Any comments on these boots?

theory

I've been wanting to buy a pair of sturdy winter boots as of late and was wondering if you guys had any opinions on the style or quality of these shoes? I'm trying to decide between a pair of FRYE Mason-Zip in Tan or Dark Brown and a pair of ALDO Lumedic boots in Camel. I really like the color of the ALDO Lumedics however the Frye's aren't that bad either. I've heard that fryes are pretty well constructed but I think the aldos are a bit more stylish. However, if aldo's are real bad quality compared to frye's id rather buy the frye's as I've had too many nice looking boots that fall apart after one season. Any comments on the quality of these brands as well as fit and comfort?

87095DBN.jpg

Frye Mason-Zip in Dark Brown

87095TAN.jpg

Frye Mason-Zip in Tan

The ALDO Lumedic boots are shown on their website

http://www.aldoshoes.com/eng/storeSection/redirect.cfm?sectionID=b2c/style/productDetails.cfm&itemID=61115688&var=d&itemCategoryLevel1=124&itemCategoryLevel2=132&itemCategoryLevel3=231&

Edited by theory on Dec 2, 2005 at 01:21 AM

Frye is a very established bootmaker and are known for their quality. I have a pair I bought last year and a pair of vintage campus boots that are from the early seventies. Both are constucted like tanks with Goodyear welt construction. Fryes are easily resoleable as well. They make not look as cool when you first buy them, but like good denim, they sure look sweet after a little wear. Go for the Fryes!! Most are made in the USA as well if that makes any difference to you.

^^^

I've bought numerous pairs of aldo shoes over the past 8 years and I decided this year that I'd rather spend more on boots/shoes that'll last me longer than to buy Aldo shoes which wear out in about a year/year and a half.

That being said, those aldo boot do look nice..

My advice to you is buy something classic that will last for a while...

Meh - I wouldn't necessarily say that Aldo shoes are that uncomfortable...some ppl prefer to put an insole in for extra cushioning (i do this with all my dress shoes now) and better fit, but out of the box, they aren't bad and don't normally require breaking in.

I think Aldo shoes are similar to H&M style clothing...trendy, etc but only good for one season...throwaway shoes, if you will.

It's really up to you whether you'd prefer to buy a new (albeit updated style) pair of shoes/boots every 1-2 years, or buy a more expensive but higher quality boot that will last you a number of years.

I went down the path of the latter...I was actually looking at a pair of Frye boots at one point, but I didn't see the pairs you have posted...those are actually pretty nice.

Well I guess different people have different experiences with their shoes.

But a lot of walking tends to hurt my feet with any shoe...perhaps I got a severe case of tender foot

I have to admit Aldo designs for their boots and loafers are pretty nice for their price, and they always have rockbottom prices.

Quote:

Go with the Fryes.

Aldo are hella uncomfotable...a lot of people including me and mouko agree on that. I wore a pair of their boots once and i got sore feet from walking just 5 blocks

--- Original message by DJ_Flame on Dec 2, 2005 10:11 AM

fuck yeah stay away from Aldo. Harshest leather ever. Barely breathes, never seems to break in. Some aldo designs are nice, they just need to work on that construction.

Might be out of peoples pricepoints but Dior leather shoes/boots are the best ever.