. Each of his pieces is hand crafted without one machine stitch, and I have never been in his studio when he wasnt lacing or whipstitching as he talked.

These people have so much talent, and they never stop innovating and creating. There is always something new.

Which "brand" would you rather spend your money on? ...... (lMe too I want the cheap mass produced one)

I will finish my rant adding only that ............ I love Gap Body underwear. They are the best. Cosabella, La Perla, Agent Provocateur, kiss it..... Gap body all the way. Before that it was Knickerbox from London. Plain cotton/lycra. I guess I just dont know how to truly appreciate underwear and I apologize for that. I am thankful that the thong has become so popular, used to be they were impossible to find... Does having a preference make me a snob?

Quote:

^ To be perfectly honest man, there is no difference at all. People will probably try and tell you shit about how the real ones are better quality silver, but being a "silver snob" is like being an "underwear snob" its just fucking stupid. The stuff costs $10.50 an oz., and it is very hard to mess up, superglue costs more an ounce than silver. As a hobby jeweler, I have bought alot of this shit to mold the designs, etc. to make for friends, and believe me, even if it was .91 silver vs. .925 sterling silver, it wouldn't be worth the $200+ price difference to buy Chrome Hearts/Crazy Pig or whatever the hell else you are into.

--- Original message by englandmj7 on Feb 7, 2006 11:34 AM

Does it take a lot of startup capital / skill investment to start trying to make hobby jewelery?.. it sounds really interesting, but I have no idea where to start.

Quote:

I will finish my rant adding only that ............ I love Gap Body underwear. They are the best. Cosabella, La Perla, Agent Provocateur, kiss it..... Gap body all the way. Before that it was Knickerbox from London. Plain cotton/lycra. I guess I just dont know how to truly appreciate underwear and I apologize for that. I am thankful that the thong has become so popular, used to be they were impossible to find... Does having a preference make me a snob

ha hah.....I didn't mean to come off like a dick, and wasn't really personally referencing you, although it may have seemed that way (sorry). I was just calling it out because I know that whenever someone on here asks a jewelry question, at least 4-5 people say "Buy Chrome Hearts". I was simply commenting on how much of a ripoff of a brand it is. With something like a simple, authentic sterling silver ring/pendant, as long as the design is executed well, there can't really be "poor quality." That is all I was saying.

To answer the question about a trying to make your own jewelry, I have an advantage because I studied it in school (for fun; I am a int'l business major) so I know the teacher and she still lets me use the lab. If you don't have access to a univ. with facilities, it is going to cost you alot and isn't worth it unless you are going to be making alot of stuff. Although it seems like casting a ring is simple (for instance, a typical piece for me = waxwork/moldmaking, preparing piece for casting, baking, casting, cleaning, polishing) it takes alot of little materials/tools/machines, etc. and the cost can add up.........check with local schools in your area, or invest in some wax/files and make something, then go to your local jeweler/small studio and ask if they will cast it for you.....

About skill, if you are even a mildly decent artist with some creative thought, you can make very nice pieces. You would need some tutoring on setting stones/moldmaking/soldering, etc. but overall it is not as "scary" as it may seem.......

Edited by englandmj7 on Feb 25, 2006 at 07:18 PM