Hussein Chalayan

Guest Phrost

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ your fault.

anyways, I was skeptical about the 'post of the month' function, but dayammmmm phrost, really blew it out of the park.

I would like to see some sort of interview with Chalayan regarding his '98 s/s collection between if only to ask if specific events led to the obvious similarities to the burkha of Islamic origins popping up, or if it was the general trend towards worldwide fear of terrorism that he sought fit to comment upon.

I tried search wikipedia for some specific event in mid to late '97, but no go.

fucking amazing stuff. I've seen the airplane dress in person in london its so clean and pleasing to the eye.

I love the semi-naked models in the headscarves as well, and some of the geometric shapes pieces. Amazing designs. St. Martins is defiantly one of the best fashion colleges in the world. +rep

the design museum retrospective is also notable because of the huge amount of video material they've managed to show. really enjoyed seeing some of his short films, including 'place to passage' (2003). chalayan applying himself to different media, with startling results.

would love to see his FW02 collection 'ambimorphous' - the single photostrip of selected looks really piqued my interest.

also, for those who're interested - a complete list of his collections and their titles...

AW94 - Cartesia

SS95 - Temporary Interference

AW95 - Along False Equator

SS96 - Nothing/Interscope

AW96 - Still Life

SS97 - Lands WIthout

AW97 - Scent of Tempests

SS98 - Between

AW98 - Panoramic

SS99 - Geotropics

AW99 - Echoform

SS00 - Before Minus Now

AW00 - After Words

SS01 - Ventriloquy

AW01 - Mapreading

SS02 - Medea

AW02 - Ambimorphous

SS03 - Manifest Destiny

AW03 - Kinship Journeys

SS04 - Temporal Meditations

AW04 - Anthropology of Solitude

SS05 - Blindscape

AW05 - Genometrics

SS06 - Heliotropics

AW06 - Repose

SS07 - One Hundred and Eleven

AW07 - Airbone

SS08 - Readings

AW08 - Grains and Steel

SS09 - Intertia

as limited as (obviously) a mere list of titles is...i think one really sees the chalayan concerns and motifs coming out when you observe the titles in their entirety. likewise an entire retrospective of his work.