tailoring jeans

jjs home

Does anyone know if it possible to get a strip of demin up the sides of a pair of jeans so that they can be widened? Kinda like a racing stripe. It seems fairly simple, but my regular tailors were afraid to try. I'd be willing to travel to do this, so literally any tailor fmo philly to NYC will do

thanks

DOES WHAT I SAY INTEREST YOU?

I am available for employment,

full time, part time, & consulting, depending on the numbers

I am willing to work for major companies, brands, stores, and magazines

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

feel free to inquire about anything

contact email: [email protected]

because he was fucking like the primcess of the whole galaxy or whatever.

Naw I have some denim that matches what I want widened, so its not really gonna contrast, just stand out a small bit. that new waist band information was ery helpful though, I wasn't even thinking about that.

The whole process is just to make a pair of jeans widerin the legs as well

Again anyone with any info on who can do this, lpease let me know, because my regular tailor said he didn't have the equipement

possibly whereever you want me to work, or what gap you need filled is up for discussion, from working directly with clothes to freelance writing

could be pretty cool! i think tuxedo stripes rock it!

its pretty do-able.. but as happeroonie said, if you want a uniform amount of extra room all the way up, then you will need to either cut into the waistband (a bit messy), or put on a new band after....

do you want them wider iin the thighs and waist too?

woop woop 1 hundred

Ha well again I'm not doing the contrasting color thing, ala tuxedo's and parasucos, but just litterally like a 2 inch strip of denim running all the way up the seems of both sides of the jeans. The goal is to make them wider around each leg all the way up by like 2 inches, and it will be black on black denim so it wil not be very noticeable, unless some super future poster spots me wearing them, I'm sure no one will know the jeans did not come like that.

the waist band info was very helpful however, because no it gives me an idea of how I can reinforce the hips wear the seems will be

but again I now know its possible, as I was near positive when I bought the jeans, so now someone please direct me to a skilled a proficient tailor

jjs home

no one said it would look good though. i think thomas is right and the tuxedo stripe would actually look better, otherwise it just looks like poorly designed jeans.

your tailor might be weary because of the pocket rivets, while it is possible they make it a lot harder, because you are talking about the whole leg. the rivet will needto be drilled out and a new one put in.

also it all depends on how close the fabric is trimmed around the pocket bag, as to what kind of finishish you will end up with.

teisco.gif

Quote:
Quote: ^^Haha. Illicit Jeans are kinda nasty huh

there denim jackets are fantastic though, amazing cut.

--- Original message by haptronic on Dec 8, 2005 02:41 PM

Really? I haven't spyed their Denim Jackets. A buddy has a canvas jacket and the zip isn't sewn into the lining!! I was quite shocked, poorly made. You see that quite a bit on 70's jacket from thrift shops.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

i have a similar question: i have a pair of jeans that are really dope but too baggy for me and I want to get them tailored. Is this something fairly simple or no? Any pointers? Thanks in advance.

To see victory only when it is within the ken of the common herd is not the acme of excellence

Edited by ReasonRumRunners on Dec 11, 2005 at 09:35 PM

• 4 weeks later...

I tailor my husband's jeans all the time. He loves vintage denim, but they rarely fit him the way he prefers his jeans to fit. The key is having thread the right thickness (if the stitch is visible) and having a large supply of heavy duty needles. Ebay is the best bet for cheap needles.

I usually take in his jeans on the inseam since it is easier to undo the chain stitch on the inseam, and you get to keep the nice fade/laddering on the outside seam. Sometimes they are baggy at the hip so I've removed jean rivets once or twice too. Its a bit tricky, but it certainly can be done.

I posted a how-to for removing jean rivets & replacing them after taking in the jeans at the pocket area on patternreview.com.http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/review/readreview.pl?readreview=1&ID=950

If your jeans fit at the waist, you can taper in the jean fabric you want to add. That way you can avoid taking the waistband completely apart

• 1 year later...

I got my imperials tapered a little the other day, I always felt dukes were a little bootcutish, maybe I have big thighs...

Anyway, the tailor did the coolest thing to taper them, as they are selvage I didnt want the outseem touched, and she was all like "I cant replicate this inseam double stitching"

So what she did was fold the denim over about a cm (on the inside), then sew that down flat right next to the double inseam stitching. The result:

nearly invisible tapering,

all original details kept,

and If i ever change my mind I can unpick the stitching and they are back to normal...

I'm impressed, you?