supermeatheads

kunk75

sounds like you might be leaning forward when your going down. remember you wanna move the bar in a straight line up and down. Furthermore i assume you should have good hip mobility from the running.

I suggest you start out trying some lightweight ATG Olympic squats. Burn in your hamstrings and glutes more in the bottom and great for growth. Activates your CNS more and greats like Arnold used to do these exclusively.

It's normal to feel the strain in your quads and a little in your hams. the goal is to keep your shins straight up and down while having your back at about 75 degrees or so when you're parallel. you'll have a negative arch in your lower back to keep stability.

The way you describe being unbalanced right now, I suspect that you aren't leaning forward enough. think of how a linebacker is in position before the snap. he's not perfectly parallel, but he's in that power position, leaning fwd but stable. try to shoot for that.

he says that he feels more of the strain on his quads and you're telling him that he isn't "leaning forward enough"?

dude, sensible and leeacto, youtube rippetoe and squats.

you want a lot of the tension on your hams and glutes

start you guys with this:

sounds like you might be leaning forward when your going down. remember you wanna move the bar in a straight line up and down. Furthermore i assume you should have good hip mobility from the running.

I suggest you start out trying some lightweight ATG Olympic squats. Burn in your hamstrings and glutes more in the bottom and great for growth. Activates your CNS more and greats like Arnold used to do these exclusively.

I agree with all of this except the whole olympic squats deal. I have nothing at all against them. I just think people should have a squat set-up that they're most comfortable with. less chance of injury if they implement the set-up that works best with their biomechanics.

nevertheless, that is very good advice.

Ok well ill start to cut it down. maybe just twice a week. what cardio do you do on the days between weights? only hiit?

just did my first set of deadlifts fuuuuuu. I didnt realise how full body intensive it was until now. I can definitely see how people can hurt themselves doing it though, gotta keep that back straight

question...When im doing squats, i feel most of the strain in my quads, is this right? also how important is pushing up on the heels, i feel like im using the front part of my heel and if i pushed up on the ball id fall back....

try recording a video so we can analyze your form.

I may replace a couple of the runs with a HIIT circuit (row machine, stationary bike) but right now, chucking on the sneakers and the ipod and smashing a few km seems alot easier

this has worked out for me immensely. i was running a little over 20 miles a week and seeing very little muscle development so i replaced my long distance routine with HIIT 2x a week and so far have felt stronger and seen better gains in muscle definition. if you're trying exclusively to burn fat, HIIT is much more efficient and takes much less time than going on an hour or longer run.

p.s. i run on a track, sprinting the straight-aways (~100m) and jogging the curves for about 8 laps or so.

this has worked out for me immensely. i was running a little over 20 miles a week and seeing very little muscle development so i replaced my long distance routine with HIIT 2x a week and so far have felt stronger and seen better gains in muscle definition. if you're trying exclusively to burn fat, HIIT is much more efficient and takes much less time than going on an hour or longer run.

p.s. i run on a track, sprinting the straight-aways (~100m) and jogging the curves for about 8 laps or so.

food for thought. I plan on hiit-ing on the bike for sure, I always feel bugger after <20mins on it so i reckon it'll do the job

anyone got any low-cal chicken breast recipes?

last night i just rubbed the breast with garlic and chili. was actually tasty as

he says that he feels more of the strain on his quads and you're telling him that he isn't "leaning forward enough"?

dude, sensible and leeacto, youtube rippetoe and squats.

you want a lot of the tension on your hams and glutes

start you guys with this:

Thanks Chariy, that's a pretty good video. I've seen some Rippetoe stuff on CF before, but this one's pretty helpful.

no problem man. you'll probably add 30+ pounds to your squat the first time you implement his advice into your squat form

I actually watched these videos a couple weeks ago and have added 25lbs to my squat in the two workouts since. I wasn't utilizing the hip dive. I used to absolutely hate it but now I look forward to it. Hurts so good.

confused. people tell me differently every time, so how much protein should I be getting post workout? some say your body can only process 30g in one sitting, etc.

whats the truth?

well "some" people are idiots.

anywhere from 30-60 is fine depending on how heavy you are.

I'd be more focused on getting in the proper amount of protein per day than to worry if you're getting the right amount of it in 15 after your workout.

So true..

but the whole 30g in one sitting is a myth. The original article that supported this theory cited a study that 30g of protein takes around 2-3 hours to take in fully. The author proceeded to suggest taking in protein every 3 hours because of this very reason. However many people misinterpreted this article and said that 30g is the most you can take (i dont know how). However how much protein you can take is depends person to person but also the source and taking more than 30g will just take more time to fully absorb in.

exactly!!!

heck, I take in 150+ grams of protein in one sitting most days.

and then 100+ grams about 3 hours after that. :D

Oh Ja! when i have classes back to back i just eat a big meal before and a loaded protien shake and snack during class.

I havent done clean and jerk in a long time, ive only been doing snatch lately finally hit a lean 200 lbs solid solid 200 bw

on monday i started adding poundage to my clean after just starting to learn and practicing the technique over the past few weeks. i got up to 195 for a single. pretty confident i can get at least 225 with some more work on my form though.

nice job. what are you weighing in at?