Vintage T-Shirts (NYC) Search & Destroy?

I'm looking for a NYC store that carries a large selection of vintage t-shirts. I found something on google about Search & Destroy (25 St. Marks Pl.) being rated the best place to find vintage t-shirts by the Village Voice (In 2001 though). I was wondering if it is still around, and if so does anyone have anything to say about it?

I would prefer a store where basic t-shirts (as in ones that are not highly sought after and expensive) are around $25 and under (or at least not $80+ like they are at Jeffrey).

I also kind of want Izod Lacoste (vintage, label discontinued in 1993) polos, but if they cost $80 like they do at Jeffrey I think I will have to pass.

In short:

Vintage T-shirts? Where in NYC?

Edited by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 at 03:33 PM

Beacon's Closet has 2 locations both in Brooklyn... which is better or what is the difference between the two?

220 Fifth Avenue, Park Slope, Brooklyn (718-230-1630)

and

88 North 11th Street, Williamsburg, Brooklyn (718-486-0816)

Edit: I will call tomorrow and ask what the difference between the two locations is, but I think I can get better answers from you guys.

Edited by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 at 04:26 PM

Bumba Clot,

I wish I did...

Is it a high end vintage store with lots of stuff like that, or do they just happen to have a few of thouse amounst very cheaply priced vintage items?

I will swing by if I can, but there are so many vintage t-shirts and only so many hours in a day...

Edited by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 at 04:31 PM

Yes, I have. I would go there but right now I'm more interested in normal vintage stuff (obscure brands, things printed on Hanes 50/50 shirts, ect...) than vintage or second hand high end items.

I like the idea of being able to find a store carying a massive selection of shirts that are unique, look like you have had them forever, fit well, and are dirt cheap. I don't have that much money so I need to inflate my wardrobe where I can. Looking different every day is important to me. I don't like it when people recognize your clothes because you wear them so often.

Edited by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 at 04:48 PM

That's right by Search & Destroy! Wow all these stores are so close together (Screaming Mimi's is nearby as well, does anyone having anything to say about that?).

I am thinking of skipping Beacon's Closet and Domsey's in Brooklyn... It just seems like a waste of time to move my ass all the way over there when there are 4 cheap vintage stores within walking distance of each other in Manhatten.

Will I miss out on at lot if I don't go to Beacon's Closet and Domsey's or will my lust for vintage be satisfied at the 2 unnamed stores mentioned in this thread, Search & Destroy, and Screaming Mimi's?

Edited by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 at 08:09 PM

The Williamsburg Beacons is the larger of the two and the better of the two.

Domsey's is also in Williamsburg but in east williamsburg. they recently moved to somewhere down Marcy i think. They used to be a 3 or 4 floor used clothing warehouse. That isn't the case anymore and now they are just one very large storefront.

there is also a newer vintage store on Hope st. in williamsburg off of havermeyer. It is in the basement of a building. it is decent sized

Since those too stores you mention are close, I think I can fit them both in (along with the 4 Manhatten ones).

I'm not really familiar with Brooklyn (I can understand how to get there though). Am I correct to assume that it is safe to walk to those to stores from the L stop at Bedford Ave on a Sunday morning?

Nevermind, what the hell am I thinking... 6 Vintage stores (2 of which are in Brooklyn) in one day? I would feel rushed planning that many stores (each of which have very large selections.

I am going to stick to the 4 Vintage stores in Manhatten (S&D, Screaming Mimi's, and the two unnamed but highly recomended ones). If I have extra time I might stop by APC and Marc Jacobs (to take a look at their gigantic fut hats) since they are right next store to each other and not that far from Screaming Mimi's.

Comments on my planned shopping trip?

Quote:

Nevermind, what the hell am I thinking... 6 Vintage stores (2 of which are in Brooklyn) in one day? I would feel rushed planning that many stores (each of which have very large selections.

I am going to stick to the 4 Vintage stores in Manhatten (S&D, Screaming Mimi's, and the two unnamed but highly recomended ones). If I have extra time I might stop by APC and Marc Jacobs (to take a look at their gigantic fut hats) since they are right next store to each other and not that far from Screaming Mimi's.

Comments on my planned shopping trip?

--- Original message by 134 on Oct 19, 2005 08:43 PM

there's a handful of other vintage-y stores on st. marks, on the same block as search & destroy. i like andy's cheepees, for one..

Where is the new Domsey exactly located? The one in Hope St has another store on Bedford Avenue and if I'm not mistaken they also own one in the East Vill called Village Style (7th st bet 1st ave and Ave A). You should be good with these stores, so cheap. I just bought all my Halloween needs there. Search and Destroy goes beyond the usual vintage lots, they have more unique stuff, hence why it's expensive. One of my favorite is every weekend I check the Flea Market at Ave A and 11st. There's this Japanese owned stall that sells really good selection of vintage clothes.

Quote:

if you get hungry you should try Taisho on St. marks..a couple of stores away from Seek and Destroy.....it has good Japanese eats

--- Original message by dunkin deeznuts on Oct 20, 2005 09:07 AM

kenka is better, well for the drink prices!

its literally next door.

im there every week drunk icon_smile_clown.gif

Edited by 1M on Oct 20, 2005 at 04:14 PM