Dsquared - love it or loathe it?

Tyler

Hello

Did a search on Dsquared and lots of people here seem to loathe it. I was wondering why? Granted some of their stuff is a bit OTT - studded jeans and jackets especially - but I have seen some nice pieces too inlcuding a gorgeous Pea Coat, a lovely leather trench (whether a leather trench could ever be a nice piece who's to say) and a fab short jacket in black with a fur collar and also a similar styled jacket but with leather arms and woollen front and back. Looked at their site and the runway stuff looks nice for A/W05 - similar in styling to Dolce & Gabbana it seems to me.

So, my question is why do some see this company as the, "spawn of satan" as one member called them? The fit is good and quality is superb - checked out one of the jackets at a local boutique (the short style with leather arms and woollen front and back) and it is superbly made: 100% wool outside 100% cotton lining Good leather and very nice fur - look at other companies with similar short jackets or just winter jackets and the materials are nowhere near as good. CP Company - saw a great bomber jacket but for £368 I don't want a polyester jacket with a polyester filling and a polyester lining - am I wrong?

So come on Supershoppers - why the hate?

T

Personally, I think they put too much logos or monograms on their clothing. The overall feel of their image also reminds me of Diesel. It also doesn't help that their stuff are expensive, and for that price I'd rather buy something else more cutting edge like Raf.

now now...there's no need for that.

I do agree w/ the previous post re: D Squared being very much like Diesel in their look..except for the fact that they cost easily 5-10x as much.

I just don't see the value/appeal in their clothing.

I will agree w/ you that they do have some nice pieces here and there...Holts had a sick pair of brown DSquared boots for a while..as well as the thick wallet chain from last season is off the hook.

Teenaged homophobe comments aside, the label does do decent stuff here and there. This season from (what I've seen of it) seems to be one of their most pared down and less over the top in awhile. That being said, past seasons have been known to be rather outlandish and a little on the flamboyant side (or Euro fashion-boy side, take your pick). However criticizing the label because it's "too gay" is somewhat retarded. By the same token you might as well disregard 90% of the couture labels out there, D&G, JPG, Dior, Cloak, Kim Jones etc. Despite whatever distaste people may have for the label D2 is almost single-handedly responsible for the whole "lumberjack look" revival (plaid jackets, fur trimmed hats/boots). Personally it's not really my taste, but whatevs.

I've also heard multiple complaints about the quality of their clothing, but I've never owned any, so I don't know for sure.

I agree that a lot of it looks like Diesel stuff except at a far higher pricepoint. Occasionally there's a couple items I'd wear, but on the whole, most of it is far too flashy and ostentatious.

Sometimes, I think a lot of what they produce is just a joke, actually.

Guest Fade to Black

I don't like DSquared because the quality of the clothing is simply atrocious, esp. with regards to the pricing...not to mention the unoriginal designs...I wouldn't compare them to Dolce & Gabbana at all, who actually put out clothing of high quality. Despite the occasional camp stuff there's still a high ratio of smartly tailored jackets and knitwear with Dolce that still manages to be subtle. The Diesel comparison was more on point...D2 is like a louder, brasher version of Diesel and A&F mix, except the prices are jacked up tenfold.

Although I admit I am proud of the twins' success, given their humble beginnings from Canada and our family's association with them back in the day.

Some of their Jeans are cool IMO. Really nice leather labels some of the best I have seen and the design is well executed, the ones with the exposed slanting front zip that is. I am unsure of the cost, probably on par with a small car. If you can objectively pull a few peices aside and look at them you wil find some pretty amazing design.

Having said that......I wouldn't buy any, haha

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

It seems to me that the Diesel D2 comparison is a little backward. I think its the other way around as far as theme goes. I recall seeing a bunch of Diesel clothes with winter-esque themes waaay after the D2 Canada line came out. Im not even going to comment on AF. Secondly I find their quality to be fine, granted it is ridiculously expensive, but Id say its on par with most other designer labels out the (e.g. D&G). Additionally, D2 goes for a somewhat destroyed look, it is intentional. I usually find that D2 has things that i both hate and love, for instance when i was in Japan (D2 is crazy popular in JPN, especially Kansai area) i dropped 190USD on a long sleeve shirt, but almost vomitted upon seeing one of the sweaters from the same collection. Overall, however, I do really like D2 mainly because the fit of the clothes is amazing....

Quote:

I don't like DSquared because the quality of the clothing is simply atrocious, esp. with regards to the pricing...not to mention the unoriginal designs...I wouldn't compare them to Dolce & Gabbana at all, who actually put out clothing of high quality. Despite the occasional camp stuff there's still a high ratio of smartly tailored jackets and knitwear with Dolce that still manages to be subtle. The Diesel comparison was more on point...D2 is like a louder, brasher version of Diesel and A&F mix, except the prices are jacked up tenfold.

Although I admit I am proud of the twins' success, given their humble beginnings from Canada and our family's association with them back in the day.

--- Original message by Fade to Black on Dec 6, 2005 11:26 AM

I would hardly say that they are unoriginal. Dsquared has been largely responsible for influencing the look of Italian fashion for the past 3-4 years. Before Hedi came along, D2 were the biggest designers in fashion. The look that brands like Diesel & Energie emulate is one that was popularized and reinvented by Dsquared in the first place. And if Diesel looks like D2 that is because Diesel is the majority shareholder in D2.

As for quality, their stuff is decent enough for what it is. Their jackets have always tended to be well made and very well designed. Particularly the more modular ones from a couple of seasons ago that could be turned into either a vest or even 2 seperate jackets. As for D&G, I would say their stuff is comparable to D2. With the exception of '05 much of their stuff was largely in the same vein.

OK. I hate to tell you, DSquared could learn something about how they are marketing their brand by the fact that they are considered "too gay"- they really have that reputation... And I am not a teenage homophobe.

Look at this stuff:

http://www.aloharag.com/highseas/assets/images/english/store/men/d2/cd2.htm

The accessories remind me of Von Dutch and leather bars.

IT GETS WACKER BY THE SECOND!

The accessories, perhaps (but then again, those leather cuffs have been 'popular' for the past couple of years) but apart from that, i fail to see what else in that Aloha Rag selection screams 'homosexual' (apart from the love thy brother shirt..and that's not really screaming)

Don't get me wrong - some of the stuff i've seen from them actually does give off that vibe, but I don't think you can make that sweeping generalisation.

They make some cool individual pieces. As in 99% of all cases, it's all in how you wear it. Unless you are head to toe in Dsquared2, accessories and all, I don't find it particularly gay looking. Factor in some really unique jackets and you have a pretty solid line overall. Their t-shirt slogans and such are really lame though.

I also don't think there's anything necessarily homophobic about avoiding one line because you think it looks too gay. I'd be lying if I said that some of their stuff didn't look homosexual in nature. There *is* a "gay" look, and if you overdo it with Dsquared2 you're going to look it. If you wear a Lacoste polo sized down with the collar all the way open (and strategically semi-popped), a necklace or two and a shaved chest, you're going to look gay. It would be like if you were head to toe in baggy Hilfiger clothing in the 90s - it's obvious you're trying to look black (rather, in-touch with black culture). Nothing wrong with admitting it.

I don't find any of the items on the page listed above ^^ as being particularly "gay looking" either. No more so than say many of the designs being put out by many other designers these days. A better example would be the jeans they put out a few years back that had letters sewn into the crotch spelling out "LUNCH", or the "Top banana" belts, etc. Though the "love thy brother" isn't too subtle either.

Edited by Circa on Dec 6, 2005 at 03:15 PM

Dsquared = Dolce & Gabbana

way, way, way too many pieces to choose from and way, way, way too overdesigned.

the pieces they do succeed with are way, way, way too expensive. (for me)

after that, then, maybe you can complain about the gayness of some of their stuff.

As a whole, I respect and like DSquared. As the previous posters have stated, the entire lumberjack/country look of DSquared predates Diesel and it is actually the reverse that Diesel is "biting" off DSquared. That being said, I recall the brothers used to work as designers for Celine and do have credible experience in the fashion industry (a good 10 years+). I like DSquared because they use very high quality materials in their clothing, the small details, and the FIT. I think this is probably the single reason their jeans and jackets are so coveted and they grew to more than just a niche luxury brand. I agree that their t-shirts and other basics and accessories tend to be flambouyant and far too expensive, but in the realm of establishing a luxury brand, the PRICE POINT is the brand or reflects the BRAND, so it doesn't strike me as shocking. In gay social circles in NYC and LA, DSquared is considered a desire brand; ala why so many people have the connotation that its a "gay" brand, but honestly the look is merely a glorified A&F style.

Edited by djrajio on Dec 7, 2005 at 12:33 AM

Wow! I can't believe I'm being criticised for using the words, "fab" and, "gorgeous"! How mad is that?! And for liking short jackets too! Hahaha! I should just clarify by short jackets that I mean ones that end at the waist or belt rather than those a matador, say, might wear! But perhaps I should have said, "pukka" rather than, "gorgeous"? Terminology aside I do see why some see this label as slightly effeminate - some of their pieces are indeed slightly OTT but just as others have said it's how you wear it and the pieces you choose. To generalise that the label is gay and so are the people that wear it is crazy - look at Dior Homme, Dolce & Gabbana, Miu Miu, Vivienne Westwood - all of these labels carry clothes that could be considered gay - although frankly I hate that term.

And finally, isn't this a forum about shopping and clothes? I don't think you could get more effeminate than that if you want to be pedantic about it...

I quite like DSquared - not all of it but the quality and fit are very good and that's ultimately what it's all about as far as I am concerned.

I'll see if I can find a pic of the pieces I am talking about.

T

nah dude. even the mannequins wearing the jeans and t shirts in the above link are posed "gayly".

thats probly got nothign to do with the label, but the clothes require the kind of hip switching that most hetero men wouldnt dare attempt. i know very little about the line but those pics coroborate any homophobia that is thrown at D2.

and saying fab is so gay its practically straight again. i bet chuck norris says fab.

Edited by NESK on Dec 7, 2005 at 04:14 AM

I have to agree that the stuff on that link is awful and the poses are a bit camp. But I maintain there is nothing wrong with saying fab in writing is ok - I wouldn't say it in conversation thinking about it but then neither would I use the word cool or super - yeah, at least I didn't say, "super"!

I am going to post a link to some decent shots - at some point, if I can bloody find them.

Super doopa

T

Edited by Tyler on Dec 7, 2005 at 07:05 AM