Rustler Jeans

englandmj7

Last time I was in a Walmart they had tons of raw Rustlers for $8.99 a pop....... didn't have enough time to try them on though. I know that they are owned by Wrangler, who also makes some pretty heavy raw jeans.......anyway, my question is, have any of you guys bought a pair of either Wrangler or Rustler? Do they come in any decent cuts? I am not really interested in the vintage "Wrangler Blue bells" and whatnot, just the cheap-ass pairs at Walmart and K-Mart........anyone?

icon_smile.gif

it takes a little surgery, but I had an old school pair of mavi's with a pretty high rise that a friend altered for me... she lifted the waist, removed some fabric and reattached it...

they ended up being kinda fucked up with a rise that was way too low.... but if it was done well that could be a way to make 8.99 jeans more wearable i think

giantsdrink.squarespace.com

I love the idea of altering jeans yourself if you are able. I think this is just an extention of breaking them in and does even more to make the jeans your own. Some of the best pairs I have seen have been taken in or patched. Like the man said, for 8.99 you can do any damn thing you want to 'em.

Quote:

I love the idea of altering jeans yourself if you are able. I think this is just an extention of breaking them in and does even more to make the jeans your own. Some of the best pairs I have seen have been taken in or patched. Like the man said, for 8.99 you can do any damn thing you want to 'em.

--- Original message by damnIam on Jan 27, 2006 07:34 AM

exactly... unless you want a twisted seam or somthing crazy like that, you can do a lot of things...

it doesnt always turn out very good, but a bit of practice goes a long way

giantsdrink.squarespace.com

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just recently purchesed a pair of Rustlers from Kmart cheap as all hell $11 cause I got the coin pocket!haha They had ones W/O the coin pocket for $8. I moved out of my appt using them straight for 5 days wow do they stink now! I just want to experiment with the raw denim to see how it breaks down. Im wondering if they will ever break down.. tag says there garuanteed for a year.

• 3 months later...

I bought a pair of Rustlers yesterday for the purpose of using them to hunt, fish, do farm work etc. They were raw, and last night I cold soaked them to see if I could get any shrinkage out of the way. I hung them up to dry over night and this morning they look dark as ever. I sprayed some starch on the back of the knees and below the front pockets. This is only an experiment. I just needed some "work" jeans in order to not ruin my nice pairs. ANY thoughts on Rustler jean treatment and turnout?

they arent good.

I wore a pair for like 7 months straight and I could tell you that...

yes they will wear in and fade just like any other jean but they arent very nice at all.

it took forever to get any kind of wear

I now use them as spare material to patch holes in much better jeans.

I've never broke in a pair of Rustlers myself, but I have picked up a couple of pairs from thrift stores.

I'm not sure if the new ones are made the same, but the few I have are made in USA and have decent denim.

As for how they turn-out, it is the reason I even own a pair of Rustlers. The used pairs I bought had extreme whiskers and great wear points. Although, as others have mentioned, they do not hold their indigo very well and look faded. And the fit isn't great, I only wear them for doing chores around the house.

ANY thoughts on Rustler jean treatment and turnout?

THEY ARE 10 BUCKS!!! seriously. there is no way this WON'T be worth the money. will they fade with perfect high contrast whiskers and honeycombs? of course not. will they stack perfectly on your sneakers? of course not. they are cheap yarn, dipped in cheap dye, woven into cheap, but thick and dark fabric. that said they fade great for what they are, and are totally worth 10 bucks.

there is no "treatment". they are just thick jeans for people who need them for hard labor.

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather has been wearing $8.99 Rustler Ridged jeans for as long as I have been alive. He buys them because he doesnt care if they get messed up and they are tough. He buys them ridged, and my grandmother washes them like 5 times before he wears them in order to get the "stiffness" out and make them more comfortable. He certainly wears them hard - he owns a ranch / farm in west Texas and does everything in them. But what amazes me is how he gets them to fade and break in. His oldest jeans always look pretty awesome, but as soon as they start getting good, my grandmother throws them out and gets him a new pair because she thinks they look "too worn out" and is worried about them "ripping pretty soon". Oh how generations change. I wear Rustlers to work in as well, and they are fine by me, but I would never wear them for the purpose of breaking them in really - but I just got some new ones for work jeans and I am anxious how they will eventually turn out.

My grandfather has been wearing $8.99 Rustler Ridged jeans for as long as I have been alive. He buys them because he doesnt care if they get messed up and they are tough. He buys them ridged, and my grandmother washes them like 5 times before he wears them in order to get the "stiffness" out and make them more comfortable. He certainly wears them hard - he owns a ranch / farm in west Texas and does everything in them. But what amazes me is how he gets them to fade and break in. His oldest jeans always look pretty awesome, but as soon as they start getting good, my grandmother throws them out and gets him a new pair because she thinks they look "too worn out" and is worried about them "ripping pretty soon". Oh how generations change. I wear Rustlers to work in as well, and they are fine by me, but I would never wear them for the purpose of breaking them in really - but I just got some new ones for work jeans and I am anxious how they will eventually turn out.

We need to see some detective work. Lets get some pics of your gramp's jeans.

I will be going back out to the ranch in a few weeks little before Christmas time. I will do my very best to snap some photos if I can get into his closet. Call me Sherlock.