Differences in Fred Segal's

Rockn

I don't know of the ones you mention but

I have been to the melrose location of which they

own and purchase all their inventory and is looked

at as the more revered location then there is the

santa monica location which actually rents space

out to some vendors under the fred segal roof.

This may have changed in the year since I've been

but they are both a lot of fun to check out and I

always find things I like not to say I could afford

but something new is always to be found.

I know for a fact that the SM location is pretty much a very high end swapmeet. That part of the genius of Fred Segal, he doesn't have to mess with inventory or staff too much, he just rents space , exerts his taste, and puts his name on everything. I thought the Hollywood location was the same thing, but I could be wrong. Though the seperation between the sections there does seem like different buyers. At the very least the Ron Herman section is seperate.

damn, learn to use google.

anyway as somebody just pointed out, there are "two" fred segal shopping complexes in two parts of town - one in santa monica (near the beach) which is like a bunch of different people renting space under one roof, and one on melrose in (west) hollywood.

fred segal street, fred segal man, fred segal trend and conveyer are all stores within the santa monica complex.

fred segal trend is like an upscale urban outfitters. my girlfriend goes there to get chip+pepper and seven jeans and i go there to sneer at ugly ben sherman shirts and lacoste crap. sort of like the "young mens / metrosexual" section of your average dept store. actually it's a bit like a downmarket american rag.

fred segal street was the best thing in LA until union opened shop. they have a good selection of 10deep and stussy gear and a lot of stuff in that vein. sort of along the same lines as the labrea mob but w/ better selection + service and no crowds. it's a bit less design-y and more bling oriented, too, which you may like or hate (i go just for the 10deep and stussy).

fred segal man i've only poked my head into because it's out of my price range but it's like an upscale american rag - focusing on what i always think of as the "paul smith" market, $100-200 striped shirts and $100 designer tee-shirts (not streetwear!)

conveyer is a fancy sneaker store. fuck that shit. (so 2004!)

the melrose location is like a high-end men's dept store, sort of like barney's. you get stuff like lucien pellat-finet and prada mixed up w/ smaller brands like ICR v bushwick deth killers and what not. the very cheapest stuff there will set you back quite a bit. again, i go just to watch my friends and girlfriend shop - i can't really afford anything there. it's a gorgeous store, with a cool cafe, but it's more about fashion than style.

ron robinson is a sportswear subsection in the melrose store (there's also a ron robinson housewares shop, and cosmetics too, i think) but i don't think it's anything particularly interesting or technical, more like upscale benetton/polo/hilfiger type gear (much more upscale than those brands obv)