Denham the jeanmaker (New from the makers of Blue Blood..)

Guest Selvage Seb.

Guest Selvage Seb.

A few weeks ago I heard some very interesting news;

Jason Denham, co-funder of Blue Blood is going to launch his own label and shop in Amsterdam.

I'm really looking forward to see his collection!

This article from Fasionunited.com sounds very promising;

"The first collection, due in the summer of 2009, has been inspired by a pattern book from 1910 and the models have been named after the techniques which are described in that book - The Cutters - including 'Cutter', 'Dart', 'Tape' and 'Tailor'. The production will be done in Japan and Italy by the jeans manufacturer Hiro. The key words are quality and originality. "It is a passion", Denham explains. The brand's subtitle is 'The Jeanmaker', with a pair of scissors as its logo. "The scissors I used to cut my very first pair of jeans 17 years ago."

The first collection, which will be delivered in December, has not yet been presented at any trade fairs, but it has already enjoyed some small scale sales in the Netherlands (Spoiled), Germany (14oz) and the United Kingdom (Harvey Nichols). Retail prices start at 150 euro and can run up to 500 euro.

Denham will be introduced at the Bread&Butter fashion trade fair in Barcelona in January. The collection will be expanded into a complete clothing collection for ladies and gents before this launch, with tops, jumpers and coats in addition to the jeans.

The premises in Amsterdam, from which Denham's own shop will be launched in December, will also be home to the new brand's head office and showroom. "I want everything to happen in the same place, so customers can also gain some first hand knowledge of how we work. It will be a unique experience."

Denham.jpg

Anyone able to share some background information?

www.denhamthejeanmaker.com

This could be interesting.

It seems to go the very "European" route in high end denim making though, splash some Japanese under your logo so it will look "exotic", etc

What I find interesting is that he already has a branded Sake bottle and glasses up there, I know its part of the story with the jeansmaker Hiro also making sake etc etc, I'd just say focus on the product first and the fluff around it later.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Their own store could be interesting but I am surprised by their choice of Spoiled to carry it, wich has imho one of the poorest "denim bars" I've encountered so far.

I'll keep my eyes on this just cause it comes form my home town but from the looks of it it seems to be another brand that wants to crossover denim and lower end fashion .(no hate)

And it'll most likely succeed.

This could be interesting.

It seems to go the very "European" route in high end denim making though, splash some Japanese under your logo so it will look "exotic", etc

What I find interesting is that he already has a branded Sake bottle and glasses up there, I know its part of the story with the jeansmaker Hiro also making sake etc etc, I'd just say focus on the product first and the fluff around it later.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I agree with the European part (ALD is the finest example), but i disagree with the latter. It has to do with branding, i think the guy wants to create a complete brand experience, which is cool. Of course it has to involve some japanese shit again, but it's just about making the brand a lifestyle product, which, imo, is a big part of your company nowadays if you want to succeed with expensive stuff

• 2 months later...

New from the makers of Blue Blood.. Denham.

Last night I went to the Denham store opening party here in Amsterdam.

And.. Let me share with you my thoughts on this brand..

1. Fancy store location? Checked.

2. (Trying to have some) Japanese feel to the brand? Checked.

3. Denim bar? Checked.

4. Custom made denim service in 7 days? Checked.

5. Walls filled with 'history' of the brand? Checked.

6. Raw denims? Checked.

7. Over-prized pre-washed denims with selvage? Checked.

8. Authentic Japanese sake for sale? Checked.

9. An atelier-like office? Checked.

10. An 'exclusive' next season only by appointment section? Checked.

11. Chain stitch service? Checked. For 10 euros it will take you 2 weeks though cause they said they'll send it to Hong Kong.

12. Any real Japanese person at the launch? NONE.

So... All and all.. Why do I have the feeling that this brand is too... Over thought?

Not saying its bad or anything. As I also didn't really manage to inspect the quality of the jeans in detail, but.. it seems like they are trying to hard to think of every aspect of the brand they could cover. That in the end.. I felt that it became... cute! :P

As for the name.. Denham.. Denim.. Denham Denim. It may sounds cool for the first 2 minutes but after a while it just gets annoying.

But oh well, that's my personal opinion though!

Maybe you should visit the store and judge for yourself. :)

http://www.denhamthejeanmaker.com/

Anyways.. Here are pics from last night...

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

I walked by that Denham store in amsterdam a few times in the past year. Always wondered what was going on in there. Nice to see some pics of the store. So it finally opened.

I already had the opportunity to see and touch some of the jeans and clothes in december at Mode D'Emploi in The Hague.

I walked by that Denham store in amsterdam a few times in the past year. Always wondered what was going on in there. Nice to see some pics of the store. So it finally opened.

I already had the opportunity to see and touch some of the jeans and clothes in december at Mode D'Emploi in The Hague.

any comments on its quality?

i didn't manage to inspect them carefully last night. it was too crowded to browse through and the free booze might make my judgment rather not objective ;)

any comments on its quality?

i didn't manage to inspect them carefully last night. it was too crowded to browse through and the free booze might make my judgment rather not objective ;)

It didn't really make a big lasting impression on me. Saw it, touched it, didn't feel like buying it. I didn't like the selvage on the outside of the jeans. Seemed too gimmicky.

and free booze is always a good thing :D

They send your jeans to Hong Kong to get chainstitched?

This is the craziest thing i've heard in a long while...

What's the deal with out of store purchasing? I will say that that little book with the denim cover does seem like something I wouldn't mind adding to my collection...

They send your jeans to Hong Kong to get chainstitched?

This is the craziest thing i've heard in a long while...

Let me quote what the they told me when I asked about it..

"It's 10 euros. But it will take 2 weeks cause we will send it to Hong Kong. But don't worry.. We will take care of everything.

But.. we only do it for special denims. It has to be vintage Levi's or hardcore Japanese denims.."

And I was like.. Ha! I might as well head down to 45rpm in Paris.

I will have my jeans chain stiched AND I will have a holiday.

@Cotton Duck: Thanks for merging the threads!

• 9 months later...

Bumping this dead thread. Anyone have any more experience with this label?

Their Tailored jacket gives me a massive hard on.

4071926029_42b6bf0a68_o.jpg

I was seriously considering one of their wool jackets before I went with an WWM. Essentially all jackets I have seen were really nice while the jeans were ... let's say I saw them in two shops, my favourite denim store in town (FH, SDA, SC etc) and in a mainstream shop selling Diesel and G-Star. They looked less out of place next to the Diesel pants

Guest Selvage Seb.

Denham does have a very impressive archive!

http://denhamgarmentlibrary.blogspot.com/

and a really great blog

http://denhamthejeanmaker.blogspot.com/

The most cuts are probably too modern for the most denimheads around here, but I really like the brownish selvage fabrics they use. Last season they also added a straight 5 pocket jean to the collection (called the Grade), for who's more into the classic cut jean.

The one kilo melton wool is also worth to mention, feels very thick and soft. With great attention to detail in the jackets

You really have to see the concept store to get the full picture