My first pair of Levi STF 501! Need Advice!!!

bosco2025

Hey, i just bought my first pair of STF 501s at the Levi store in Soho, and i was wondering if anyone can give me advice on shrinking them cuz they are huge. Just to let yall know, im a newbie at this whole denim thing and i wanted to start off with sum cheap denim like stf 501s. by the way, im usually a 32/30, but i got a 33/33. any help is appreciated, thanks...

if you're willing to make the time and effort, fill your bathtub with warm water, then wear the jeans and sit in the tub for about 30-45 minutes. leave the jeans on and let it dry naturally.

if you want small shrinkage, fill the tub with cold, then soak the jeans in for about 2-3 hrs. hang dry.

if you want moderate shrinkage, fill the tub with warm water, soak for 2-3 hrs, hang dry.

if you want maximum shrinkage, fill the tub with hot water, soak for 3-4 hrs, dry inside out with high heat in the machine.

forgot to say, don't wring the jeans of excess water. if you must, then fold the jeans in half vertically, then roll it from the bottom to the top tightly to remove some water.

"God is Dead" - Nietzsche icon_smile_angry.gif

"Nietzsche is Dead" - God icon_smile_cool.gif

Edited by darknworn on Oct 5, 2005 at 08:24 PM

The newer STFs lose a lot of their color after a wash. I would recommend (if you must shrink them) to do the soak in cold water with a hang dry. this will lose the least amount of color. The jeans won't be too stiff any more so if you want the stiff rigid feel I would recommend buying some clothing starch and spraying the jeans with it.

they're called shrink-to-fit for a reason. i generally do a first wash with all my raw jeans to get them to shrink before i wear. you WILL be able to get nice wear marks if you adhear to the no-wash-for-months rule.

it is NOT true that you lose substantial amount of indigo for the 501stf, you will lose some...but not very noticeable. i've gone through two pairs this way, both are still fairly dark. in the long run, this first wash won't be very significant. it is more important to me to get a nice fit first, so all the wear marks will not "run" after you wash them for the first time in 6 months to a year. plus i hate to have to cuff my jeans and then later seeing them turn into a ring because of shrinkage.

if you want the rigid feel, you can always starch them.

with this said, you can buy your exact size and wear them forever without washing, just dry cleaning. this way you will NEVER have any decent wear marks, and overall it defeats the purpose of buying a pair of jeans. it is a pair of jeans, live in it. don't treat it so gently.

Quote: I think your taking a bit of a risk buying STF jeans in your exect size. I wouldn't fancy getting caught in some really heavy rain and my jeans shrinking!

wth are you talking about. STFs are freaking huge even when you buy them true to size. I had to soak mine even after I bought them true to size for them to actually fit correctly. You should only listen to the sizing instructions on the tag and stuff if you plan on washing them beforehand.

Quote:

I've still yet to see a picture of really worn STF's.

--- Original message by eastcoastrider27 on Oct 6, 2005 05:51 PM

i'd take one but i don't have a digital camera with me. maybe i'll borrow from a friend this weekend and post a pic.

Handlethevibe is right. STF's are oversized anyway. buy your size. If your nervous, buy it a size up in length (as they shrink more in length than waist).

I have had fine experience with STF's wearing them raw (true to size) and after a few months of no washing and good wear taking a soak in them and wearing them till try. gives you a nice, slightly customized fit, and keeps them from shrinking too much.

also, what's the worst thing that can happen? They cost 30 bucks.