Wrangler 13MWZ Fit Quiz...

Jim Cissell

i find them very 501ish. the seat - designed for some heavy rodeo - is lost on me. i'm personally not a fan of the zipper either. but that said, those are only 2 minor criticisms. i think they're a pretty good fit actually, i just wear mine a little bit baggy so to minimize the cowboy look. i love the broken twill too - i like it for texture and of course for nostalgic reasons - now leg twist is good, but it certainly wasn't for rodeo ben.

what's your interest in them?

Edited by jdavis on Sep 17, 2005 at 09:24 AM

My interest in the 13MWZ jeans are their hertiage, the rivets on the back pockets, their construction, and their heavy-weight denim.

They are basically the same jean design that they came out with in 1947. While certainly not as iconic as the entire Levi's 501 model line, they are still undoubtedly entrenched in the American jeans tradition.

The back-pocket rivets are another very intriguing aspect, in my opinion. I've always liked the exposed rivets on the early Levi's 201 model, but am disappointed in its limited (LVC line) availablity, and the fact they are rather baggy in cut. Exposed rivets are simply very cool, and only add to the unique stying and perceived durability of the American jean.

Finally, the weight of the classic Wrangler 13MWZ is becoming somewhat unique as well. While many of the other (readily available) styles seem to be going to a slightly lighter-weight denim (including current Levi's 501s) the Wranglers are holding to their 14.5 oz. heavyweight denim, as standard fare. I've always loved the heavier weight denims, as they drape nicely, feel more substantial, and to me, the heavyweight feel is what a classic denim jean is all about.

I realize many of these features are available on some of the well-constructed Japanese brands, but jeans are a uniquely American product, and they just don't seem truly authentic unless they are from a genuine, American jeans company.

Anyway, my two cents on it all...

Jim

The classic 13MWZ cut has always interested me on three fronts. Their heritage, the back-pocket rivets, and the heavy-weight denim.

The Wrangler 13MWZ has remained much the same as in its introduction in 1947. While certainly not as iconic as the entire Levi's 501 line, it is still undoubtedly entrenched in the American jean history.

The back-pocket rivets have always intrigued me. The rivets found on the Levi's 201 model are very cool, but I've been disappointed in their limited availability (within the LVC line-up), and the 'baggy' cut of this vintage design. The back rivets definately add to the jeans mystique, and the perceived durability of this uniquely American design.

Finally, while the trend appears to be moving toward a lighter-weight denim in contemporary jeans (including the current 501 line), 13MWZs are still offering their authentic, 14.5 oz heavy-weight fabric. In my opinion, jeans are meant to be heavy - they drape better, look better, and just feel much more satifying and substantial in the wearing. Jeans are meant to be heavy (and while I understand the early Levi's were both 10 and 12.5 oz in weight, the heavy-weight material certainly seems to suit their work-heritage MUCH better.

Anyway, that's my two cents on an often overlooked, well-fitting and constructed product...

Jim

Jim Cissell

you speak so strongly about wrangler. you must be either a passionate collector or a very good employee of vf corp.

either way i like what you say, as i find that most people tend to ignore lee and wrangler. as much as i prefer levi's i still admire what wrangler and lee have done. how couldn't you after all they've both been around since before jeans were fashion (although wrangler is arguably very close). and i'm with you that the 13mwz is a well-constructed product.

you certainly speak very fondly of the 13mwz. i've with you that they're often overlooked and that they're also a well-constructed product. with me it's the heritage that impresses me the most - the fact that levi's, lee and wrangler all come from a time when jeans were workwear and not fashion. and i do appreciate the little wrangler nuances, like the pocket tag being plastic, so as not to stick to leather saddles.

but i do feel that the contemporary 13mwz in its dry form is certainly lacking in its indigo. while the modern shrink-to-fit is a lighter weight denim, you must agree that its indigo is far deeper. and i personally wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice a few ounces of denim for a few more dips in the vat.

what are your thoughts?

you certainly speak very fondly of the 13mwz. i've with you that they're often overlooked and that they're also a well-constructed product. with me it's the heritage that impresses me the most - the fact that levi's, lee and wrangler all come from a time when jeans were workwear and not fashion. and i do appreciate the little wrangler nuances, like the pocket tag being plastic, so as not to stick to leather saddles.

but i do feel that the contemporary 13mwz in its dry form is certainly lacking in its indigo. while the modern shrink-to-fit is a lighter weight denim, you must agree that its indigo is far deeper. and i personally wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice a few ounces of denim for a few more dips in the vat. indigo is very important - to the degree that if you compared a bolt of 13mwz denim to a bolt of shrink-to-fit denim, i'm sure the majority would choose the deeper shade... only a few would say 'make me some jeans from the lighter shiney one?'

what are your thoughts? i have 2 pairs myself.

jdavis - those were some excellent points you made on the denim and indigo issue. I guess I didn't really consider that. In fact, that is probably one way Wrangler holds down their costs, buy accomplishing less dipping. It's too bad everything has to be cheaped-out on , one way or another. I guess in a world of Wal-Marts, every penny is scrutinized anymore.

I like the 13MWZ because it is an 'underdog' of sorts in the current jeans fashion world. To be honest, I don't like the 'cowboy' look on me - the real tight fit, the too long inseam over the pointy boots, and the big belt buckle - but I appreciate that heritage and the cowboy culture those jeans represent. Just another aspect of our diverse background here. In fact, that cowboy heritage is a big part of what makes jeans attractive to the rest of the world.

I feel if you wear the 13MWZ 'like a pair of Levi's', you get a nice look - lean, and almost 50s, 'Brando' classic feel. And like I said, those back-pocket rivets are pretty nifty...

Jim

Jim Cissell

• 3 weeks later...

just got a pair of the rigid indigo slim cut wranglers,they're the 936DEN for $20 . . . been wearing them for about a month irregularly. started out feeling like canvas but got softened up after a couple of days . . they fit great, though the rise is ridiculous. they were pretty tight all around for like a week but have streteched out decently . . overall i was blown away at the quality of the stitching and how they were put togther, very sturdy, loads of copper rivets (front & back), heavy twill denim, AND made in the US . . . all for $20, though you can only find them in western wear stores and online of course . . http://www.langstons.com/101519.html . .the flare isn't that bad either . . they're defly not straight cut, but the bottoms are a reasonble boot cut, alot smaller than some of the levi premium boot cuts for sure.

i put up a piucture under the what are you wearing thread for a general fit idea.

no problem . . just saw the other post, must have passed right by each other . . . I'm a size 34 and the 34s fit perfect after about a week of wear . . haven't washed them yet so they'll probably end up shrinking a bit but I imagine i should be able to stretech them out again with wear.

Edited by the black arm on Oct 5, 2005 at 08:49 PM

• 1 month later...