BAPE experts - test yourself

rakis

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"bape, goodenough, supreme, kaws, stussy, NBHD limited nike´s, is there a name for this style? "

IS there a name for this style though, i'd like to know what people call it. I guess James Lavelle has got to be the originator / leader of this style....?

Your thoughts and suggestions....

--- Original message by AshRa on Nov 1, 2005 04:00 AM

Its called `urahara kei` - `behind harajuku tribe`. Lavelle? Jap kids with street knowledge who hung out in harajuku invented this style, not james lavelle. And before someone says different, no you`re wrong - ura hara kei peaked in Japan around `94-`98. All this shit now is just the west repeating the phenomenon and imitating the imitators who took American street culture and flipped it Japanese style.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Nov 1, 2005 06:43 AM

...is that why 'circle is complete'?

Does anybody give credit for James Lavelle introducing this style to the UK or was it others?

--- Original message by AshRa on Nov 1, 2005 09:22 AM

yeah James Lavelle and Ian Brown and fashionable english kids who were card carrying members of the london-tokyo mutual appreciation society.

MILitary SPECificationS OO

Be Advised: Morgan Nixon AKA Moman631 AKA Moman6040 is a fraud.

Milspex,

Props for preaching the street knowledge. Most people in the West have no concept of the history behind these labels; I guess that's why it kills me to see BAPE gone mastige. And yes, Kimura Takuya was hugely influential to it all; the equivelent of Tom Cruise in the west. Pharrell is just another cog in the wheel. It's good to know that Japanese have expanded their options, except for the luxury european brand whoring...

Quote:

Surely Ian Brown only got invloved in the late 90s / early 2000s when Nigo realised he was the perfect fusion of man and ape to model for him? Or has he been on it from the start...?

--- Original message by AshRa on Nov 2, 2005 04:43 AM

Ian Brown is playing a few dates in Australia in January........man I am savin' hard out. Me pal with the love spreads tat on his back wants to go to the Sydney gig, drive to Melbourne for that gig and then any others that are going down.......you could say he's a fan

King Monkey

http://photobucket.com/albums/y278/andewhall/

Quote:
Quote: "A Bathing Ape Camo jacket

As worn by N.E.R.D, Snoop,Ian Brown etc"

Quote:

ian brown in bape????????

--- Original message by witts on Oct 30, 2005 03:33 PM

Thought Ian Brown was pretty much one of the reasons bape was/is huge in the UK?

Edited by anonymouse on Nov 3, 2005 at 04:59 AM

Quite interesting discussion, really... People often like to wear brands because they want to show who they are, what they are, and what kind of people they would like to compare themselves to, or what kind of people they don't wish to be like. This is basic profiling of product adopters - going from innovators who are very self-conscious and want to distinguish themselves from the common herd, to early adopters who often are leaders in social settings, to the early majority who are deliberate and have many informal contacts, to the late majority, and to laggards who are driven by fear and adopt fashion not because they want to stand out, but because they are afraid of standing out.

Bape isn't superexclusive, but it's by no means a large brand neither. I think people that wear bape/bapy/apee generally have a well above normal interest for clothing, and I think a lot of the bape stuff is well designed, good quality and quite original. For some consumers this is not enough. Often it seems like some consumers wear brands, and stop wearing brands, mostly because they want to disassociate themselves from the early majority of consumers - and thereby be in a position where they can knock on people who catched interest of a brand later than they did. It must be quite draining...to have such cool and fresh stuff that you can hardly walk on your feet, and then you have to throw it away as soon as somebody else starts wearing it. =)

And when it comes to the joshikosei in Tokyo and their boyfriends, it seems they are all driven by a constant need to reinvent trends (atarashi zuki?), so saying that something is not "in" at the moment in uraharajuku, daikanyama, shibuya or ebisu doesn't really say all that much. The more creative youth cultures in Tokyo are perhaps the least brand loyal consumers in the entire world - at least when it comes to newer brands. However, many of them look to japanese celebrities for inspiration, and many of the japanese pop idols look to western celebrities so....it all goes round in circle, I suppose.

æLÆn

If there aren't any dumb questions, does stupid people get smart just in time to ask a question?

Quote:

Quite interesting discussion, really... People often like to wear brands because they want to show who they are, what they are, and what kind of people they would like to compare themselves to, or what kind of people they don't wish to be like. This is basic profiling of product adopters - going from innovators who are very self-conscious and want to distinguish themselves from the common herd, to early adopters who often are leaders in social settings, to the early majority who are deliberate and have many informal contacts, to the late majority, and to laggards who are driven by fear and adopt fashion not because they want to stand out, but because they are afraid of standing out.

Bape isn't superexclusive, but it's by no means a large brand neither. I think people that wear bape/bapy/apee generally have a well above normal interest for clothing, and I think a lot of the bape stuff is well designed, good quality and quite original. For some consumers this is not enough. Often it seems like some consumers wear brands, and stop wearing brands, mostly because they want to disassociate themselves from the early majority of consumers - and thereby be in a position where they can knock on people who catched interest of a brand later than they did. It must be quite draining...to have such cool and fresh stuff that you can hardly walk on your feet, and then you have to throw it away as soon as somebody else starts wearing it. =)

And when it comes to the joshikosei in Tokyo and their boyfriends, it seems they are all driven by a constant need to reinvent trends (atarashi zuki?), so saying that something is not "in" at the moment in uraharajuku, daikanyama, shibuya or ebisu doesn't really say all that much. The more creative youth cultures in Tokyo are perhaps the least brand loyal consumers in the entire world - at least when it comes to newer brands. However, many of them look to japanese celebrities for inspiration, and many of the japanese pop idols look to western celebrities so....it all goes round in circle, I suppose.

æLÆn

--- Original message by The Norwegian Vote on Nov 3, 2005 11:24 AM

whats `apee`? shut the fuck up. you dont know shit.

Quote:

æLÆn

i had all that in a lecture @ uni last week... where would you place yourself on the list.... id say im an early adopter

@MilSpex: Apee and Bapy are the women's lines, launched in august. Apee are mostly men's styles in women sizes, and bapy are more feminine styles. Apee and Bapy are only available in japan for fw05.

@witts: I would think that most people here are early adopters. There might be innovators here as well, but my feeling is that people on this board are into brands, and innovators are rarely interested in newer brands unless it's their own.

If there aren't any dumb questions, does stupid people get smart just in time to ask a question?

Milspex, Norwegian boy is right. Apee is a new female line from BAPE for fall 2005. And *gasp* there will be ApeeXKaws collabs. IMHO, bape is really boring and passe now. In general the entire Harajuku look seems to be losing influence. And no I have never owned any Bape clothing. I've been more facinated with his business model than anything else. The only reason Nigo opened stores in SoHo and Taipei, etc., was because his gross revenue point in his homeland has been steadily declining for the last couple years.

Quote:

Milspex, Norwegian boy is right. Apee is a new female line from BAPE for fall 2005. And *gasp* there will be ApeeXKaws collabs. IMHO, bape is really boring and passe now. In general the entire Harajuku look seems to be losing influence. And no I have never owned any Bape clothing. I've been more facinated with his business model than anything else. The only reason Nigo opened stores in SoHo and Taipei, etc., was because his gross revenue point in his homeland has been steadily declining for the last couple years.

--- Original message by djrajio on Nov 4, 2005 03:41 AM

I think the ApeeXKaws collabo is out already. There were some pictures in the september issue of Mini, I think. But I might be wrong.

The business model is indeed very fascinating. I mean, most of modern luxury brands, whether it's jeans brands or street fashion, are mostly based on hype. Hype is maybe the most important factor to have success with a brand nowadays - apart from having a decent line of products - and A Bathing Ape are amongst the best when it comes to hype, and to maintain interest and renew interest by doing sought after collaborations and hyping these collabos at the right places. It's a fine balance; to keep widening your consumer group while at the same time not alienating the consumers you already have.

æLÆn

Quote:

--- Original message by djrajio on Nov 4, 2005 03:41 AM

sorry my bad. guess Im too old school - not up with the latest from nigo and crew - wonder if hes evolving Bapy into Apee or its a separate project...actually dont tell me I dont give a shit.

Quote:
Quote:

æLÆn

whats `apee`? shut the fuck up. you dont know shit.

--- Original message by MilSpex on Nov 3, 2005 04:37 PM

Quote-"whats `apee`? shut the fuck up. you dont know shit"

Is this the sound of not giving a shit? You just got owned.icon_smile_shock.gif

• 1 month later...

Dumbest. Statement. Ever.

Though, if someone could justify to me why I should pay a shitload of money for a white tee printed with a fucking baby monkey w/ X's over its eyes, I'd love to hear it.

jeez.

The whole ape head thing was initially cool, with its integration into the camo and all that, but a baby monkey?

It's a BABY MONKEY, people.