Cheap, Skinny, Black, Suits.

Trevor

Hello, first time posting, but I’ve been lurking here for a while. I normally don’t have much to say, so I suppose this can also count as an introduction too. Anyway, I’ll get on to the point of this post.

I’ve amassed a rather large collection of clothing and other junk over the years. I’ve many different outfits and I just feel kind of overwhelmed by all of this excess. So in a fit of insanity, I’ve decided to get rid of everything distracting or that didn’t serve a purpose, and donate those things to the local shelter. This way, those less fortunate then I could enjoy what I previously have, and I could get rid of these things that overwhelm me. I guess that I have just grown tired of redundancy and the morning ritual that comes with putting together outfits, and I’ve decided to lead a life of minimalism. I only want to wear/buy/furnish my house with things that are functional, take up little space, and have a designated/ or are multi-purpose. Please don’t take this as offensive. I’m not saying that being fashionable is redundant, or that the way others dress is useless. I’m simply just saying that this is just something I don’t really want to do anymore.

So what am I doing here on a forum dedicated to fashion? It’s simple. I’m very motivated/inspired by things that are not distracting and minimalist. I’m a no frills, barebones kind of guy. I’m really fond of suits, but I don’t have a job that requires me to wear one every day. I feel good when I do wear them, and I like them, so I’ve decided that I’m going to wear skinny suits more often as everyday wear. Something similar to this one here:

slimane-2.jpg

The problem is that I’m a cheap/poor guy. I can’t afford 3 Hedi Slimane suits, so I’d need a cheaper alternative that I could wear around twice or three times a week, but won’t fall apart. My budget is around $300 give or take. I don’t live near any good places. The nearest place is H&M and Club Monaco, and that’s a 6 hour drive up and back. I would be willing to drive that far though if need be, but I’m still worried about quality. Because of distance, online places would be preferred. I was looking at Topman, Burton, and Zara and thick as thieves. Does anyone have any experience with the suit quality from any of the places I’ve mentioned? How long would they hold up if I wore the suit twice or 3 times a week? I'd really only want them to last about 5 months. Also, do you know which of these places would have the best "Slimane copy"?

Thanks for reading my long post, and for any help that you may provide.

not sure if this works in the states but it does in Canada. If you buy anything from Club monaco and tell them you are a student, (show picture ID duh) they will give you 30% off anything regular priced + sale priced.

Doesn't work in the US, I worked there over the summer.

But it does work for 15% at J Crew

how do you amass a large collection of clothes and not be able to afford 3 hedi slimane suits.

what is 'large'

Thrift store stuff, over a period of 4 years. I'm not exactly rolling in dough.
That was quite possibly the least concise post I have ever read on the internet.
Thanks.
do you work at a funeral home?

Yes.

Comme des Garçons for H&M are pretty decent, all wool, etc. Cheap as a soap too!
I really don't like anything by CDG. It all looks a bit too sloppy for me. :x
Yes, I love my Thick as Thieves suit. Get Smart recently posted that the price for a suit will start at $600, effective January I think.

Damn, then I better order soon.

Search ebay for "ISW" seriously. Do it.

If you want skinny look for the Zegna or Boss all black ones and it might not come up right away in your size - but they have new auctions ever week. Great prices, amazing quality - nothing is going to look quite as good as Hedi's slim suit just because not much is cut that aggressively and the stuff that is is very pricey because its a designer label with limited quantities. If you are really that skinny you'll have to find a quality tailor in your area who can take it in.

Seams are not sewn flat (permanent wrinkles). Lapels are basted, but the stitch is not even. My measurements were basically ignored, the inseam was 4 inches too long and the waist and seat on the jacket was far too big. There is some more stuff I can't think of off the top. I could get a more concise list from my tailor if you really wanted.