Laptops , compact . whats available?

witts

i got one of these :

31320873-2-300-overview-1.gif

dell X1

light as fuck (2.5 lbs only). i can hardly tell its even in my backpack. biggest complaint is that it gets really hot (so no, you can't use it litterally as a laptop...).

No Shirt. No Shoes. No Dice.

Learn it. Know it. Live it.

Edited by Music for the Masses on Nov 8, 2005 at 05:24 PM

I would definately go with a Vaio, but again it depends what you want to do on the computer....I usually go for memory over graphics, but that's just cause I like to store a lot of shit on there, and am not into gaming. I really appreciate a large screen, but then again, the new Toshiba line is really pretty....

00131256.jpg

The Libretto

• 2 weeks later...

For your budget I'd recommend any of the following 12" portable laptops:

Toshiba Portege A200 (or A100 2nd hand) (I've got an A100, can't really fault it once I upgraded the RAM)

Mobeus 1.7M www.go-mv.com (Won shit loads of awards, shouldn't really be possible to get so much, for such little cash - really shows what a rip-off the big brands are).

or if you have any contacts in the USA, perhaps try and get a Dell Inspiron 700m. They don't sell them in the UK, but in the states they're a bit of a bargain, much better than any of the small Dell laptops available over here.

• 3 years later...
to anyone who has a netbook,

do they support word processing? such as word

i have a toshiba right now but its 17in because i needed the 10key for my office job..

i would like to purchase a netbook for college so it will be more portable, but do they only support internet?

i think they're basically meant for word processing and browsing the internet. but the ones i've used (i have a samsung nc10) are pretty bad at streaming videos. even the low quality youtube videos can sometimes get jumpy and anything on vimeo is almost unwatchable. speed is the only complaint i have. the size, the battery life (although low cpu speed will raise battery life a lot, computer gets unusable. battery is still pretty long at full speed tho), and everything else is pretty perfect.

i've heard tablet netbooks from asus are coming out.

"Lesser performing?" Most netbooks are spec'd the same, that is 1.6ghz Atom processor (n270?).

I love my eee. It handle(d) all kinds of shit fine. Played video fine, streaming of local (divx ftw) and I was able to do photo editing with no problems. That said, I haven't been able to use it in months as I haven't sent it back in for service after it began to smoke while using it one day.

And yeah, with the advent of Windows 7 there should be a few touchscreen netbooks.

I have a Dell Mini 12, I love it but I am giving it up for something with more RAM (the mini 12 has it's RAM soldered onto the daughterboard, can't upgrade). It is however a great netbook for word processing/email/internet. I never had any trouble watching 480/DivX/Youtube videos on it either, although it isn't amazing quality, the screen is very nice. Battery is great too, with a 6cell battery I get almost 7 hours out of it before it needs a charge.

I'm running windows 7 on it and it's quite fast. My only qualm is that the chipset (GMA 500) isn't supported by many linux distros for 3D acceleration, that's also another main reason why I'm changing. But for people who don't care about linux or gaming, it's a great little netbook and very cheap (got mine for $500 on dell outlet, can find them even cheaper on ebay). Reccomended for OP's use.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad S10. I don't use it for work or anything like that, but I make it edit photos in Gimp without issues, so I think it would run Word perfectly well (I haven't really got the use for it - Google Docs works for me). No performance complaints from me.

It was less than a third of the price of my Thinkpad (<3), so even though it was not the cheapest netbook it still seemed cheap.

I wish it had a trackpoint (I dislike trackpads), but otherwise I think it's fantastic.