What car would you purchase with 15 grand?

$15000 is an awesome down payment... you could lease a brand new Infiniti G37S for like 200/month (60 mos). Or a bunch of other cars that was just the first that came to mind.

New Nissan 370Z for like 120/mo (60 mos).

I don't know I guess what I'm saying is you could get something pretty sweet for a minimal payment.

A Nissan Silvia like this one but without the body kit..

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/NISSAN/SILVIA/Melbourne/detail.aspx?id=8634299&lid=8634299&pg=1&pp=2&d=0&nv=1&SG=-1976285144&pt=1

Really fun to drive, plenty of things you can do with it, reliable being a japanese made car. The only issue is fuel consumption, at 12.5L/100km it guzzles a bit.

Alternatively, you could get a mazda, they're fun, small, also reliable, not as much modding capability but if you're dedicated, maybe.

you are the reason people hate people that drive BMW. driving an e36 3 series is not a pussy magnet. Hell, you probably have that one with the hubcaps and think your "swagger" pulls it off but it just makes you come off as some guy driving a car because of how he thinks it makes him look.

from his post it does not sound as if he is trying to buy a random ass used car that is going to cost money every few months because something is gonna come up. Dont buy a used European car unless you want to take care of it. i have an a4 and that shit has something come up all the time that costs money to deal with. parts cost alot, labor costs a lot. if I could do it over i would have a civic or something.

bottom line. Buy a fucking honda fit or something and you will not have to worry about your car. it will be under warranty, get good fuel millage, and just be generally worry free. Better yet, buy a year old used civic so you dont get fucked by the dealer fees and what not.

I do have hubcaps on, its fucking winter. I don't give a shit how my car looks, its just a blast to drive. Are fucking toyota's and honda's fun to drive? Fuck off.

Your an idiot, do your own work, its dirt cheap. Buy your parts online at cost, borrow/buy tools if you need, read a couple DIY's, DONE. Most maintenance you can do it yourself. If you dont have time, find a reputable indie shop, order your own parts online, and just pay the labor costs. Maintenance is just a fucking excuse. All cars need maintenance, cars with more juice need more maintenance, its how it works.

OP, you drive stick? Go drive an older BMW and test drive any new honda, even a new SI. Then tell me which car is more fun to drive. RWD vs. FWD wont even be close. I get 30 mpg's average on my car driven daily, gas is dirt cheap right now anyway, and might be for the next 5 years.

In the end its your choice, if you drive stick take a look into older BMW's, their manual tranny's are extremely well built, if you drive auto just buy a Japanese car, their all pretty much the same.

Nothing beats the styling, the class, the wood paneling, the prestige, or beauty of the 1984 lebaron convertible.

1984lebaron.jpg

i recommend for everyone

oh no, what I meant was $15,000 is the max I can spend. I want to just buy something cash. Why pay finance charges if I don't have to, you know?

So yeah, those cars although nice are a little too rich for me at the moment.

$15000 is an awesome down payment... you could lease a brand new Infiniti G37S for like 200/month (60 mos). Or a bunch of other cars that was just the first that came to mind.

New Nissan

I don't know I guess what I'm saying is you could get something pretty sweet for a minimal payment.

nobody mentioned a Smart ForTwo... I've been thinking about getting one of these. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 mpg, and definitely falls into the fun catagory. Also falls into the don't-hit-me-or-I'll-die catagory, but I've been pretty damn good about avoiding people who feel like it's a good idea to ram me on the road so far, so I plan on keeping it up. Anyone who has any experience with these, I'd like to hear about it.

Otherwise, the Datsun looks mighty fine to me.

oh no, what I meant was $15,000 is the max I can spend. I want to just buy something cash. Why pay finance charges if I don't have to, you know?

So yeah, those cars although nice are a little too rich for me at the moment.

Well in that case I have a '98 BMW 528i in great condition I'll give you for $6,900. You'll have 8k left over for grad school beer money.

Buy a used 2003 small-mid size thing like a cobalt, civic, camry, corrolla, jetta, g6, whatever. You can get something like that with less than 50,000 for under $15,000 and have some leftover cash for other shit you could probably use.

People who say FWD cars are crap haven't driven an ITR. I've only rode in one but I still can't believe how those things handle. They are definitely well under the 15k mark, though it'll be hard to find an unmolested one. I'd be tempted to say screw gas mileage with that amount; you can find any 300ZX and even some earlier 350Z's, RX-7's, S2000's, and M5's are quickly approaching that too. Boxsters and 911's are near it too.

15K USD will get you into any pre-facelift E46. The girlfriend's mom drives an A6 for the past two years. Approaching 250k kms and hasn't required anything major, just a handful of little things. Those are a bit big though. I'd say find an EK Civic hatch for $6k, use a bit to clean it up, and you'd end up with $5k left, absolute-worst case. You'd have a car that will run forever, they still looked decent, and with $4k to clean it up, you can have a lot of fun with it. They get far better mileage than the newer ones.

If you want a newer car, get a Fit or Yaris, or move up a class and go with the Mazda3. In the Camry class, none of the Japanese cars get as good mileage as GM's offerings out in the real world. Of course, the GM cars are boring as fuck to drive and the interiors, bar everything but the newest Malibu, are shit.

Are all these people talking about buying r7s, 240sx, 300zx and other cars like this actually of driving age or do any of you own those cars? Not the most reliable, expensive to fix, mediocre to poor gas mileage (varies based on engine, miles, maintenance, etc...). Is it because there are so many asians on this board why people feel they need a car with high hp/torque/rwd like they're going to race it? You guys are stoops