Neighborhood - What the???

rakis

Apologies if this has been raised before but what exactly is the attraction of Neighborhood? I can appreciate the work of some labels like Undercover (price aside and on a purely aesthetic/artistic level) but the designs of Neighborhood truly astound me given te price tags. Can someone enlighten me?

I also read that they have released selvedge jeans recently? Any views on quality of these in comparison to Edwins, APC, Nudie RR or Uniqlo for that matter?

the tee they use are really good imo... better than most labels out there, design-wise, umm, hit or miss for me.

thay have been using selvage denim for a while. all of their savage jeans and the recent normal washed ones are selvage, but there's no dry denim yet. again, it's hit or miss, some (if not most) of the washes are a little overdone to say the least

The tees and printing techniques they use are amazing and they have some dope designs (some total shit too admittedly) with nice detailing. I have one shirt that's been worn, washed and dried on an almost weekly basis over the last 18 months but still looks as good as it did on the day I got it. No fading or stretching of the material and no cracking of the print. Dunno if that makes them worth the ~$70 you end up paying in NY, but there you go...

Come to think of it though, I only actually like their tees. Everything else I've seen by Neighborhood has been either kind of meh or totally fucking stupid looking.

Quote:

And... what is up with those t-shirts that says "Mexico City" on? That's just crap...

--- Original message by baizilla on Sep 21, 2005 10:27 AM

It's a parody to the New York City shirt worn by John Lenon. My friends found it funny.

Yep. The New York City version was re-interpreted by Undercover couple seasons ago and were even Comme des Garcons did a rework of it. The shirt style was very popular in Japan couple seasons back.

What is Neighborhood?

Neighborhood was started by designer Takisawa Shinsuke in 1994 during the boom of similar Uraharajuku brands like A Bathing Ape. The line was originally a biker influenced line with an emphasis on using black/dark colors and a back-to-basics design. Now Neighborhood tends to be more work and military oriented. The brand's popularity was largely the result of teenage boys in the area drawn to the brand's dark/black hats, denim, and t-shirts. Neighborhood is also famous because it was one of the first brands to do colloborations with various other Japanese brands including A Bathing Ape (called brotherhood), Head Porter, and various graphic artists. It's famous flagship shop in Harajuku is also famous because it was one of the first shops to take the "studio" interpretation of retail spaces for street wear; retail spaces as art and the limited edition concept. The shop was painted entirely black, was very minimalistic, and carried very few items. This "retail concept" which now seems like a mainstay in street-fashion stores like A Bathing Ape was originally started by Neighborhood and the like.

Edited by djrajio on Sep 21, 2005 at 01:03 PM

Thanks for the insight and it is much appreciated.

However, the tee shirt designs (as an obvious illustration) so seriously lead one to question the artistic intent behind them.

Again, perhaps it is an inability to penetrate the Japanese streetculture mindset and perception but paying serious money for something so uninspiring merely leads to long arguments about motives in art etc.

At the end of the day, the designs do not move me personally. I appreciate what Undercover do with their T-shirts but I am unable to appreciate the Neighborhood approach/slant to fashion. I respect what they have accomplished but I am too cynical to spend that type of money just because it is a Neighborhood tee.

And you shouldn't. I'm not trying to endorse this brand nor any other brand. I'm merely explaining what Neighborhood is for all those lemmings out there you find it incredible. Frankly, I'm not a particular fan with the majority of Japanese "street wear" brands. What really bugs me is that a lot of foreigners take to thinking a given Japanese brand is cool and buy it merely because the Japanese consider it popular. I see this all the time with a lot of Taiwanese, Cantonese, and American-Asian folks, but its not exclusive to these races. IMO Neighborhood isn't exciting and is merely living off its legacy as the progressive brand it once was. Same with BAPE. There are so many newer, more interesting Japanese labels out now that are light-years ahead of the entire t-shirt/jean concept and which I believe street wear should be moving away from. While Undercover tends to be more high-luxury casual, even this label doesn't strike me as innovative at all. Cheers.

It totally depends on the design. The 'Mexico City' one mentioned above is nothing special (as is the case with most any tee that has little else but jokey text or the brand's logo)...which is fine if you're buying it in Tokyo, but not really worth the money if you're picking it up online or as an import in New York or London. With the markup you end up paying outside of Japan for any Japanese streetwear tees you want something with a design or graphic (or an actual cut&sewn piece) that's going to make it worthwhile. Fuck getting shit just because it's Neighborhood (or W)taps or Undercover(ism) or Bape or whatever).

Quote: There are so many newer, more interesting Japanese labels out now that are light-years ahead of the entire t-shirt/jean concept

Who do you rate then? I think part of the reason for the seemingly disproportionate focus in the west on Japanese streetwear labels like Bape, Neighborhood, etc is that the more obscure shit simply isn't available outside of Japan...another factor is that there are very few comparable US and Euro streetwear labels that produce garments of as high quality as their Japanese counterparts. (Tees especially. Why do we have to put up with so much shit printed on American Apparel?)

Quote:

And you shouldn't. I'm not trying to endorse this brand nor any other brand. I'm merely explaining what Neighborhood is for all those lemmings out there you find it incredible. Frankly, I'm not a particular fan with the majority of Japanese "street wear" brands. What really bugs me is that a lot of foreigners take to thinking a given Japanese brand is cool and buy it merely because the Japanese consider it popular. I see this all the time with a lot of Taiwanese, Cantonese, and American-Asian folks, but its not exclusive to these races. IMO Neighborhood isn't exciting and is merely living off its legacy as the progressive brand it once was. Same with BAPE. There are so many newer, more interesting Japanese labels out now that are light-years ahead of the entire t-shirt/jean concept and which I believe street wear should be moving away from. While Undercover tends to be more high-luxury casual, even this label doesn't strike me as innovative at all. Cheers.

--- Original message by djrajio on Sep 21, 2005 01:56 PM

There are so many newer, more interesting Japanese labels out now that are light-years ahead of the entire t-shirt/jean concept and which I believe street wear should be moving away from.

For example?

I hear what you're saying. Some of the graphics are good, but most of the brand's style is some punk biker style that I could never pull off. I'd wear one of their logo tees if the graphic looked good, but I'm not going out of my way (or price range) to track one down.

Quote: There are so many newer, more interesting Japanese labels out now that are light-years ahead of the entire t-shirt/jean concept and which I believe street wear should be moving away from.

I don't know about lightyears ahead. The last big wave included the Undercover look, right? That semi-gothic punk style? I'm just trying to generalize, but I think you know what I mean. Trends come and go. More power to whoever can pull it off. But I'm perfectly fine with the majority of the labels sticking to tees, shirts, jackets and jeans.

I personally respect alot of the pieces japanses street brands put out, but there is some labels that is too overrated, i.e Neighborhood and Bounty Hunter... The last one, is of course their clothing, because the toys are great.... How is it that Bounty Hunter clothing is so popular? It seems to me that they are just recycling their logo over and over again... nothing new...

img10381750552.jpeg

how is that a dope piece?! icon_smile_dissapprove.gif

Don't try so hard...

Quote:

I personally respect alot of the pieces japanses street brands put out, but there is some labels that is too overrated, i.e Neighborhood and Bounty Hunter... The last one, is of course their clothing, because the toys are great.... How is it that Bounty Hunter clothing is so popular? It seems to me that they are just recycling their logo over and over again... nothing new...

img10381750552.jpeg

--- Original message by baizilla on Sep 22, 2005 07:28 AM

haha that's a great flip actually.

Have you guys heard of N.Hollywood? I've seen their stuff, more on the Undercover high fashion category but more toned down. I do like some of the boots they have for Fall. Is this label exclusive to Japan only? I can't find any info or pictures on the net.

Quote:

img10381750552.jpeg

--- Original message by baizilla on Sep 22, 2005 07:28 AM

thats fuckin hot.