Yohji Yamamoto F/W 09.10 Paris

inaya

From a local paper:

Yohji Yamamoto: For the intellectual Japanese designer the show Friday night was one beautiful note. Long, lean monastic coats and dresses came out one after another, punctuated only by red flat shoes and a red hair accessory. This is Yamamoto’s territory, deconstruction and menswear – a black tuxedo jacket as cocktail dress. There was little decoration – just the drape of fabric at the neckline or a long panel of fabric hanging at the back of a lean sheathe.

beautiful, poetic, sublime. Yohji might be here and there with his menswear; never misses a note with his womens.

mmm i have to disagree - i love his mens', especially the shirts, and although some of the pants are virtually unwearable, they look beautiful.

This collection has too many colors.

Calm the fuck down.

seems like anything beyond black and white and shades in between is too colourful for some (unless I misunderstand).

his mens is good, my post was not a complete dismissal of it. But it doesn't hit the same consistency and clarity of execution as the womens, this is a pretty indisputable fact both in pictures and especially if you have handled the garments up close.

yes of course, always of a much higher degree.

rajio i had to laugh at that

This collection is great, thanks for the details inaya <3

earlier yohji stuff, later yohji stuff, it is practically interchangeable except in the most minute of details (showpieces excluded)

he makes clothes that last a lifetime and handed down generations and it looks completely in sync with whatever 'now' is, even though obviously distinct from whatever else is the buzz at the moment. Where his genius lies.

Then again, easier to do when you work with a pretty accessible (ie mostly black/white) palette.

it's how he works the proportions that transcends his work to a realm of its own