How to get drawings printed onto t-shirts?

CactusArmy

I know of those iron on transfers and they suck like hell. I don't like the kinda crap used in photo shops too like where they transfer photos onto shirts. Those prints don't seem so high quality.

slash7gv.jpg

Is the only other way to get a drawing like this one onto a shirt to trace it on illustrator and get it screen printed on? Anyone have any good suggestions? I'm completely lost on this thing.

You do NOT need to trace in Illustrator.

Since it is a one color job, print it out onto

Vellum at actual size and bring to a screen printer

and tell them to print using a 257 mesh count screen.

If you need a printer, shoot me an e-mail and I'll help you out.

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

Maybe I'm viewing the image wrong but I think in order to get what you are looking for you may need to do this as a two color print. The light gray area's may be able to be done using half tones, but the way I'm seeing the image it looks like two different colors. I would probably suggest using water based inks as well....I don't think plastisol with give you the organic/splashed look this image seems to present.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

people always tell peeps to print onto transparency for screening, but its not really needed...

print onto normal paper, then photocopy it.. then coat the photocopy in oil to make the white transparent.. now burn your screen.. to be honest, printed onto acitates fucks up all the time, and isnt worth the hassle imo.

Quote:

How do I burn the image onto the screen?

--- Original message by CactusArmy on Oct 31, 2005 11:39 PM

ask thomas highstreet, he seems to be the MacGyver of screen printing!

Can I ask you something? These sunglasses: they're really nice. Are they like government issue, or do you guys all go to the same store together?

You burn an image onto a screen using UV light. Most screen printers have an exposure light to properly expose their screens. You can use regular sunlight to do it....but it is a less than precise way to do so. The screen needs to be coated with emultion and should be completely dry before exposing. If you have the right screen mesh, proper emulsion, a decent positive (the cooking oil and paper thing might work, but certainly isn't the BEST way), and a fairly sunny day....you could end up with a usable screen. I would suggest going to a screen printer and having them burn a screen for you. You could then use that screen as often as you needed too....until it needed to be redone.

Conceived and executed on the working waterfront of Portland, Maine. [email protected]

BRAVO! JAY!

Trying to make a science project out of printing a tee shirt is not the way to go unless your aspiring to become a screen printer. As a designer, leave the screening to the printers, check and re-check for quality. Require a strike-off before they print the whole run. Be there, in the factory, as the first strike-off comes thru the dryer.

Make adjustments right then and there. Learn and see how the process works to make sure you get a better product, just don't do it yourself.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

i didnt read the full question asked.. but if your hand drawing just draw what your trying to get on a TEE or whatever on a piece of tracing paper with a opaque paint pen.. and then burn that image into your screeen.. youll be money.. print your heart away

Have not tried it RISO prints personally, but check out...

http://www.juliewest.com/

(note: she does a lot of gocco prints, but on her 'shop' link, she has some examples of small RISO prints- the owl/boy/and girl)

I have some prints of hers and the quality is quite nice. Limited size though, 5x8 or something. Designed for mostly printing cards. The nice thing is that the kit includes everything you need, although not recommended for printing on fabric.

• 4 weeks later...

this doesn't help in this case, but if you want to draw something you can paint it directly on the screen with drawing fluid then flood the screen with filler. It's a pretty easy way to make a screen and you don't have to mess with photo emulsion or transparencies.

• 3 weeks later...