Unknown Designer - Jay Allen - Comments Welcome

Jay Allen

I'm an unknown designer based in Portland, Maine. I've spent the last year learning how to dye, screen print, and do graphic design. I have approx. 20 designs that I am going to produce for the boutique market (hopefully). All of my shirts are dyed with reactive dyes and printed with either discharge or waterbased inks, or a combination of both. This allows me to produce a shirt with no "hand".

I haven't had any formal fashion, art, or screen printing training. Had to learn everything the hard way. All comments are welcome. If you are interested in seeing more designs...just let me know. Thanks

Sky1.JPG

Sky2.JPG

Poser1.JPG

Poser2.JPG

Medusa1.JPG

Medusa2.JPG

The first shirt "The Sky Is Falling" was done on an American Apparel 2001. The other two shirts were done on vintage shirts from the 70's/80's. I had approx 20,000 of them at one point from a big deadstock buy I made in St. Louis. I'm in the process of standardizing the blank shirts I use because I can't get decent sizing from the vintage shirts (too damn small). I've decided to use a 4.3 OZ cotton shirt from Alstyle apparel. It is silky smooth and not too tightly cut. I looked at Alternative Apparel, American Apparel, etc. I liked the shirt from Alstyle better. As I go forward with the line I hope to design/produce my own blank. At this point it just isn't possible to do that.

Quote:

The first shirt "The Sky Is Falling" was done on an American Apparel 2001. The other two shirts were done on vintage shirts from the 70's/80's. I had approx 20,000 of them at one point from a big deadstock buy I made in St. Louis. I'm in the process of standardizing the blank shirts I use because I can't get decent sizing from the vintage shirts (too damn small). I've decided to use a 4.3 OZ cotton shirt from Alstyle apparel. It is silky smooth and not too tightly cut. I looked at Alternative Apparel, American Apparel, etc. I liked the shirt from Alstyle better. As I go forward with the line I hope to design/produce my own blank. At this point it just isn't possible to do that.

--- Original message by Jay Allen on Oct 17, 2005 01:18 PM

I like the last shirt too. I've seen your shirts at another forum.

Man 20,000 vintage shirts a crazy amount.

www.youngestincharge.com

www.opticalweapons.com

Yes....I posted to styleforum last week. I just found these two sites and it has been great from a feedback perspective. I've been working in a vacuum for so long it is good to get HONEST feedback....good or bad.

In my past life I was heavily involved in the vintage business. I was sort of the guru here in Maine for vintage Levi, Nike, Military, etc. I actually did some consulting work for Levi Europe for a while. Flew back and forth with high end vintage pieces for their stores in London, Berlin, etc. I've always been a deadstocker and found an old fleamarket guy in St. Louis that had a gazillion old T's and 30,000 vintage transfers. I bought everything and spent many nights putting Saturday Night Fever, Mork,Old Rock and Roll, etc transfers on old t-shirts (i don't miss that) and shipping them to Japan. I'm just about out of transfers, after 4 years, and have very few vintage t-shirts left.

I decided to learn how to screen print and do my own thing. This is some of the result.