90's QB Hip Hop ASIDE From Illmatic/It Was Written Saved My Life!

heBAY

i always thought nature was highly underrated and way better than cormega...

You MAY just get some hate for that...a lot of Mega fans out there, for good reason.

Old Nature was nice...Wild Gremlins Nate was not so. Kinda like Child Of The Ghetto G-Dep and post-Bad Boy G-Dep...sorry that's Harlem (it was the dust that did it to Dep...I just think Nate legitimately ran out of fuel).

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega came at Nas maaad times, kid

that Love in Love Out was just one track where he decided to kick it on some heartfelt ish

and even though you said you didn't want this to become a Nas thread

but he was the best emcee from QB at that time

no debating

Oh i know that he took various shots at Nas, but I really felt Love in Love out, he explained the whole story without makin' fun of him.

I agree 100% about Mega, i bought some Mega mixtape in Kingston when I was like 10 on a hockey tournament, and I never really knew what I had on my hands until I was 16 and listening to that shit every day.

American Beauty, Dead Man Walking, Testament, The Come Up, Killaz Theme, Angel Dust, Redemption w/ AZ (Thinkin of a masterplan me and my man hand to hand on the grind since a half a gram) all good stuff..

I personally think that Mega was one of the more talented rappers comin' out of the Q-Boro but similar to AZ he dropped jewels and not radio hits..

Shit, from 1996 to 2000, this was all I listened to.

I remember listening to Illadelph Halflife under the headphones in the store and I was like "Goddamn!"

I even took a seminar with this punk-ass professor named Kermit Campbell who didn't know hip-hop from a can of paint. He made us read shit like The Rhetoric of Popular Culture and Black Noise and analyze the "artifacts" embedded in the "texts." What a bunch of bullshit. I just wanted to know about rhymes and beats!

One of the best shows I ever saw was in Austin, Texas. The Roots, Dead Prez, Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek, Jaguar, Guru, Slum Village, and Bahamadia. This huge dude in front of me had his fist in the air the entire time (three hours!) and would periodically yell out, "Fuck MTV! Fuck BET! Real hip-hop! Real hip-hop!" Then toward the end of the show, everyone got onstage together and was freestyling with the Roots band and DJ Hi-Tek providing the beat and Jaguar scatting and it began to rain and the crowd surged forward and everyone began yelling, "Hip! Hop! Hip! Hop! Hip! Hop!"

God, it's awesome to be young and in love.

Here's the non-Illmatic stuff I remember loving:

The Roots: Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart

Black Star: Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are Black Star

GZA: Liquid Swords

Raekwon: Only Built 4 Cuban Linx

DJ Honda: HII

Common: One Day It’ll All Make Sense

Lost Boyz: Love, Peace, & Nappiness

The Notorious B.I.G.: Ready to Die, Life after Death

The Pharcyde: Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

A Tribe Called Quest: Low-End Theory, Midnight Marauders

Gang Starr: Moment of Truth

Mobb Deep: The Infamous

2pac: All Eyez on Me, Don Killiuminati: The 7-Day Theory

Soundbombing, Volume 2

The Lyricist Lounge, Volume 1 and 2

Handsome Boy Modeling School: So…How’s Your Girl?

Deep Puddle Dynamics: The Taste of Rain…Why Kneel

And a bunch of other stuff: DJ Ev mixtapes, Camp Lo, Geto Boys, Do or Die, UGK, Domino, MC Breed, etc.

I also listened to a bunch of crappy (and not-so-crappy) New Jack Swing shit: Blackstreet, Keith Sweat, Silk (!), Case, Tony! Toni! Tone!, etc.

Takes me back.

Praise dueeeee...

Nah but I'm equally impressed...that Lazy shit was my joint...I just tried putting the fuckin' SPIT cd in my computer and the shit froze up my whole Windows XP...ahhhh.

"Queens thug, Carharrt jeans

G cap, Force 1's

And I don't care if you like it

You gettin' called son

Everyday on the block

Dimes out, tall guns..."

I even remember showing that shit to our friend Spot-Leezy and he was like "coool..." but he wasn't super-impressed as if it were some new Iman Thug over a LES or Charlemagne beat (one of the best producers from that era...wonder what he's up to now...he went on to do some shit for Shyne which was tough too).

You know what makes this even weirder...? I just realized that's not even a song I've heard. The one I have from the MIX CD (which by the way I just went home and uploaded. Shit was scratched to bits, thought it was gonna do me dirty like yours, but no) is actually with G Rap, Ma Barker, and some other cat from "black Guerila fam/5 family click".

His verse starts:

"Dont ever think twice like laze might/

not blow shots at you and ya click in broad daylight/

flee back to queens with your fake ice/

dump your car over the bridge and put your face near the brake lights"

Or some such shit.

I'm not suprised our mutual friend wasn't impressed though, I feel like our taste differs a bit, but then again, we don't really talk about rap much.

I like those simple Greez bars.

I'll get you the tape later...It also features a song with the Infamous P himself.

damn, this thread is heaven sent. brings back some nostalgia.

used to sit around with my brother and listen to his album collection and thought my bro was the shit for it. on a side note, busted out Murda Muzik a couple weeks ago, been lsitening to it straight ever since.

P yeah you heard of him but, I ain't concerned with them

Nigga I pop more guns than you holdin them

Back to back benzes / Wit the wild gremlins

Gotier style lenses /

:/ AZ ft Nas - How ya living

fucking dope ass song.. look into all AZ's album i kno he cant from QB but... hes nasty

Throwin' passes from a barrel, shoulder pads, apparel,

but the Q.B. don't stand for no quarterback,

- ???

Nas, clearly...I think he should be brought up. You cant talk QB without talking Nas. I just dont know how to dicuss him in a new way without this turning into allhiphop or sohh.

One of the best shows I ever saw was in Austin, Texas. The Roots, Dead Prez, Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek, Jaguar, Guru, Slum Village, and Bahamadia.

/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with the thread topic, but goddamn..thats a dream lineup. Can I ask if you're white though? I was always confused at white people showing up to a Dead Prez show. Not that they shouldnt, but you know. Its almost like a white dude with red hair and freckles showing up to a Nation Of Islam rally in 1968.

Nas, clearly...I think he should be brought up. You cant talk QB without talking Nas. I just dont know how to dicuss him in a new way without this turning into allhiphop or sohh.

One of the best shows I ever saw was in Austin, Texas. The Roots, Dead Prez, Talib Kweli and DJ Hi-Tek, Jaguar, Guru, Slum Village, and Bahamadia.

/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with the thread topic, but goddamn..thats a dream lineup. Can I ask if you're white though? I was always confused at white people showing up to a Dead Prez show. Not that they shouldnt, but you know. Its almost like a white dude with red hair and freckles showing up to a Nation Of Islam rally in 1968.

ha, funny story... i was at a dead prez show in phx, az this past winter and almost got shot. (i'm a white girl) it was over some stupid graf beef though and i would've been the innocent bystander that usually dies.

That's Dead Prez's whole fanbase right there. You know they came up playing show's with hardcore bands at ABC No Rio (local spot of punkrock legend in my bits)???

But yeah...They hate that shit.

As for Ali Vegas (in another post) I could've sworn he wasn't from the bridge, but I'll look into that.

As for Nasir (KtotheH), what is there to discuss???(5)

ha, funny story... i was at a dead prez show in phx, az this past winter and almost got shot. (i'm a white girl) it was over some stupid graf beef though and i would've been the innocent bystander that usually dies.

OT: At the show in Austin, when Dead Prez were onstage and they yelled out, "How many of y'all are in school?!" and everyone cheered because it's Austin and it's a college town. Then they yelled out, "How many of y'all know that y'all bein' taught bullshit?!" and everyone was like, "What the hell?" Then Dead Prez went into a song.

After that, Dead Prez yelled out, "How many of y'all out there hate meat?!" and at that point the entire crowd was really perplexed. I know I was. They were showing a vegetarian-themed slide show on the underside of the canopy.

Ktothe: I'm Vietnamese!

OT: At the show in Austin, when Dead Prez were onstage and they yelled out, "How many of y'all are in school?!" and everyone cheered because it's Austin and it's a college town. Then they yelled out, "How many of y'all know that y'all bein' taught bullshit?!" and everyone was like, "What the hell?" Then Dead Prez went into a song.

After that, Dead Prez yelled out, "How many of y'all out there hate meat?!" and at that point the entire crowd was really perplexed. I know I was. They were showing a vegetarian-themed slide show on the underside of the canopy.

That's a great story.

That pretty much sums up DP. Except when I saw them there was a lot more hate speech. This was around the time they put out that track from RBG about robbing the pizza man.

I didn't know their history...thats interesting, the hardcore thing.

And about Nas, i dont know? It just seems odd to leave him out of a QB discussion. I think im hoping someone has some new incite into him. Maybe someone can explain why he's so bad at picking beats. I just happen to be listening to his discography the other day and I realized the major reason I loved his last two albums are because he's Nas. If it was any other mc i wouldnt listen to them rhyming over such boring production, or even the same damn beat for the 4th time. Maybe we should leave him out.

edit: And I forgot to point out the DP audience was entirely white. It was incredibly akward. Almost as akward as me being the only black dude when I went to this Seattle MCs show (I forgot his name, mcenroe i think?) and he performed his song called White Mans burden. It was some guilt trip song about stealing rap from black people or something. I caught a few concerned looks and nods in my directions. As if to say they are down with the struggle or some shit. Meanwhile im like black people dont care just rock the damn mic.

For anyone who is interested in QB hip hop it is absolutely a must see and great basis for getting into the more obscure parts (despite it's typical hip hop doc nuances).

Didnt Mobb get run out of QB too? I've seen them do interviews in front of the spot but they are always nervous as hell with their eyes darting around to see if someone is going to run up on them. Especially P, dude always looks shook (hah?). Plus they keep getting robbed by other QB dudes...

Didnt Mobb get run out of QB too? I've seen them do interviews in front of the spot but they are always nervous as hell with their eyes darting around to see if someone is going to run up on them. Especially P, dude always looks shook (hah?). Plus they keep getting robbed by other QB dudes...

wait, isn't he the official qb murderer?

eplSA1aMb6U

This is probably my favorite track off of The Infamous mostly because of Noyd. He's so smooth on that shit. I still bug out as soon as I hear the 'what up cousin?''. Its not even close to Noyds best track, but the swagger cant be denied. Thats the first time i've ever used 'swagger' in a serious manner.

VFmHt78nQS4

One of the three, maybe four songs, that kept me from melting this album in my microwave.

My knowledge of the more unknown QB mc's is lacking since I wasn't anywhere near New York at the time and still in grade school. So keep those dudes coming.

did you see the video with m-1 wearing TRUE RELIGION and driving a LAMBO?!?!

rbB4f1eyXY0

So ridiculous. They are the Black Eyed Peas of revolutionary and simultaneously gangster, rap music. I still think Get Free was a classic though...but thats totally off topic.

Is there an archive of the Stretch and Bobbito show? Ive seen a lot of WKCR recordings floating around on the net but for only a select few artist. A complete collection would be a goldmine.