• The Beatles (John and Paul)
    • The Stones (Mick and Keith)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

beatles. then kinks. then stones

also. fuck paul. john and george

edit: i take that back. paul is a great musician/singer, but i still like the creativity of john and george better. Paul was fun live when i saw him and he played 80% beatles songs

the kinks are something serious though

Then again, the beatles did the early 60s cover rock pop really well. They didn't write their early songs, but i still find myself listening to early beatles more than later these days.

Then again, i listen to kinks albums more than either lately.

Seriously. When it comes to rock organ stuff: The Zombies >>>>>>>> The doors

i love both but to me the beatles were more creative and diverse and talented songwriters. rolling stones were just a great blues inspired rock band. it doesn't help that they haven't released anything worth a shit in 30 years but still tour constantly like a bloated dinosaur stale cartoon mockery of themselves...

still love 'em though

and the who is greatness. people who are really into rock music can dig how great they are. casual observers can get annoyed by the same 5 songs the constantly spin on classic rock stations.

I also like how the beatles are dying in order of greatness. I think ringo will live on forever (5)

it is not a fair comparison

the beatles output is this big (__ ) and the stones output is this big (__________) and growing

i kind of played out the beatles and find myself reaching for obscure boots or solo material when i get the jones

the stones catalog is so vast that after more than a decade of exploring i still haven't got them sorted

the stones were so much better. they had a much more progressive sound which transcended popular culture (unlike the beatles)... they incorporated other genres like blues, soul, etc, into their sound. they were also technically much better musicians than the beatles were. I don't hate on the beatles at all but I wouldn't say they were actually better than the stones, just more hyped.

^^ I myself am a massive Zepplin fan. I've got When The Levee Breaks stuck in my head for the last week and I feel like I'm in a Steven Segal movie everywhere I go.

This is really a tough choice. The Rolling Stones sing some of my favorite songs of all time (sympathy for the devil, gimmie shelter, shine a light) but The Beatles have my favorite album of all time (Sgt. Pepper)

I'm gonna have to vote for The Beatles simply because they have such a wide variety of different sounding songs compared to the Stones.

Mick Jagger is a bad motherfucker though

How do you base that last paragraph, inaya? The stones weren't hyped? The beatles didn't have diverse sounding songs or influences? Technically good musicians means nothing really even though paul was a really talented musician. I'm more impressed by the creativity of the beatles even though i love the blues/country/soul influences that the stones worked really well into their music. I don't even listen to the beatles that much anymore, but it usually comes in phases where i'll listen to them for a week or two non-stop and then not at all for a good while.

Another thing to consider is that, forty years later, people are still trying to do what George Martin did in the studio. Authentic Beatles-era recording equipment goes for a premium.

Also, a few solo Beatles works are bona fide masterpieces. Nothing worth shit from solo Stones.